Thinking Reflection? If over 50, think carefully

PSCruiser

Reflection is the Miami party ship...,..we find others in the fleet are much. better and offer more choices...

So odd that they have a great upstairs club on all the ships, and some S class ships have or had Quasar where this loud vibe would be perfect.. Yet they insist on killing the whole atrium area for those who'd prefer less of the loud...

Reflection is the Miami party ship...,..we find others in the fleet are much. better and offer more choices...

So odd that they have a great upstairs club on all the ships, and some S class ships have or had Quasar where this loud vibe would be perfect.. Yet they insist on killing the whole atrium area for those who'd prefer less of the loud...

Exactly.

No disrespect, I enjoy a quiet cruise also but loud music at the Martini Bar is not going to ruin my cruise. Why get worked up in advance over a 'problem' that you may not experience? Even if the the music is so bad and so loud that you cannot stand it this is just one small venue on the ship.

We were warned by friends and posters that our first HAL cruise would be the voyage of the 'ancients' and that our very young age (59) would stand out and be terribly bored. It turned out to be one of the younger passenger complements we have cruised with and a delightful cruise (as they all have been).

While I am not generally a very 'flexible' individual, one of the beauties of cruising is that each cruise is different- passengers, weather, crews, ports they can all change from week to week so why try to start with a negative mind set over some minor 'possibilities'? JMHO

It was just confirmed here the CD is back on Reflection and so is the loud music.

Have you experienced it? This one small venue is an open area bar. When the DJ blasts the music it filters throughout every floor of the ship. It is insanity and obnoxious.

I was on Alexander's cruise 2 years ago. He was terrible. I am in my 40s and live in NYC and you know what, when I get on the ship for vacation, I want to relax...not party like I am in SoBe, Vegas or NYC. If I wanted that I would stay in NYC or fly to South Beach or Vegas!

What I thought was most rude was the DJ music at the Martini Bar after hours. It was so loud no one could speak and they played horrible Eurotrash music. If you want to play loud music go into a contained venue and not at the Martini Bar or the pool. Background music, great! Music that is so loud you can't speak...that is only good to drunk people who can't speak any longer so they just dance. Ridiculous and juvenile if you ask me X...unless you are looking for 20 somethings that drink and dance until they pass out. Is this the demographic X is looking for? Are they mirroring a Vegas or South Beach hotel as their new image? Bc last I checked that is not what most people on Celebrity are looking for.

I would love for the CEO to try to hold a conversation in the Martini Bar after 10pm on a cruisee where Alexander is CD. I bet the policy would change pretty damn quickly.

(QUOTE]

I agree, unfortunately nothing has changed, this pretty much mirrors our TA experience this month. DJ music in the Martini bar area was indescribably loud.

Music in the Sky lounge was played at an acceptable level, perhaps the proximity to the Reflection and other top suites influenced this [emoji42]

It was just confirmed here the CD is back on Reflection and so is the loud music.

Have you experienced it? This one small venue is an open area bar. When the DJ blasts the music it filters throughout every floor of the ship. It is insanity and obnoxious.

We have been on the Reflection twice (both Caribbean cruises). We typically went to the Molecular Bar every night (understand the venue name may have changed) and I honestly remember no loud music. If we find something objectionable we would 'move on' to a different area. The bar further astern (near Michael's club and Murano I believe) always seems laid back with jazz or acoustic music.

Not questioning your account of a high decibel onslaught and sure I would not be happy about it but it seems like a nuisance that I personally would not use in my overall cruise planning.

We've been on Reflection twice and will be leaving again in Jan. Late 50's.

I couldn't name one CD from any cruise I have been on and for us if there was no CD we would probably be happier. In my mind the X CD's seem less manic than those on NCL and Princess which is a good thing.

As OP, I would have agreed before this last cruise.

