LAFFNVEGAS "Live" from the Norwegian Jewel

LAFFNVEGAS

So happy I came across these postings as we are leaving on Jan 3rd for this cruise and it provided a LOT of information. We are fairly novice cruisers (only done 2) and we're taking Mom and Sis who are complete new-bees so should be fun! We only have BB connected balconies (not suites) towards the aft on Deck 10, with the UBP - so we probably wouldn't do much of the speciality dining. Nevertheless all the information was VERY MUCH APPRECIATED - thanks for taking so much time to post.

I am glad it helped you. I wish I had a cruise coming up on the Jewel, would love to return soon. You are going to have lots of fun. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisa, James D emailed me with information that you have been cruising on NCL recently. Like you, HAL and then Princess were our favorite lines. JD mentioned changes had been taking place at HAL and Princess and not for the good. Looks like its time for Barb and I to take another look at NCL since our last cruise with them back in 1994.

Lisa, James D emailed me with information that you have been cruising on NCL recently. Like you, HAL and then Princess were our favorite lines. JD mentioned changes had been taking place at HAL and Princess and not for the good. Looks like its time for Barb and I to take another look at NCL since our last cruise with them back in 1994.

Hi Terry, long time no speak :) Yes, I can honestly say NCL is our favorite cruiseline. It just feels comfortable yet the Suite product is so much better than HAL. But interestingly enough our next two cruises for 2016 are actually HAL with the Premiere sailing of the Koningsdam in April and Westerdam out os San Diego in October, then back to NCL Pearl in March 2017. I would love to sneak in an extra week and on the Jewel again

Lisa, hard to imagine the suites on NCL being better than the Neptune Suites on HAL and especially the Neptune Lounge perk. Looking to do the Panama Canal Fall 2017 and waiting for the schedule to be published. Pretty sure we won't be doing a suite but might be able to swing a mini-suite if I can save enough $$$$$$$.

Hi Lisa,

I have been following all your NCL and Holland suite posts with great interest. Now that we've just disembarked the Epic, I understand exactly what you mean. While that ship was way took big for us, the <haven experience blew us away. The HAL Neptune suites just can't compare.

We haven't abandoned HAL by any means, but NCL is now in the mix for us.

This one (of several) Haven experiences says it all: we had returned from a shore excursion an hour after the Haven restaurant had closed for lunch. We were fighting the crowds in the Garden Cafe when an employee spotted us. Calling us by name, we were lead to the glass elevator and seated in a small casual dining area behind the Epic restaurant. Alone, we dined and sipped wine overlooking a magnificent view of Sardinia. Aaah.

Happy sailings and holidays to you,

Marion

Hi Lisa,

I have been following all your NCL and Holland suite posts with great interest. Now that we've just disembarked the Epic, I understand exactly what you mean. While that ship was way took big for us, the <haven experience blew us away. The HAL Neptune suites just can't compare.

This one (of several) Haven experiences says it all: we had returned from a shore excursion an hour after the Haven restaurant had closed for lunch. We were fighting the crowds in the Garden Cafe when an employee spotted us. Calling us by name, we were lead to the glass elevator and seated in a small casual dining area behind the Epic restaurant. Alone, we dined and sipped wine overlooking a magnificent view of Sardinia. Aaah.

Marion

To me the Epic Haven is the best of all the NCL ships. Was David still the concierge?

Edited by hbe
wrong poet

Hi Lisa,

Marion

Hi Marion, I am so glad you enjoyed the NCL Suite Life, unfortunately HAL just does not even compete in this area. You may want to try the Jewel Class NCL ships, they are the same size ships as HAL Vistas and Signature Class. They have a very nice Haven granted not as big as Epic or the Breakaway Class but still quite nice or one can even step down a bit and still do the Suites with a modest price but get the full Suite Experience in categories SF and SE. That is basically how we do it with our Aft Suites. Which are basically the same price as HAL's Signature Suites. While HAL's Signature Suites are a nice layout with larger bathrooms everything else provided is inferior to what NCL offers. Especially the attention to passengers by the crew.

