MY REVIEW -- Cococay, Bahamas, Royal Caribbean's

I just came back from a Royal Car. Cruise out of Baltimore, MD and one of the stops was Cococay, Bahamas. Please see my review below and I hope it helps future travelers.

What is Cococay - It is a RC private island and often times a cruise will stop their for the day.

What to expect:

When I went 2 weeks ago, (Oct.2015) it was hot but the heat is not the issue really the sun is blaring and their is not a lot of shade (unless you are lucky enough to get a lounge chair under the shade.

What to wear:

This is the island to wear your lightest clothes, ladies - strapless dress over swimsuit, or short/swim suit, skort and tank top, short/tank top, if you KNOW you are going to swim and get a lounge chair then even a swim suit and sarong (longer length for modesty).

How do we get to the island:

We leave the boat by tender ship but it was one of the largest tenders I have ever seen, seats at least 200 people. The boat moves very slow so you "should" not feel motion sickness. The ride is about 10-15 minutes if that.

Can an older person or special needs person go to the island:

Yes, I witnessed the staff help an older man out his scooter (he could walk) and they helped him down the ramp, then to his seat), then his scooter was brought on the boat. Also I saw the special wheelchairs with the big wheels on the beach. I don't know the reserve process to get one of these items. I also witnessed ladies being helped with strollers, etc.

How do you get off the tender:

The tender docks and an automatic bridge comes down, the boat was secured and then the bridge came down, the bridge is carpeted so you won't fall or drop things through the planks.

Part Two...

Part Two:

How far is the walk from the tender to the beach -

Honestly, it is a long walk for the elderly or people in moderate health. The walk is on sand, and it is like a maze like hallway, their is not much shade and it is a good walk. I did observe golf type carts to take people to the beach but when it was time to leave, that is where I DID NOT SEE many golf carts to take you back. I waited for one and just had to break down and walk.

Lounge Chairs/ Shade:

Now here is where the DRAMA began for me!!! We did not leave the ship until about 10:30 am and an announcement was made that 2 ships were on the island. We could not find a lounge chair anywhere and my husband and I walked the beach both directions.

We ended up sitting at a picnic table by the food for the ENTIRE TIME, I did not get to go in the water, it was so crowded, we knew if we BOTH left our seat we would have LOST IT. So I just sent him to walk in the water.

If you want to go to this island, GET UP, AND BE ON THE FIRST TENDER, so you will be assured to get a lounge chair.

I watched many people just go back to the ship and we did that but we stayed about 2 hours and just left.

Is Food Served:

Yes, the food was great, men walk around selling drinks, there is a food station which has water and tea, punch etc. Food did not seem to be available until 12:30 and it was hamburger, hot dogs, rice/peas, ribs, dessert.

Are bathrooms available:

Yes, there are bathrooms in real buildings and my husband said they were clean.

Can I buy anything:

Yes, there was a shopping area that sold straw bags, t shirts, I did not get to see it because I was "watching the table" so I sent my husband. He said the prices seemed kind of high.

Would you recommend it:

I learned from this experience, any cruise that stops at a private island, GET UP, and be on the first or second tender so you are assured a lounge chair. I know you can reserve a cabana so I would also do that for sure, I don't know how far the walk would be for a cabana so keep that in mind if you have walking limitations.

I did not expect there to be 2 ships, but I wonder if their were even enough lounge chairs for one ship if you left at a later time like after 10:30 am.

I would go again, but I NOW KNOW what to expect.

Oh I forgot, activities:

What can we do on the island:

If you can swim, then you have a lot to do, their are floating devices (it looked like a jungle gym type thing in the water), and they have snorkeling and other water activities.

I also saw parasailing, which I recommend that if this is of interest to you, please consider doing it on this island. In my opinion, because this island is totally run by RC, I am confident the safety is the top priority.

I suppose it depends on how far you're willing to walk at Cocoa Cay and your physical limitations. We walked about 10-15 minutes away (past the kiddie area) and claimed hammocks under the pines and most of those hammocks remained unclaimed.

I preferred the hammocks to a lounge chair. We lay in our hammocks under the whispering pines reading our books and then took occasional dunks in the water.

Once they get a person off the ship, with a scooter......are there walkways or trails that one can cruise around on the scooter, or is it sand?

Are there trails that are scooter-able around the island?:)

I can't seem to find pictures showing this.....

Once they get a person off the ship, with a scooter......are there walkways or trails that one can cruise around on the scooter, or is it sand?

