Denali Highway Jeep Excursion

Mailgirl

I have been to Denali three times and was looking for something new. Has anyone ever done the Denali Highway Jeep tour. Apparently from what I read this is a dirt road and rental car companies don't want you driving on dirt or gravel roads. They say the tour is 5 hours and offering a morning or evening tour.

Haven’t done the jeep tour although have driven the Denali Highway. The reviews on Tripadvisor are decent. There are rental agencies in Anchorage that do not have road restrictions. We’d explore that option so we didn’t get paired with folks we don’t know and don’t need to be in a caravan of jeeps along the highway. It’s an easy drive. Here’s one:

http://www.gonorth-alaska.com/index.php?id=reisen_reiseservice

I've also driven it, and the negative of this tour is the distance, not even getting half way. For a couple, the cost is way up there.

Even though the reviews are "decent", I'll speculate they are one sided - people who drive it would never consider this as a good tour. Very likely first timers on this road and not having approved cars. They are missing the distance possible. Just don't know about it.

Budget Queen, I have done Denali National park three times. The last time I went we did the shuttle all of the way to Wonder Lake. In your opinion since I have seen a lot of Denali, this jeep tour would be disappointing. Do you have any other suggestions for seeing wildlife and other wonderful scenery. I am looking for something new. We will be in Seward on 09/12/2016 and staying through 09/17. We usually start in Anchorage and work our way up to Denali.