As I'm approaching the 40 cruise mark, probably have sailed with 30 different CDs, and liked, or were at least indifferent, to all of these. However, when policies and attitudes of the CD negatively affect my cruise experience, I assume others on this board will want to know, sorry, cruises are just too expensive to "go with the flow".

As OP, I would have agreed before this last cruise.

As I'm approaching the 40 cruise mark, probably have sailed with 30 different CDs, and liked, or were at least indifferent, to all of these. However, when policies and attitudes of the CD negatively affect my cruise experience, I assume others on this board will want to know, sorry, cruises are just too expensive to "go with the flow".

Did not mean to discount your concerns particularly with many cruises under your belt and your specific experience.

I know you posted also to share frustration and potentially warn other cruisers.

I was simply indicating we had enjoyed great cruises on the Reflection (we felt we received and will receive the very highest value for our cruise dollar) and personally was surprised that a CD and /or loud music could mar the cruise experience to such an extent. Obviously we all have different

'hot' buttons. Hope you find the perfect cruise and CD.

I am currently on the Reflection Top Chef cruise 7 day cruise. We just had dinner at the Lawn Club. We really enjoyed the dinner. Through most of the dinner, I could not tell you what music was playing, it was in the background. Suddenly as we finished our entree, all we heard was screaming. I have pretty broad taste in music but my feeling is the music should fit the venue. While I am not into screaming rock, I would expect it if I went clubbing. I don't expect to hear it while I am sitting at a dinner trying to have a conversation with my tablemates, especially when I am paying a hefty premium for the dinner.

Just as an aside, Celebrity is making an effort to create the suite experience; hopefully, their demographic has the $$$ to pay for it. We are in a suite on this cruise, and I have to say that I doubt most of the folks i see in Luminae go clubbing.

No disrespect, I enjoy a quiet cruise also but loud music at the Martini Bar is not going to ruin my cruise. Why get worked up in advance over a 'problem' that you may not experience? Even if the the music is so bad and so loud that you cannot stand it this is just one small venue on the ship.

And therein lies the issue with this music. It was NOT confined to "one small venue". By playing it in the Atrium, it could be heard clearly all over the ship. For example, it was booming even in the Library! Isn't the Library a place to go to read or sit in quiet? Not when the music was playing - which was generally every evening, all evening. Yes - play all types of music - in their own venues - NOT in a place where it carries thruout the entire ship.

As some others have said, the Vibe that permeated the ship was more of a NYC or South Beach nightclub, than of a classy, comfortable luxury cruise.

It is interesting reading this thread. We sailed reflection in August and one of the pleasant surprises was the quality of the music particularly in the ensemble lounge. Talented musicians playing a good mix although some did need to work on expanding their repertoire (perhaps that is the 20 day effect) - for a jazz/blues singer learning a few more van Morrison tunes is a no brainer. But overall, on any given night we could find something we liked.

I did however feel that the sky lounge got the demographic very wrong or perhaps the do was just bad. There are timeless classics which will get people from their 20's to their 80's dancing. What the OP experienced sounds like hell.

For other reasons I doubt we will cruise with celebrity again. Small cruises are more our thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talented musicians playing a good mix although some did need to work on expanding their repertoire (perhaps that is the 20 day effect) - for a jazz/blues singer learning a few more van Morrison tunes is a no brainer. But overall, on any given night we could find something we liked.

I apologise - I meant a ten day effect.

Wow. We were on the Reflection this past March, and I didn't notice anything. No surprise there, as my DW always tells me I'm out of it! But she notices everything and I don't recall her complaining, though she might have made a comment or two at the time.

Wow. We were on the Reflection this past March, and I didn't notice anything. No surprise there, as my DW always tells me I'm out of it! But she notices everything and I don't recall her complaining, though she might have made a comment or two at the time.

If you aren't by the pool in the afternoon or at the Martini bar after 10pm you might not have heard anything. These are the two places that tend to play the loudest and most awful music! Of course, they are my two favorite places when the awful/loud music is not playing.

