long cruises and Prescription drugs

mrsfitz28

This thread is getting a bit silly and inaccurate. TSA has nothing to do with customs/immigration. TSA is simply the security arm at most US airports and their main concern is security. TSA has very little interest in pills, does not require them to be in prescription containers (but some States have their own laws about this issue), and allows you to carry drugs in both carryons and checked luggage. TSA does have an interest in liquids, so if you have liquid meds that exceed 3.4 ounces, and you want to carry it on, you need to tell TSA who might subject the liquids to additional screening. And we should add that TSA does not enforce any limitation on the amount of drugs you can carry.

Hank

P.S. If anyone doubts what I posted about TSA you can read their own blog at:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/09/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-traveling-with.html

PPS. A little known fact is that airports have an option whether to use TSA or hire their own private security company. The last time we looked there were 16 US Airports (including some major ones like SFO) that do not use TSA.

Edited by Hlitner

One of the main reasons I travel with my meds in their original containers is that if I need medical care while away, the doctor/pharmacist will have the exact med name and dosage, and the names of the doctor and pharmacy to contact. My 2 daily meds come in small pill containers, and I also use a once a week patch.

Roz

This thread is getting a bit silly and inaccurate. TSA has nothing to do with customs/immigration.

Nor did the OP ask about Customs and Immigration, but about how to insure they had a sufficient supply of medications for a long cruise.

Since the outbound trip (where you encounter only TSA) is the one with the large quantity of meds (they're mostly depleted by the time you return and encounter Customs), that's the angle most have been discussing.

I know exactly why DW was singled out. On two occasions I could see the agent mouthing numbers. When he hit 15 my spouse happened to be that person so she was selected. Purely random. Same with one another time. The agents were selecting every x person who crossed the line for a follow up.

Not a big deal..they are simply doing their job.

I know exactly why DW was singled out. On two occasions I could see the agent mouthing numbers. When he hit 15 my spouse happened to be that person so she was selected. Purely random. Same with one another time. The agents were selecting every x person who crossed the line for a follow up.

And that would be a pretty fair system. When you enter Mexico (via an airport) they actually have everyone just push a big button that randomly gives you either a Green or Red light. If you get Green, you walk through with no Customs check. Get the Red, and your luggage will be searched. A very fair system and nobody can whine about bias.

Hank

Yes, I'm sure it's a random numbers game.

I would have thought that Customs, not the TSA, was the focus of concerns with unlabeled drugs.

True, but evidently there are a number of people here who have rub into problems with TSA and meds or who have seen others with pill problems and TSA. See post #12 for example.

Edited by NMLady

Our favorite insurance broker has just published an article on traveling with meds called "Making traveling with medications easier" which lists a number of things you should do. Interestingly, it says:

"TSA does not require that medications have pharmacy-issued labels"

TSA has nothing to do with it.. We should be thinking about Customs..

Since reading the April 2015 Memo From Customs & Border Protection it might be incumbent upon us all to rethink how we carry our Meds.. It's great for those who only take one or two meds. per day, but there are many of us who take many more than one or two a day.. I have A.M. Meds & P.M. Meds..DH also has A.M. & P.M. Meds, in addition to all our vitamins, Aspirin, & Calcium etc. we take daily.. For many of our Meds we would have to request small prescription bottles from our pharmacy, as some are quite large when getting a 90 day prescription..

And that would be a pretty fair system. When you enter Mexico (via an airport) they actually have everyone just push a big button that randomly gives you either a Green or Red light. If you get Green, you walk through with no Customs check. Get the Red, and your luggage will be searched. A very fair system and nobody can whine about bias.

Hank

I once had a red light, when leaving on a flight from Mexico.. Can't remember if it was Acapulco or Cancun.. They went through my luggage with a fine tooth comb..

TSA has nothing to do with it.. We should be thinking about Customs..

Since reading the April 2015 Memo From Customs & Border Protection it might be incumbent upon us all to rethink how we carry our Meds.. It's great for those who only take one or two meds. per day, but there are many of us who take many more than one or two a day.. I have A.M. Meds & P.M. Meds..DH also has A.M. & P.M. Meds, in addition to all our vitamins, Aspirin, & Calcium etc. we take daily.. For many of our Meds we would have to request small prescription bottles from our pharmacy, as some are quite large when getting a 90 day prescription..

I once had a red light, when leaving on a flight from Mexico.. Can't remember if it was Acapulco or Cancun.. They went through my luggage with a fine tooth comb..

Once when I was travelling with my grandsons, the older one (16 at the time) was one of the random selections, and they even went through his hair! No idea what the heck they thought they would find in there:D. It wasn't long just a regular haircut. But the agents were really nice, said he got to be the lucky one - nothing went un-inspected. That was at LAX.

Once when I was travelling with my grandsons, the older one (16 at the time) was one of the random selections, and they even went through his hair! No idea what the heck they thought they would find in there:D. It wasn't long just a regular haircut. But the agents were really nice, said he got to be the lucky one - nothing went un-inspected. That was at LAX.

LOL...Maybe they were looking for Bugs!:):D