Can you split cruise?

untailored bostonian

Yes you absolutely can. I have done that twice, staying for a few days in the Lofoten islands and then continuing on.

However, do the math, as you will have to pay each segment separately (you cannot buy a round-trip cruise and cut it in short segments, money-wise). Full round-trips (or full one-way trip) cost usually a bit less as there is a cabin+ food package.

You can even split over several years! We did Bergen to Tromso on our first trip and enjoyed it so much we went back 30 months later and finished off the round trip. Why so long as 30 months? We had other trips booked and couldn't find the time!

One thought I had was a ship the returned to the same port on the southbound leg. My guess is your missing 2 days onboard might be a nonissue to Hurtigruten.

Even if we did not do this, I like to do a local ferry from Bergan to Flam to see the Sognefjord.

Edited by untailored bostonian

You can even split over several years! We did Bergen to Tromso on our first trip and enjoyed it so much we went back 30 months later and finished off the round trip. Why so long as 30 months? We had other trips booked and couldn't find the time!

I assume you flew in and out of Oslo. How did you manage this aspect of your cruise(s)?

One thought I had was a ship the returned to the same port on the southbound leg. My guess is your missing 2 days onboard might be a nonissue to Hurtigruten.

You could do that of course. I would still let the ship know that you will be away for two days, so that they don't worry (but they will leave without you anyway ;) but could be surprised when you show up again). And for that particular case, do the math again, as it may be actually less expensive to book both legs independantly.

Even if we did not do this, I like to do a local ferry from Bergan to Flam to see the Sognefjord.

You can do that with the Norway in a Nutshell itinerary, which you can do between Bergen and Olso (if you land in Oslo, then go to Bergen via Norway in a Nutshell : train Oslo/Myrdal, scenic train Myrdal-Flam, scenic ferry Flam-Gudvangen, bus Gudvangen-Voss, train Voss-Bergen).

http://www.norwaynutshell.com/en/explore-the-fjords/norway-in-a-nutshell/#about

If you exit the ship along the way, you can reach Oslo by public transport from anywhere in Norway (direct plane from the big cities, train from Trondheim or Bodo, combination of bus/ferry/plane for smaller cities).

To give you an idea, my next trip in March 2016 (hunting the Northern Lights ;) ) looks like this:

Fly into Oslo and then to Bodo.

Take Hurtigruten from Bodo to Tromso, exit in Tromso, stay there a bit.

Take Hurtigruten from Tromso to Svolvaer via Kirkenes, exit in Svolvaer, stay five nights.

Take Hurtigruten from Svolvaer to Trondheim, exit in Trondheim.

Take train from Trondheim to Oslo.

Fly home.

Edited by SarniaLo

I assume you flew in and out of Oslo. How did you manage this aspect of your cruise(s)?

Into Bergen, out of Tromso.

Into Tromso, out of Bergen.

The two trips were completely separate bookings and we booked flights and hotels ourselves.