If you aren't by the pool in the afternoon or at the Martini bar after 10pm you might not have heard anything. These are the two places that tend to play the loudest and most awful music! Of course, they are my two favorite places when the awful/loud music is not playing.

Really do not want to be argumentative here but first the sound is pervasive throughout the ship including the library but now you say that if you aren't by the pool or at the Martini Bar after 10 pm you wouldn't notice it?

I am sure there will be bad (to my ear) music played too loud (to my taste)

in some venues and maybe in the atrium which I understand can move through the ship, but still cannot see this fact ruining my cruise. Again we have had 2 great Reflection cruises without incident.

I also get that X may not be super passenger friendly but if the "music" is as overbearing and bad as you feel and 5% (150) passengers complained I have to believe there would be corrective action taken.

I have heard of people dropping a line because of bad food, high prices,

cleanliness issues, etc. but not because of bad and loud music which can and does change often on most ships.

I will be happy to report back in January.

Really do not want to be argumentative here but first the sound is pervasive throughout the ship including the library but now you say that if you aren't by the pool or at the Martini Bar after 10 pm you wouldn't notice it?

I am sure there will be bad (to my ear) music played too loud (to my taste)

in some venues and maybe in the atrium which I understand can move through the ship, but still cannot see this fact ruining my cruise. Again we have had 2 great Reflection cruises without incident.

I also get that X may not be super passenger friendly but if the "music" is as overbearing and bad as you feel and 5% (150) passengers complained I have to believe there would be corrective action taken.

I have heard of people dropping a line because of bad food, high prices,

cleanliness issues, etc. but not because of bad and loud music which can and does change often on most ships.

I will be happy to report back in January.

Correction..."IN OR around the Martini bar after 10pm."

Host Anne actually posted on this very thread that she will no longer cruise Celebrity exactly bc of the loud music, so it does happen.

I will be on in January too, so no need to report back just for me.

I am glad you have had good experiences with music in the past on X. I have not. Especially when Alexander is CD. Hence, my worry and negativity. I have been watching these boards closely in hopes he would not be on Reflection in January. Since he just started again, it sounds like he will be.

Thanks

We've done about 15 cruises, on various lines.

Before the cruise, we might wonder out loud what the food will be like, will we 'bond' with our waiters ? will our stateroom have noisy neighbours, things that would affect our enjoyment of the cruise on a day to day basis.

Have to say that wondering in advance who the CD will be or how he/she will perform has never even crossed our minds.

No matter how good or bad the CD is perceived to be, it will not impact on our enjoyment one bit.

Alexander has been a CD for several years now, and I doubt be would get as prestigious a gig on the Company flagship if he had not proved his capabilities over the years. If there were issues serious enough to consider he would not be there.

Being a CD must be a nightmare . Trying to please 3000 people all at once.

Which is just plain impossible. I couldnt do it and I doubt there is anyone on the planet who could.

I'm "working" from home this morning so I have a few moments to kill; thought I would weigh in to this topic.

My partner and I are what many of you may call "Celebrity's new target market." We are 28 and 33 and travel on Celebrity at least a couple times a year. We always book Aqua and now are moving onto suites when we can.

While we may be young we are far from the club / dance party scene. With the exception of a trip to NYC or Vegas I can't remember the last time we were in a club. We prefer nice bars and lounges and the atmosphere on the Celebrity ships has always appealed to us. We are Martini Bar regulars. You'll see us there on Day 1 as soon as it opens making friend's with the bartenders. We've experienced some loud music at the martini bar on various ships but only on certain nights. Sometimes it is annoying, but we've found the company we keep at the bar and the bartenders make up for loud music. If we want a quieter night we can move to Ensemble Lounge or Sunset Bar.

