Tips for Non-FTTF & No Cabana

kako14

Hi, this is my first post but I've been reading all of the reviews very carefully as its my first cruise on Carnival in about 12 years. I appreciate all of your knowledge. I'm going on the Pride out of Baltimore on an 8-day cruise in April 2016. Its my husband and I, our 2 kids (age 5 and 2), my mom, and my in-laws.

I booked the cruise a few weeks ago (thinking I was ahead of the game!) and realized I'm late. FTTF is sold out, as are the cabanas in Half Moon Cay. I was able to book a cabana at the pool in Grand Turk.

I'm very nervous about travelling with the 2 kids and not having FTTF (I'm already on the waiting list) as I don't know how they will do waiting in extremely long lines.

Any tips for me - specifically around getting on/off the ship and what to do in HMC without a Cabana. I'm looking to make things as easy and simple as possible with as little "logistics" as possible. Thanks

Show up later to the events to skip the long lines. You don't have to be the first off the boat...or the first one on. Please don't let not having FTTF worry you, we've enjoyed many cruises and ports without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ladygal4.4

Exactly why do you need cabanas? Are they a necessity? We have never rented cabanas, used the free lounge chairs, had the waiters come to us for drinks, had a great time.

I just can't see spending $200 for a cabana for a few hours.

You should not have a long wait out of Baltimore if you arrive around 12 or later.

They had us get a ticket on the Lido deck near the big TV, we had #8 I think and we were off on the third or forth tender. Really easy and fast. We were in our lounge chair before the cabanas were ready. So get ticket, wait anywere you can hear the annoucments and head to front of ship deck A and off you go

No need for FTTF at HMC or Grand Turk. Tenders run all day at HMC and there are plenty of places to park yourselves without a cabana. The beach at HMC is practically endless. Plenty to do (or not) as you wish without a cabana.

Cabana at Grand Turk - Meh, not something I would pick. They are not exactly poolside. Sort of set up along the outside perimeter of the pool area behind the loungers. To me they just seemed ... I dunno.. odd. we had considered getting one in the past but we've been there numerous times and never saw the need once we were there.

A hint for Grand Turk and possibly HMC. Bring some insect repellent with you. we've experienced bites from sand fleas at the beach at Grand Turk.

If you decide to walk up the beach a wee bit towards Jack Shack, the beach is nicer. Not as much coral under the water. You might also run into Tofor up the beach a bit. Tofor is the local beach dog from jacks Shack. He's a gooooood dog. Loves to play, dig holes, and chase the water. :D

Touchy subject alert. Is the little one potty trained? If not, the pool at Grand Turk may be a no go. I don't recall seeing a kiddy pool there and the whole swim diaper thing may not be looked upon favorably. (there was a big Norovirus thing not long ago attributed to the pool, Margaritaville area).

Have a great cruise, don't fret not having FTTF. The beach will still be there. Relax and don't let the pre cruise hype and jitters get to you. Go, relax, and go with the flow. You'll be fine. :)

You do NOT need a cabana to have a great beach day! So don't worry about that! The beach is great....sun or shade...pull your chair under a tree!!! Kids LOVE playing in the sand...if you got a cabana, you would be OUT of it, more than in it!

If you're still interested in FTTF or cabana keep watching. Especially near final payment date.

More FTTF could possibly be released. If you're on a roll call post your interest there as well.

On one of my cruises I lamented on my roll call that I hadn't been able to get a cabana at HMC. A family on our roll call decided to upgrade to the larger villa, I sent her a personal check and got her cabana. If she'd just released it back to Carnival I may or may not could have caught it.

They also offer 'shells' at HMC but I've never used one.

I've seen photos of folks turning two lounge chairs on their sides and draping a towel across them to build kind of like a fort for kids to play in and add shelter from sun.

I would also recommend walking a bit farther down the beach to Jack's Shack. We were there this past April and found it to be much less crowded and the water was so much nicer - no seaweed like there was where the ships dock. Tofor the dog is always there and he is very entertaining. We saw a little 2 year old just laying on him and it didn't bother him at all. He loves to dig in the sand and will try to catch the sand if you throw it in the air. I also believe it would be easier for your little ones to play in the water there.

There is plenty of shade on both HMC (also tons to do from water to playground) and GT. I reccomend walking down the beach to the left in GT and taking the island tram tour before relaxing on the beach.

Don't worry about traveling with kids. Camp is great and they will have tons of fun. Relax and enjoy some adult time.