Hepatitis A Vaccine

angelbaby129

A friend who is going on the cruise with me had this vaccine recommended by her doctor because we're going to Cozumel. Unfortunately, you need 2 doses 6 months apart and we're just short of time to get the second one before the cruise. She and my other friend are concerned. How big of a deal is this? Does everyone else get this vaccine before going to Cozumel? The article I read said you get it from drinking the water and eating raw food. So, if we take bottled water with us and make sure our food is cooked, are we ok? Help!

A friend who is going on the cruise with me had this vaccine recommended by her doctor because we're going to Cozumel. Unfortunately, you need 2 doses 6 months apart and we're just short of time to get the second one before the cruise. She and my other friend are concerned. How big of a deal is this? Does everyone else get this vaccine before going to Cozumel? The article I read said you get it from drinking the water and eating raw food. So, if we take bottled water with us and make sure our food is cooked, are we ok? Help!

I'm sure you'll find very few cruisers who get vaccinated. My daughter who travels around Mexico (on buses and staying in hostels) has had it but having only done cruises I've never bothered.

Stay away from shrimp and ceviche too. The Hep A vaccine is really meant for frequent vacationers. I got it because I do spend quite a bit of my time in the Caribbean and Central America, especially in the winter.

That is a good vaccine to get in general but you don't need to get it. I got it a few years ago after having been going to Cozumel for twenty years. Not for Cozumel but because I started doing more traveling in undeveloped areas. Cozumel is a tourist place. The drinking water is filtered. You don't have to worry about the food. The doctor I am sure is reading CDC warnings for Mexico but people most often don't get vaccines for resort areas like Cozumel, Cancun, Riviera Maya...

Also about the two shots. If you do decide to get the vaccine the second one is a booster so if you decide to get the first one that would provide most of the protection. I would not worry about getting the second one before the cruise.

Edited by Charles4515