First time on RCI, disembarkation question!

Hi everyone! Just booked a very last minute cruise on Nov 30th on the Independence as a post-surgery treat. This is my first time cruising with RCI on the advice of a friend who is Diamond Platinum Rainbow Plus Executive or something along those lines :p

I'm now in the process of booking flights back to my mother's house (we're flying back to Australia the next day) and was hoping to get some community input- we're due to dock at Ft. Lauderdale at 7 AM on a Saturday. We will be staying in a balcony, so no suite priorities or anything like that.

Our two flight options are a 10:20 AM flight out of Ft. Lauderdale airport, or 2:55 PM flight from the same airport. Since we only have limited time left with my mother before I fly back to Oz, I'd love to catch the earlier flight- if it's not too big a risk! Any input would be a great help. Hope this is in the right section.

Twice, our flights were between 9:45 and 10:40. We had no problem what so ever. There are tons of taxi's and shuttle buses to take you to the airport....which is only a few minutes away. Ft. Lauderdale, in my opinion is the easiest and best port. You would also have to do self-disembarkation, which means carrying off all of your luggage.

With all of that said....something may still go wrong. Getting into port late due to weather is one reason.

Most cruise lines advise not booking flights before 12:00 noon. Sooooo, do you feel lucky??? :) Have a wonderful cruise. :)

I agree...a 10:20 flight should be doable...about mid-way thru the cruise, they will ask those with early flight to inform them....do do that!

If you can do self-carry, you'll be off before the 1st groups are called....10 mns. to the airport....

Edited by cb at sea

I would also google and see how many ships are in port that day.

IF you are the only ship, that means your customs and security lines at the airport might not be that bad.

but... If there are 3 or 4 ships x 3000 pass (minimum)

could be really long lines at the security and bag check....

I have tsa precheck and try to do around 11 am flights..

not that you couldnt make the earlier... but if you miss it

a. the 3pm could be sold out

b. it could cost you a ridiculous amount of money to get on that flight

why gamble? Enjoy your vacation

Two weeks ago we had a 10:35 flight after disembarking Indy and we made it with plenty of time to spare.

However, we were the last Indy cruise out of the bigger terminal as she was taking the spot of a bigger ship that was overseas (brain freeze so I can't remember which ship). It's my understanding Indy's usual terminal can be slower.

If you take the earlier flight, my suggestion would be to be in line for self-disembarkation by 7:15 so you are among the first off.

The airport is only a 10 minute drive from the port.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Aren't international travelers supposed to be at the airport 2 hours before their flight? I wouldn't risk that earlier flight as an international traveler.

This is a domestic leg so it's not a concern, but yes, we usually err for caution on the international parts and try for three hours.

@Truth, I took your advice and went on a google hunt- and ouch, looks like there'll be three other ships (incl the Oasis) coming in that day with a portload of 13000+. Thanks! Wouldn't have thought to check that on my own. Def taking that into consideration.

With self-disembarkation, it's basically just wrangling my big bag off the ship on my own, right? Thanks for putting up with all the silly questions. I just don't get to see my mom very often so I want to maximise the time I have with her :)

However, we were the last Indy cruise out of the bigger terminal as she was taking the spot of a bigger ship that was overseas (brain freeze so I can't remember which ship). .

Allure

@Truth, I took your advice and went on a google hunt- and ouch, looks like there'll be three other ships (incl the Oasis) coming in that day with a portload of 13000+. Thanks! Wouldn't have thought to check that on my own. Def taking that into consideration.

With self-disembarkation, it's basically just wrangling my big bag off the ship on my own, right? Thanks for putting up with all the silly questions. I just

don't get to see my mom very often so I want to maximise the time I have with her :)

You got the passenger count right but the Oasis class ships sail out of Port Everglades on the weekend, Oasis on Sat. and Allure on Sun. It's the X Equinox, Royal Princess and Zuiderdam that are in port with Indy that Monday.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/fromfortlauderdaleflorida-30nov2015.html

Yes, self disembarkation can be done if you can handle all of your luggage yourself when getting off the ship. We did it a week ago Sunday at around 7:15am after our Freedom B2B cruises and it took about 10 minutes to get through CBP and out of the terminal at Port Canaveral. Previous Sunday we walked off to do a shore visit between our two cruises at around 8am when regular disembarkation had started and it took well over an hour to get out of the terminal. Also have done self disembarkation early previously at Port Everglades and it has been a breeze while the later regular disembarkation there has usually been a long drawn out procedure.