What to do until 6pm in Miami

darbs7

I've never done this in Miami, but hopefully it will work there. In Fort Lauderdale I've rented a car for the day from a rental company that has shuttles at the pier. Used car for both transportation and to carry luggage around when hanging out around the city and then dropped it off at the airport.

I've never done this in Miami, but hopefully it will work there. In Fort Lauderdale I've rented a car for the day from a rental company that has shuttles at the pier. Used car for both transportation and to carry luggage around when hanging out around the city and then dropped it off at the airport.

We have done exactly that for our March 2016 cruise our flight back to UK is not until 22:00 from MIA we rented via Hertz Dodge Caravan cost us £48.33 that's around $72. Transfer to MIA is alone $12 x 4 $48 so for us good deal and solves problems.:)

Edited by snowyboy

Renting a car for the day (a technique we have also used) is generally less expensive then taking a ship's tour, and gives one total flexibility to do as they please for the day. One can usually get a one-day rental car for less than $40. A win-win since the car is a place to store your luggage and it gives you a mode of transportation.

Hank

I agree that a rental car would be less expensive. I was thinking more in terms of convenience. Miami is not the easiest city to navigate if you are not used to driving in the US ( wrong side of road etc) and we found returning the car to the airport was not the most pleasant experience. If however, the OP is happy with the driving situation then I agree, a rental car is the way to go.

Edited by sandancer

When we were in this situation we bought tickets for the hop on hop off bus. It was waiting right by the ship. You board with your luggage, and are taken to the "depot" where luggage is stored, and you pick up your tour right away.

At the end you return to depot, pick up your bags and then a shuttle takes you to the airport.

Very well organised and provided an appropriate lazy day, given that we were on an all night flight.

When we were in this situation we bought tickets for the hop on hop off bus. It was waiting right by the ship. You board with your luggage, and are taken to the "depot" where luggage is stored, and you pick up your tour right away.

At the end you return to depot, pick up your bags and then a shuttle takes you to the airport.

Very well organised and provided an appropriate lazy day, given that we were on an all night flight.

If you want to see Miami, this is what I'd do.

The ship may well offer a tour dropping off at the airport. Bags are loaded on the bus so you don't need to drag them around or store them. Never done this but would certainly entertain it if we were in that situation.

Just disembarked Equinox and there were 2 tours available. One was to the Everglades, duration 4hrs30mins and cost $56 and the other was to Las Olas Boulevard and called Fort Lauderdale 'On your own', duration 7hrs 30m, cost $85. Both tours dropped off at Fort Lauderdale and Miami airports.

A rental car is really the way to go, see more, do more and definitely cheaper!!!

Can you give me the name of the company you use? My friend and I have a late flight out of Miami. We don't want to sit in the airport all day.