Are there trails that are scooter-able around the island?:)

I can't seem to find pictures showing this.....

I am going to say NO, I saw no scooter able trails. I did not see what happened when the elderly man departed the tender.

When I got off the tender it was ALL SAND, there was a few feet of concrete and then after than, all sand. I saw no concrete walkways. But I'd say ask on the ship before you take the tender. I don't know so I don't want to mislead you.

I would several questions before I got off the ship 1) after the golf cart is taken where does it take you and what is the environment 2) ask if arrangements can be made for a RCL Assistant to come with you (don't know if this is even possible) 3) can you reserve a golf cart to not only take you to the cabana destination but arrange for one to take you back to the SHIP. That is the key thing, back to the tender.

Honestly, I think this island is for the more physically able, if I knew in advance that the island would have been so crowded I would have stayed on the ship and stayed on the deck and relaxed.

Sounds like you missed the entire other side of the island.

There are plenty of shady areas over there. You keep walking don't stop until you pass all the water toys. Now you are on the other side where the sea grass and really shallow areas of the water are. Never crowded and plenty of loungers and even palapas/umbrellas.

2h4w1p1.jpg

Coco Cay is one of our absolute favorite stops.

Edited by BecciBoo

I would agree that two ships being there at the same time makes it really crowded. I have found lunch to be crazy with just one ship's worth of pax.

On the other hand, never had a problem with getting a chair with only one ship being there.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip!

Edited by TBone2K

Sounds like you missed the entire other side of the island.

There are plenty of shady areas over there. You keep walking don't stop until you pass all the water toys. Now you are on the other side where the sea grass and really shallow areas of the water are. Never crowded and plenty of loungers and even palapas/umbrellas.

2h4w1p1.jpg

Coco Cay is one of our absolute favorite stops.

Going to Coco Cay for the first time in January. Trying to look at maps and get the lay of the land. Which beach is this that is less crowded?

Part Two:

I did not expect there to be 2 ships, but I wonder if their were even enough lounge chairs for one ship if you left at a later time like after 10:30 am.

I would go again, but I NOW KNOW what to expect.

We were there on 10/27 and got lucky I guess as we were the only ship that day. We did not go early (around 11:00am) and there were plenty of lounge chairs. We snorkeled for the 1st time and had a GREAT time on Cococay. It even inspired us to snorkel in the Bahamas the next day.

Coco Cay is my #1 reason for RCCL loyalty. I absolutely love it there.

I also always find loungers under palm caps -- every cruise I snag one. Even later in the day.

I'm in my 40s but fit and active so I have zero issue walking farther away from the tender port to snag a nice location. One time I walked as far as I ever did and found some loungers AND an elderly lady in a sand wheelchair so I assume if she and her assistant could make it there, anyone could. She was the opposite of spry but was having a blast with her group.

I just love Coco Cay and I can't get enough. Have 3 more cruises in 3 months going there if weather permits tendering. Wish they had more food choices but I've never had bad food, either. And while I drink rarely, their Coco Loco drinks is ridiculously strong. They pour the rum in front of you and my last Coco Loco (in the $2 extra plastic strawed cup) had probably 3 ounces of rum poured in. That's more liquor than I typically drink in an entire 7 day cruise.

Also: excellent drink service every visit.

I guess if you would rather not spend all day at the beach, the other way to look at it is a chance to explore the ship and take advantage of the fact it isn't so crowded.

This is what we did a couple of cruises ago. We just stayed on the ship and enjoyed the pool areas not being crowded. That being said, we still haven't seen the island, so the next time we will venture out.

On Coco Cay today on the Enchantment. One ship here. Plenty of chairs in the shade just past the wave runner pier but before the water park. There are cement walkways up to the food and bathrooms so a scooter can do it. We did come on the first tender but our area never got crowded all day. Walked back to the first area to snorkel and it was fine. There were still loungers there. Short lines at lunch but very manageable. We shared a picnic table with a lovely couple from Minnesota and we made friends. Love it here! ImageUploadedByForums1447184642.767317.jpg.27f5c51f5c9f33068769e8ec62a7000f.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447184665.368753.jpg.1632bc770e73a3d80a602b7a6b86e76c.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447184691.404483.jpg.0b34dc6a2e6ede0d28735dac25cc254b.jpg

Forward and behind shots from my lounger right now and most if the day.

We walked to barefoot beach this morning but we didn't stay because it was too far away from the "action" for us.