Until you have actually sailed Norwegian you just cannot compare. Like you we too will go back and forth between the two cruise lines. We have a lot of time invested with HAL being 4 Star and close to getting our 300 days with them. But we are also now Platinum with Norwegian. :)

Suites with a modest price but get the full Suite Experience in categories SF and SE. That is basically how we do it with our Aft Suites. Which are basically the same price as HAL's Signature Suites. While HAL's Signature Suites are a nice layout with larger bathrooms everything else provided is inferior to what NCL offers. Especially the attention to passengers by the crew. :)

Lisa........still trying to figure out some sort of price point for a possible 2017 Fall Panama Canal cruise. I'm guessing that the NCL Pearl and Jewel will still be making the West to East journey unless NCL starts running their larger ships with the new section of the Canal opening in 2016. Intrigued by the Aft Suites but if the pricing is comparable to the Neptune Suites on HAL they might just be a little to much for this old retired guy.

Lisa........still trying to figure out some sort of price point for a possible 2017 Fall Panama Canal cruise. I'm guessing that the NCL Pearl and Jewel will still be making the West to East journey unless NCL starts running their larger ships with the new section of the Canal opening in 2016. Intrigued by the Aft Suites but if the pricing is comparable to the Neptune Suites on HAL they might just be a little to much for this old retired guy.

Terry, to be honest I do not see NCL bringing over their larger ships to the West Coast for a few years. Both Pearl and Jewel will still be doing the Full Transit Panama Canal cruises in 2017. If you could swing it those aft category SF suites are the way to go ;) The Aft Suites are normally comparable to the Signature Suites rather than a Neptune. but since it is a full suite you get all the amenities they are offering. So over all a much better deal. Good example I have a HAL Westerdam cruise in Oct 2017 in a Signature Suite when I booked it it was identical to the category SF sailing the same weekend same itinerary on the Jewel. I would much rather be on the Jewel but the friends traveling all wanted the Westerdam :o But I would have gotten a lot more perks with NCL. But that was also when HAL had the Explore4 so I am getting Beverage Package and SBC. With NCL you have to look at the additional perks like the Ultimate Beverage Package and Dining Package that would be included with the Suite where right now HAL is not offering anything like that.

Lisa,

Thanks for the helpful information; I will definitely look into the SF and SE suites on Jewel class.

One more question: are these walk-in showers on SF and SE, or are you dealing with a high step-up tub/shower combo? I am asking, because, as an insurance adjuster, I thought that very high step-up tub in the Epic penthouse suite was an accident waiting to happen. The running joke between DH and I was, "cover me, I'm taking a shower."

We're off the Epic two days now, and I'm still feeling the glow.

Marion

Lisa,

Thanks for the helpful information; I will definitely look into the SF and SE suites on Jewel class.

One more question: are these walk-in showers on SF and SE, or are you dealing with a high step-up tub/shower combo? I am asking, because, as an insurance adjuster, I thought that very high step-up tub in the Epic penthouse suite was an accident waiting to happen. The running joke between DH and I was, "cover me, I'm taking a shower."

We're off the Epic two days now, and I'm still feeling the glow.

Marion

Marion, Unfortunately there is not a walk in shower, I wish there was. It is that high bath tub. Being slightly less then 5 foot trust me I have one heck of a time climbing into the tub :D That was the one thing I liked in the Haven on the Jewel from November 2014 was the huge walk in shower.

• 4 weeks later...

Lisa,

Taking a leap of faith and I just booked the NCL Jewel to Alaska for this coming June. Barb does not know that I have booked Penthouse 9002 (forward). It will be interesting to see how it compares to the HAL Neptune Suites. Not sure we will really use the butler and I'm already thinking I will miss the Neptune Lounge.

This will be a precursor cruise on NCL to see if we want to do a Fall 2017 with them or find a different line to go with. So I hope I made the right decision and that you and JD are right about NCL.

Terry Green

Lisa,

Taking a leap of faith and I just booked the NCL Jewel to Alaska for this coming June. Barb does not know that I have booked Penthouse 9002 (forward). It will be interesting to see how it compares to the HAL Neptune Suites. Not sure we will really use the butler and I'm already thinking I will miss the Neptune Lounge.

This will be a precursor cruise on NCL to see if we want to do a Fall 2017 with them or find a different line to go with. So I hope I made the right decision and that you and JD are right about NCL.

Terry Green

Hey Terry....if you are going on the 4th, come join our Roll Call!

Lisa,

Terry Green

Terry, that is Great!!!, In all honesty I doubt you will miss the Neptune Lounge. I much prefer the Suites on NCL over HAL. Plus I love having the Lavazza Coffee maker in my suite. The Butler is just an extensions of your Cabin Steward who brings afternoon treats who brings afternoon treats every day at 3pm :D I think over all you will be quite pleased :)