Carnival's policy on name changes

Rockitman

My good friend's mother purchased a cruise, 2 cabins for 3 people.

She has herself and her daughter in one cabin and her partner in the other.

Her partner was just diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer and as a result cannot go on this cruise which leaves port the 21st of November.

And now recently, the mother has decided she just can't go on this cruise while her partner is staying home and starting chemo.

So my friend asked if I would like to go on the cruise in place of her mother. I said yes, of course, and it was a simple $50 name change fee.

We are trying to get another friend of ours to take the partner's place but since the room is in the partner's name, Carnival will not allow it, and also something about the name change deadline has expired. It all sounds pretty ridiculous that they can't simply change the name at this point, provided that medical reasoning.

No, they did not purchase trip insurance. My friend has escalated it to the higher levels and from what it sounds like, the best Carnival may do will be to give a partial refund on the cabin. Of course, you know they will then turnaround and book it for someone else. Bastards! This is a full cruise too.

If Carnival cannot bend for this unique situation, this may be the last time they get my cruising business.

Shame on you Carnival.

If you change everyone in the stateroom, it becomes a new booking. If you change only 2 people, than it is the same booking. What you are asking is for them to transfer a booking to another person, and no cruise lines allows it. I'm pretty sure you can't change airline tickets either.

If you change everyone in the stateroom, it becomes a new booking. If you change only 2 people, than it is the same booking. What you are asking is for them to transfer a booking to another person, and no cruise lines allows it. I'm pretty sure you can't change airline tickets either.

1 of the original 3 is still going. We are trying to change the 2 others. One has successfully been done, they are refusing to do the other.

Ok, think I get it.

3 people, two cabins.

A&B in one cabin, C in another.

In this scenario only A or B can be changed, not both. No one can change for C.

Edited by SadieN

1 of the original 3 is still going. We are trying to change the 2 others. One has successfully been done, they are refusing to do the other.

The reason they will not change that one is there is only one person in that cabin. The other cabin, one of the original persons is still booked. You were able to do a name change. Second cabin would be considered a new booking.

As mentioned no cruise line would allow you to replace a person in a solo cabin with a new person. If they allowed that, people could book a cabin then sell it for a profit.

You could try adding a person to the partners cabin, then just let the partner be a no show.

That is an interesting idea. Just wondering what the extra cost would be.

I had to change the name of my companion on my reservation that leaves in about two weeks.

Since I am the primary on the booking, changing the name of my companion was easy, and only required a $50 fee. My Travel Agent told me that I had up to three days prior to embarkation to make the change. My Travel Agent did state that changing the name of the primary person on the reservation would be much more difficult.

Luckily, I didn't have to do that, so I'm not quite sure what that would entail.

My good friend's mother purchased a cruise, 2 cabins for 3 people.

She has herself and her daughter in one cabin and her partner in the other.

Her partner was just diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer and as a result cannot go on this cruise which leaves port the 21st of November.

And now recently, the mother has decided she just can't go on this cruise while her partner is staying home and starting chemo.

So my friend asked if I would like to go on the cruise in place of her mother. I said yes, of course, and it was a simple $50 name change fee.

We are trying to get another friend of ours to take the partner's place but since the room is in the partner's name, Carnival will not allow it, and also something about the name change deadline has expired. It all sounds pretty ridiculous that they can't simply change the name at this point, provided that medical reasoning.

No, they did not purchase trip insurance. My friend has escalated it to the higher levels and from what it sounds like, the best Carnival may do will be to give a partial refund on the cabin. Of course, you know they will then turnaround and book it for someone else. Bastards! This is a full cruise too.

If Carnival cannot bend for this unique situation, this may be the last time they get my cruising business.

Shame on you Carnival.

I doubt very, very much that any cruise line would allow a name change on a cabin booked in only 1 name. That would be cancel the booking & start a new booking.

So sorry this is happening to her partner, but it is not Carnival's fault that they did not take out cruise insurance.

That is an interesting idea. Just wondering what the extra cost would be.

So here is how it would work. Just call Carnival and have them add someone to the partner's cabin. They will only have to pay the taxes and port fees. Then when you get to the pier, just have the friend in the partner's cabin say that the partner will check in later. When the partner ends up not showing up, they will refund her taxes and port fees.

You will still be paying the single supplement that they paid for the partner to cruise solo, but your friend will get to go. If you are more than 2 weeks before sailing, then the other option would be to just cancel the partner completely and get a partial refund, but of course then your friend wouldn't get to go.

Unfortunately that is just the way the cruise lines work, and they all require at least 1 original person in the cabin to remain in the cabin. So if there was only 1 to begin with, then they don't allow name changes.

The reason they will not change that one is there is only one person in that cabin. The other cabin, one of the original persons is still booked. You were able to do a name change. Second cabin would be considered a new booking.

Book a second person in the second cabin. You pay port fees. Then the first person just never shows up.

Book a second person in the second cabin. You pay port fees. Then the first person just never shows up.

We tried this and they said No No No!

The reason they said no is because they are fully booked they said.

That is just plain silly. Here you have a cabin with only one occupant and they can't allow a second in there because they are full?

Bull****e!

They should wrap all their ships with pretty red tape.

We tried this and they said No No No!

The reason they said no is because they are fully booked they said.

That is just plain silly. Here you have a cabin with only one occupant and they can't allow a second in there because they are full?

Bull****e!

They should wrap all their ships with pretty red tape.

That is true. Once life boat capacity is reached, no one else allowed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That is true. Once life boat capacity is reached, no one else allowed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How can they be considered full capacity if we all know at least cabin that only has 1 person in it? I bet there's many more.

Bah!

Because other cabins have extra berths occupied. This is a Thanksgiving cruise. It's probably been sold out for a while now.

Need to cancel now and recoup 25% of the cruise fare. If you wait til '14 days or less' there will be no refund.

Unfortunately this situation is not unique. Every so often someone starts a thread about a sudden illness or death.

Edited by SadieN

How can they be considered full capacity if we all know at least cabin that only has 1 person in it? I bet there's many more.

Bah!

There may even be open cabins but once the established lifeboat capacity is reached, there's no more passengers to be booked. The cruise line is not going to turn down money for another paying passenger.

I'm terribly sorry about your friend's illness. Unfortunately this is not Carnival's fault. If the ship has met it's lifeboat capacity no one can be added. Once your ill friend cancelled that was it. Had there been more than one person booked in the room it would be a different story. Just go on the cruise with your friend and enjoy yourself and don't spend another minute on being angry with an entity that is not at fault. Life is too short. JMHO

I'm terribly sorry about your friend's illness. Unfortunately this is not Carnival's fault. If the ship has met it's lifeboat capacity no one can be added. Once your ill friend cancelled that was it. Had there been more than one person booked in the room it would be a different story. Just go on the cruise with your friend and enjoy yourself and don't spend another minute on being angry with an entity that is not at fault. Life is too short. JMHO

Deleted reply. I misread the OP.

Edited by Sparky2