I'm not going to belittle anyone's view on the music. Your opinion is just that, your opinion and your vacation is YOUR vacation. It is your hard earned money and your time away. But here are my thoughts I'd like to leave:

Don't go into a cruise with a negative mindset. Don't go into a vacation expecting something to go wrong. No matter how perfect a ship, a hotel or a restaurant is, if you have a negative mindset you'll find something to upset you. What is the fun in that?

I get it, cruise prices are going up! We want things to be perfect, but everyone can't be pleased. The building I live in is connected to the Loews hotel here in Chicago. We are at the hotel bar several nights a week. On the same night people of the same demographic will say "Wow, the music here is really nice. I like this" while five minutes later I will hear "This music is too loud. Who listens to this?" Then when the music is more calm I will hear "This music is putting me to sleep. The lobby bar should be more lively." I'll simply smile, nod my head and continue on with my drink, perfectly happy either way.

Whenever I am on a cruise I consider myself incredibly lucky. I've had friends pass away suddenly in their early 20s, that could've been me. I could be terrible at my job and not have the income to be on such a nice cruise. Or I could have fallen victim to one of the tragic events happening around the world today. Instead, I find myself on a ship surrounded by wonderful staff, great food and good company. I refuse to let the song choices of a DJ or volume level of a speaker dictate my happiness.

Now, if I am treated poorly or if something goes wrong, I will not allow myself to be stepped on and I will take care of matters. But, I can't expect the music to be changed only for myself. This is a matter I figure out of my control. If it is out of my control then there is no point of me letting it dictate my mood.

As I said, I'm not trying to belittle anyone's feelings toward the music. If you hate the loud music that you feel is the new norm on Celebrity, then look at a different cruise line. I know if I start to see a deterioration in cleanliness on the ship or a sharp decline in food quality or overall service I would definitely be shopping around for a different cruise line to call home. However, if you are already on a cruise (or about to go on one), why not just make the best of it? Doesn't mean you have to like the music, but don't lead it ruin your cruise and please don't go into a cruise or any situation with a negative mindset. No one wins when that happens.

Just my 2cents.

We are on the Reflection Nov. 28th and Dec 5th sailing. I am going to live blog from the ship and I'll be sure to take a quick video, so you can hear the music, every night at the martini bar (I'll keep it very short). There is also an app that allows you to measure decibels. I'll have some fun and will measure the music and what I believe to be the loudest point every night at the Martini Bar or in the atrium. I'll report back. Lets see what the results are.

Happy Sailing!

We've done about 15 cruises, on various lines.

Before the cruise, we might wonder out loud what the food will be like, will we 'bond' with our waiters ? will our stateroom have noisy neighbours, things that would affect our enjoyment of the cruise on a day to day basis.

Have to say that wondering in advance who the CD will be or how he/she will perform has never even crossed our minds.

No matter how good or bad the CD is perceived to be, it will not impact on our enjoyment one bit.

Alexander has been a CD for several years now, and I doubt be would get as prestigious a gig on the Company flagship if he had not proved his capabilities over the years. If there were issues serious enough to consider he would not be there.

Being a CD must be a nightmare . Trying to please 3000 people all at once.

Which is just plain impossible. I couldnt do it and I doubt there is anyone on the planet who could.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this subject. There is not much I "worry" about on a Reflection cruise (maybe hoping for good weather).Thanks for your input.

"Don't go into a cruise with a negative mindset. Don't go into a vacation expecting something to go wrong. No matter how perfect a ship, a hotel or a restaurant is, if you have a negative mindset you'll find something to upset you. What is the fun in that? "

Chicagopaul, you are absolutely right..."positive mental attitude" is the name of the game. When I began cruising, we didn't have access to these boards so you didn't know what to expect. Next year's Solstice will be cruise #17 for me (a newbie by most standards) and I can honestly say that I have never had a bad cruise experience. I'm lucky to be at sea with good friends, new & old...enjoying every moment. So yes, if the music is a bit loud, I'll get up and move to a quieter spot.

