Help with ship selection

old hippie professor

Each ship has its fans. I want on one of the newer ships (MS Trollfjord) and had a great trip. Nice cabins, and a real plus was the two deck view lounge, which you will not find on the older ships like the MS Lofoten or the Vesteralen. The route is the same for all except the new routing for the Spitsbergen. I wanted a ship where I would have a private bathroom even in the cheapest cabin, had the two deck viewing lounge, and was leaving Bergen on a day that coincided with the inexpensive (but infrequent) flights (Norwegian Air) I could get from/to the USA west coast. I flew in and out of Oslo, and took the train to Bergen and back (booked myself, not through Hurtigruten).

Botnen is inland and southeast of Bergen, but you should be able to arrange a visit to that area specifically from either Oslo or Bergen if you want to go there. My grandfather was born in Skien, but I opted not to visit that city (no known relatives to visit). I did learn a lot more about my Norwegian heritage though by visiting the Norwegian Cultural Museum in Oslo, so you might want to include that in your travel plans. http://www.norskfolkemuseum.no/en/

In March you will still have short days which limits what you can see from the ship, although you may still get Northern Lights. I went in May, which was great because once we were above the Arctic Circle we had 24/7 light, and even in Oslo it was light until 10PM or so. Also, the Trollfjord (the actual fjord) is usually not open for ships due to ice earlier than May. I was not able to visit Geiranger for the same reason (that port is only visited in the summer). Just something to take into account when picking your dates.

Edited by Splinter

Two years ago we were on the Finnmarken from Kirkenses to Bergen. (We drove from Sweden to Kirkenses). The cabins are small, and if you look at room pictures, you will see that the beds are against the side walls and the window at the end of the room. The viewing is great, but you want to see from both sides of the ship. I seem to remember the loading and unloading was from the port side (left side as you face forward). We spent almost no time in our cabin, other than sleeping. We loved the observation lounge. Our heads were constantly swiveling on words (look at that!!!). We booked our cabin about 6 months before our late May departure.

Thanks for the reply

I am going to book the sailing in March 2017. Interested in booking a cabin with a good view. How early should I book?

If you want a suite/balcony you have to book at least a year in advance. Otherwise 6-9 months sems adequate, 'tho some of the summer sailings sell out sooner. To check availability, pretend to book a cabin on the website to check availability. If you like to watch the action, port side is the on/off loading side. Any cabin is fine because you really won't be spending much time in yor cabin.

I am considering March 21st on MS Trollfjord. Will book port side and am not sure on Artic Superior or small suite. Do prices change often from the website or is early best?

The only change I ever saw was an increase in price when the ship was close to selling out. Usually the earlier you book on the Coastal Voyage, the lower he price. Enjoy the Trollfjord!- one of my favorite ships!

A friend and I went on the Polarlys in mid March 2013. She'd already booked, and I tagged along. Yes, the days are a bit short, but it was still daylight until 5:30 or 6 p.m. The snow covered hills and mountains were beautiful plus we were able to go dog sledding and to the snow hotel outside Kirkennes. It was bitterly cold and windy at North Cape, but it was also grand. And, yes, we saw the Northern Lights.

Thanks for the flybus link. I ordered the Hurtingruten book used from amason and it sold me on the trip. I located My wifes fathers birth registered in the Rodal churh as the 3rd entry in 1899. The church was built in 1250 and is still in operation today. To far out for award travel so will book after holidays. This will be for our 49th anniversary. We switch every other year for a warm anniversary trip. So our 50th can be a warm destination. 😊