Self Drive Tour - Need help please

cessnabmw

We are planning on renting a car in St. Thomas and doing a drive around teh island.

We are thinking of taking this route. Has anyone done this? Is it do-able? Are any of the stops not worth it? Are there any we must see/do?

Would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

st%20thomas.jpg

Plan on getting lost a lot ! The roads are not well marked and it can be confusing but as has been said, the island isn't that big so you will eventually find your way. You have so many stops planned that you will have little time to enjoy any one place. There are entrance fees at Magens and Smith Bay.

I would say stay on the road going west past the airport, UVI, and around. See a part of the island that many people miss.

Exactly! I think I would start off heading that direction, through down town, past the airport & around the west end. That way, if you are running short on time, you can skip one of the beach stops. They are all lovely, but there isn't that much difference. There are 2 botanical gardens along your route & Drakes Seat has wonderful views.

Exactly! I think I would start off heading that direction, through down town, past the airport & around the west end. That way, if you are running short on time, you can skip one of the beach stops. They are all lovely, but there isn't that much difference. There are 2 botanical gardens along your route & Drakes Seat has wonderful views.

Also, in my opinion the view from Drake's Seat is better than Mountaintop anyway.

The last time we rented a car in St. Thomas, one of our planned stops was in downtown Charlotte Amalie, but we couldn't find any parking. :( So we had to skip that, after wasting nearly an hour trying to park.

Also, don't delay getting over to the rental office to pick up your car. With Budget, at Havensight, I've seen them run out of cars and turn people away (even though those people had confirmed reservations).

Parking is at a premium downtown.

As far as beaches go, It depends on what you want to do. Magens is lovely, but tends to be crowded & is not good for snorkeling. Sapphire was my favorite beach when I lived there. They have food, a beach bar & the snorkeling by the reef is good.

Here is the web cam

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

Smith Bay/ Lindquist is the beach in the Hannah & her horse commercial & is gorgeous, but they are in the process of adding amenities. Like Magens, there is a small fee for this beach.

Coki is lively & next to Coral world which is a fun stop.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see how you will have time to go to the places listed on your itinerary and spend time in Charlotte Amalie unless you are doing a drive by only of the beaches.

It will be difficult to find parking in Charlotte Amalie so best to not take rental car there. Less than 2 miles from the dock.

I don't see how you will have time to go to the places listed on your itinerary and spend time in Charlotte Amalie unless you are doing a drive by only of the beaches.

It will be difficult to find parking in Charlotte Amalie so best to not take rental car there. Less than 2 miles from the dock.

Thank you.

Yes, mostly a drive by. Will pick one of the beaches and spend maybe some time there.

For us, it's more about seeing the Island as a whole.

Yes, I think, we will return the rental then just walk to Charlotte Amalie if we have time.