Happy Cruising!

Susan

I'm "working" from home this morning so I have a few moments to kill; thought I would weigh in to this topic.

My partner and I are what many of you may call "Celebrity's new target market." We are 28 and 33 and travel on Celebrity at least a couple times a year. We always book Aqua and now are moving onto suites when we can.

While we may be young we are far from the club / dance party scene. With the exception of a trip to NYC or Vegas I can't remember the last time we were in a club. We prefer nice bars and lounges and the atmosphere on the Celebrity ships has always appealed to us. We are Martini Bar regulars. You'll see us there on Day 1 as soon as it opens making friend's with the bartenders. We've experienced some loud music at the martini bar on various ships but only on certain nights. Sometimes it is annoying, but we've found the company we keep at the bar and the bartenders make up for loud music. If we want a quieter night we can move to Ensemble Lounge or Sunset Bar.

I'm not going to belittle anyone's view on the music. Your opinion is just that, your opinion and your vacation is YOUR vacation. It is your hard earned money and your time away. But here are my thoughts I'd like to leave:

Don't go into a cruise with a negative mindset. Don't go into a vacation expecting something to go wrong. No matter how perfect a ship, a hotel or a restaurant is, if you have a negative mindset you'll find something to upset you. What is the fun in that?

I get it, cruise prices are going up! We want things to be perfect, but everyone can't be pleased. The building I live in is connected to the Loews hotel here in Chicago. We are at the hotel bar several nights a week. On the same night people of the same demographic will say "Wow, the music here is really nice. I like this" while five minutes later I will hear "This music is too loud. Who listens to this?" Then when the music is more calm I will hear "This music is putting me to sleep. The lobby bar should be more lively." I'll simply smile, nod my head and continue on with my drink, perfectly happy either way.

Whenever I am on a cruise I consider myself incredibly lucky. I've had friends pass away suddenly in their early 20s, that could've been me. I could be terrible at my job and not have the income to be on such a nice cruise. Or I could have fallen victim to one of the tragic events happening around the world today. Instead, I find myself on a ship surrounded by wonderful staff, great food and good company. I refuse to let the song choices of a DJ or volume level of a speaker dictate my happiness.

Now, if I am treated poorly or if something goes wrong, I will not allow myself to be stepped on and I will take care of matters. But, I can't expect the music to be changed only for myself. This is a matter I figure out of my control. If it is out of my control then there is no point of me letting it dictate my mood.

As I said, I'm not trying to belittle anyone's feelings toward the music. If you hate the loud music that you feel is the new norm on Celebrity, then look at a different cruise line. I know if I start to see a deterioration in cleanliness on the ship or a sharp decline in food quality or overall service I would definitely be shopping around for a different cruise line to call home. However, if you are already on a cruise (or about to go on one), why not just make the best of it? Doesn't mean you have to like the music, but don't lead it ruin your cruise and please don't go into a cruise or any situation with a negative mindset. No one wins when that happens.

Just my 2cents.

We are on the Reflection Nov. 28th and Dec 5th sailing. I am going to live blog from the ship and I'll be sure to take a quick video, so you can hear the music, every night at the martini bar (I'll keep it very short). There is also an app that allows you to measure decibels. I'll have some fun and will measure the music and what I believe to be the loudest point every night at the Martini Bar or in the atrium. I'll report back. Lets see what the results are.

Happy Sailing!

Paul, thank you! We sail in January and I can say that even a 50-something couple share your views.

I have noted that some of those with very negative opinions (not all) have posted a number of incredibly negative comments on other X threads. While not an experienced cruiser, this will only be our second with Celebrity, I wonder why those same folks continue to cruise and comment?

It is hard to be worried about the CD and loud

music when you are escaping a 20 below

wind chill.

Amen to that!

Never even care who the CD or Captain is myself. I know I will have a great time. Go with the flow and don't sweat the little stuff.

Dennis