From UK cruising first time help

lara 2

Some of the questions i need help for on my first cruise:

Princess Air- How good is it and which airlines are used, can you have pre assigned seats,are up grades worth it?

Pre cruise- Miami Intercontinental- Can you get into town from this hotel(Ocean drive etc)

Better to book shore excursions with Princess or locally

Any help will be greatly appreciated, getting nervous and excited in equal measures at the moment. Husband thinks I am getting paranoid!

Princess Air- How good is it and which airlines are used, can you have pre assigned seats,are up grades worth it?

Pre cruise- Miami Intercontinental- Can you get into town from this hotel(Ocean drive etc)

The answers to the airline questions will depend on which airline you get given. You might try and find out from Princess or through your travel agent, but you might not be able to get the information early. If you can get it, then trying to get seats pre-allocated is a good idea, if it is possible.

Whether an upgrade is worth it always depends on how much it's going to cost. For exmaple, going from economy to business class for £200 would be phenomenal value (but you will never see a deal like that). In contrast, going from economy to premium economy for £1000 would not be worth the money (IMHO).

As for "town" in Miami, you need to know about the different areas. (Go to this site and this site to get an overview of the city - use the links to navigate through the various sections of the guides.) The Intercontinental is in downtown Miami, on the mainland, but Ocean Drive etc. are on South Beach (technically a different city, IIRC) which is really a mile or so "offshore". You'd really need a taxi to get from one to the other, particularly at night.

Some of the questions i need help for on my first cruise:

Better to book shore excursions with Princess or locally

Any help will be greatly appreciated, getting nervous and excited in equal measures at the moment. Husband thinks I am getting paranoid!

Princess air depends on the cruise, some are with scheduled airlines some charter, your booking ref. should state which. If scheduled you should be able to pre book seats direct with the airline ONCE your flight is confirmed.

Unless Princess have changed, the Interconti Hotel is the airport one on 87th ave., which is miles from anywhere, but Princess will probably offer to bus you to a local mall on the day of your return.

Peruse the shore excursions available and only pick ones that you definitely want to take, and then only if you don't feel confident about booking independently.

Hi Lara 2,

We are going on Princess Sun in November. Our Princess air flights are booked with BA, thank goodness there has been an agreement with Gate Gourmet.

The Hotel is Miami Intercontinental West. Near the airport. Confirmed following enquiry to Princess as there are two Miami Intercontinentals.

The only excursion that we have booked so far is a trip organised by members of our role call. Cheaper than the Princess tour. May yet book some on ship, still debating.

Middy :)

Archived