Suggestions please

Cruisin 4 Ever

Has anyone used Travelguard for travel insurance?

I don't usually buy insurance because I have it on my credit card but my upcoming trip cost far exceeds what my credit card covers (only $1000) so I need to buy additional insurance.

I'm from Canada so some of the ones I"ve seen recommended on here aren't for Canadians

Any tips on things I need to consider when getting travel insurance? I have ull medical coverage when travelling outside of Canada so I only need the trip cancellation part.

I use insuremytrip.com. Travelguard is one of the insurances offered there. You plug your information in and you will see prices for many different brands of insurance. It is hard to give a review of an insurance unless you have made a claim..which I have not done.

Has anyone used Travelguard for travel insurance?

I don't usually buy insurance because I have it on my credit card but my upcoming trip cost far exceeds what my credit card covers (only $1000) so I need to buy additional insurance.

I'm from Canada so some of the ones I"ve seen recommended on here aren't for Canadians

Any tips on things I need to consider when getting travel insurance? I have ull medical coverage when travelling outside of Canada so I only need the trip cancellation part.

I have always dealt with TravelGuard thru Carnival as it is convenient and, I think, competitive in price. I have never had a problem but I do have a claim pending right now regarding damaged luggage on a recent cruise. Waiting to see how that turns out.

has anyone purchased their annual plan vs. the one trip coverage? just thinking that I travel frequently maybe it's worth picking up an annual policy. Does the annual still cover cruise-specific things like having to fly to the next port?

I have always dealt with TravelGuard thru Carnival as it is convenient and, I think, competitive in price. I have never had a problem but I do have a claim pending right now regarding damaged luggage on a recent cruise. Waiting to see how that turns out.

"Travelguard" is the name of an insurance that is underwritten by AIG. Carnival's vacation protection is underwritten by TransAmerica. Just trying to clarify in case of any confusion. "Travelguard" is a brand, not a term to be used in referencing "travel protection".

We had to file a claim through Travel Guard (which we purchased independently). No issues. We were inside the 50% penalty phase when we had to cancel and we received a full refund on or cruise. Do make sure that you save every piece of documentation because they will ask for everything imaginable if you do have to file a claim, but overall, the process was very straight forward.

We have bought 10+ policies from Travelguard and have made 2 claims. They were easy to work with and had no problems. When we were stranded in Tampa this Febrauary, I called about our options. They were the ones to suggest renting a car and driving to Orlando (which was covered/reimbursed).

Fantastic. Thanks so much everybody. 2 other questions - my credit card offs free travel insurance of up to $1000. And I have about $3000 in non-refundable costs. So I plan on buying $2000 coverage with Travelguard. Are these any issues with having part insured with the CC and one with travelguard? And has anyone purchased their "cruise add-on" I did quite understand what it is.

Hi, I'm researching travel insurance, and intend to go with travelguard based upon lots of recommendations in this thread and others. I went to insuremytrip first, and got a quote for $157 for the platinum coverage. Then I went on the travelguard website and got a quote for platinum for $95! I can't see any differences in coverage. Do people generally purchase directly from travelguard? Thanks!

figured it out - I put in just my deposit in the travelguard site, vs. full trip cost in the insuremytrip site. Move along- nothing to see here! : )

Edited by moseylou
edited because I figured it out

Fantastic. Thanks so much everybody. 2 other questions - my credit card offs free travel insurance of up to $1000. And I have about $3000 in non-refundable costs. So I plan on buying $2000 coverage with Travelguard. Are these any issues with having part insured with the CC and one with travelguard? And has anyone purchased their "cruise add-on" I did quite understand what it is.

You need to check the exact terms of the specific policy you are considering purchasing.

Some policies require that one cover ALL non-refundable costs, or the coverage will not be valid.

if you haven't purchased yet, then we suggest calling

TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL, don't just read summaries on their website.

Any of the reps there can answer this question for any policy you are considering, as long as they sell that type, and I believe they do sell Travel Guard policies.

(We don't use that company, but that's our own choice based upon both types of policies and costs, not because we are aware of anything "wrong" with them.)

GeezerCouple