Cozumel Immigration

sueandkent

I recently spoke with friends who were on the Caribbean Princess in Aug. Western itinerary and they said they required additional photo identification to their passports to re-board in Cozumel. They had to also show a driver's license.

I thought a: a passport was all that was required and b: we didn't even need to take it with us when we left the ship.

Could someone please clarify this for us.

Thanks for the help

Sue

Wow... you sure they had their Cruise Cards with them? All I've ever needed to reboard the ship was my Cruise Card. I've never heard of the ship requiring additional identification except upon original embarkation. Sometimes in ports, the port authority checks your ID as you leave and enter the port area but I've never heard of a further requirement to board the ship itself.

You do not need to bring your passport with you but it's a good idea to have a copy "just in case."

They said they had to re-board through a duty-free type shop and the security guard asked everone for ID. She said it was the only way to get back on the ship. This seemed odd to me.
That's possible, but that would depend on where in the port the ship docked and it wouldn't have been something the ship required but rather the port authorities. I've been to Cozumel several times, most recently on the Caribbean Princess last December, and have never had to reboard through a duty-free shop but then I haven't been to all of the places where a ship could dock.

We very recently cruised both eastern and western Caribbean. In some ports where we previously needed only our ship cards, we were also advised to take photo ID as well and needed it both to get OFF as well as ON the ship. Not all ports required this. I don't remember about Coz, but I believe we did have to take photo ID. I keep photo copies of our passports in our luggage and place them in the room safe with passports. When we need photo ID to go ashore, I take the photo copies.

In order to get back on the ship in Cozumel you will need to walk through the Duty Free 'mall' - at the entrance to the area you are required to show your cruise card and ONE piece of photo ID to a Mexican security official. The Princess Patter will list a reminder on that port day, as well as the Cruise Directors am tv program will make mention of it. Once you make your way through the Duty Free mall and exit the area you will walk along the pier to the gangway of your ship. Upon boarding the ship you will show someone your card and when you get to the ship's security check-point, you will put your card in the card readed just prior to going through the metal detector.

Have a great day in Coz...

ps - if you want to smuggle any booze aboard from the Duty Free 'mall' be sure to just put it in your day bag or back pack - only the people with the 'Duty Free' shopping bags are sometimes referred to the ships security officer to have their goods 'held' until the last night.

Westcoast's description precisely matches what we found as recently as Labor Day weekend.

Not related to security--air conditioning in the DF mall was still out from hurricane earlier in the season--even more reason to avoid spending much time there...unless you want a sauna without visiting the spa!:)

Thanks Pam for the help.

They said they had to re-board through a duty-free type shop and the security guard asked everone for ID. She said it was the only way to get back on the ship. This seemed odd to me.

Sue

Yep. At Puerta Maya, they funnel all the returning traffic to the pier through the duty-free shop, and you do have to show both a cruise card and another photo ID to enter.

Archived