14 of us and most are 1st timers!

Andrea-H.

So excited...My parents celebrated their 50th Anniversary this year and decided to take the whole family on a trip.

After talking with a travel agent we decided on a cruise on the Disney Dream!

They wanted to make it a surprise for the grandkids for Christmas. This is going to be so hard to keep this secret. I am obsessed with making sure we do this right since they are the only ones that have done this before! All the tips are all so overwhelming! Too much to know and just want to relax but at the same time have fun! AAAHHHH!

wow that is one expensive trip/

Congrats on booking. Disney is the premium line.

What kind of rooms did you book?

I would keep the surprise no matter how excited you get-- the kids will be over the moon

its a holiday weekend so expect tons of kids.

First, let me say this is just my personal opinion. I'm sure there are some who will not agree. Depending on the age of the grandkids - I wouldn't be convinced that this is the best ship. I know when people who haven't cruised think of taking a cruise for the first time - they instantly think they should do a Disney cruise.

We have an 11 year old daughter and a 26 year old daughter. We have been cruising for 28 years. We have been 50 + cruises - so while some may disagree. It is our personal experience. Unless the grandparents are wealthy - or the kids totally crazy about Disney I think the newer Norwegian ships have more to offer. With the difference in price - you can upgrade to a nicer room or choose fabulous excursions. While there are several Disney ships we enjoy -we just prefer the new NCL ships.

First, let me say this is just my personal opinion. I'm sure there are some who will not agree. Depending on the age of the grandkids - I wouldn't be convinced that this is the best ship. I know when people who haven't cruised think of taking a cruise for the first time - they instantly think they should do a Disney cruise..

I will agree with you-- except the Carnival Breeze or splendor for the kids. (at a whopping savings.

for the OP-- the agent makes commission on what she sells-- of course she is going to tell you Disney is the right fit. it costs you more so the agent will make more money.

Pricing the cruise-- I didnt even pay that for 2 people in a cabin on Royal.

(I think we are paying 1450 for 2 total on freedom of the seas for a 7 day cruise.

So excited...My parents celebrated their 50th Anniversary this year and decided to take the whole family on a trip.

They wanted to make it a surprise for the grandkids for Christmas. This is going to be so hard to keep this secret. I am obsessed with making sure we do this right since they are the only ones that have done this before! All the tips are all so overwhelming! Too much to know and just want to relax but at the same time have fun! AAAHHHH!

Disney is a great cruise line with enjoyable things to do for ALL ages.

Look forward to having a WONDERFUL time! :D

OP-- what a fabulous Christmas present and surprise for the grandkids!!! Regardless of which line you chose (and I think Disney sounds fabulous) if you are together and want to have fun, you will!!! Good luck keeping the secret.... [emoji106]

I have never cruised on Disney, we are loyal to Carnival, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE that you are surprising the kiddos with this trip. We went to Disney World for the first time in July, and we surprised our kids with the news just a few days before we left. We set up a scavenger hunt for them, and at the end they learned we were going. It was so awesome, and a memory we will treasure for the rest of our lives. Have a GREAT cruise!

SOunds like you will have a blast! May I ask how long in advance will you be surprising the kids? My wife and I surprised our kids with a Christmas Disney vacation (park, not cruise) two years ago and let them know on X Mas eve (our flight was leaving the next morning). They were excited but not OMG We are going to Disney. It was a bit overwhelming for them to find out the night before.

Depending on the ages, you may want to try some investigating to see what their reactions would be.

I wouldn't worry about it. Go with the flow. Do a bit of research into ports, just so you have an idea what to do when you get there.

Is the cruise going to be at Christmas, or a few months down the line? Because if it's a Christmas cruise, and you're really excited and looking forward to the cruise, why not share it with the children? You're going to have a great two minutes's fun breaking the news to the children; but to get that, you'll deprive them of the two months' excitement and anticipation that you're enjoying. If the cruise is at Easter, say, then they still get the anticipation of course.

Hope you all have a good time, sometimes surprise cruises can backfire.

Please let everyone involved know well in advance.

What age kids are going anyway?

Since your cruise is in Feb, schools will be in session. Older kids may not be too thrilled about missin, in fact it may be very difficult for them to do so. Some high school AP classes are quite intense and missing even a couple of days can be nearly a guarantee an A grade will be impossible to achieve. Parents who have very young kids may not want to go, and anyone under 6 months won't be allowed.

Disney wouldn't be my cruise line of choice...but since you aren't paying for it anyway, what does it matter. People report having a good time on Disney.

But I do wish you all well on your family event.

Edited by Lerin

Thank you all for the responses. We did go to a travel agent and had a specific week we could take the kids and not interfere with a lot of activities. The grandkids range in age. 24,18,15,14,14,12 & 9. We are going at the end February and are surprising them Christmas morning.

We weren't necessarily planning on a cruise. We were looking at resorts or renting a house even. We priced a lot of different options. We ended up getting a pretty good rate on the Disney Cruise even compared to other lines. We got two Deluxe family staterooms w/veranda and then two more Deluxe staterooms w/veranda...so most of my family in one(5 of us), my oldest daughter and her boyfriend in one, my sister and her family of 5 in one, and my parents in the last one. We all love Disney, but that wasn't the deciding factor. A lot had to do with the dates we could go and when we had to be back by.

The older kids have just been wanting to go to a beach or someplace warm. We live in the middle of the country and only a couple of them have seen a beach live and in person. I am kind of glad the Disney Dream is what we are going to do so that we can do Disney before all the kids are too old. All the kids have been also wanting to go back to Walt Disney World, so this can be the next best thing. I hope we all have a good time!

You have no idea how much I envy you. Just the thought of vacationing with my family would be fantastic. To do so on a cruise:eek: ...... wow.

Sorry to say that will never happen for me, but, it won't stop me, SO, and son from cruising.

Meanwhile, they can sit on their couches every day, watch the boob tube, and hopefully, remember me in their will so I can go on more cruises.;)

DW and I are in our 60s, and have sailed 9 times with Carnival. We have done 2 repo cruises, (one Panama Canal ) one 15 day Hawaiian cruise, and a bunch of 7 day Caribbean cruises. We could never afford them on an expensive cruise line.We would love to do a Disney cruise someday. The cost of just the booking is so expensive, then add in the photos, excursions, etc and its way beyond our reach. Dont let anyone talk you out of Disney, they provide a wonderful cruise experience for young and old.