Best Way to Get Around Seattle - Maple Leaf

momof1son

We have our reservations for where we are staying, in the Maple Leaf area. We are interested in doing the usual "touristy" stuff. What's the best way to get around if we don't want to rent a car? Is it worth it to call an Uber, or will we be fairly close to a bus line? Trying to plan. :D

We have our reservations for where we are staying, in the Maple Leaf area. We are interested in doing the usual "touristy" stuff. What's the best way to get around if we don't want to rent a car? Is it worth it to call an Uber, or will we be fairly close to a bus line? Trying to plan. :D

Where in Maple Leaf? It's a large-ish area, but pretty well served by buses. Use the trip planner - http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/

Depending on how long you're here, a car for a couple of days might be useful if you want to visit some out-of-town places like the Boeing Factory, Whidbey Island, Snoqualmie Falls...

We're staying at The Plaza Suites.

Thank you for the link! I will check it out and see what I can figure out.

We will fly in on Friday evening, and cruise out on Tuesday morning, so we have several days for sight-seeing. It's hard to rent a vehicle for a group of 7, though.

We're staying at The Plaza Suites.

Thank you for the link! I will check it out and see what I can figure out.

We will fly in on Friday evening, and cruise out on Tuesday morning, so we have several days for sight-seeing. It's hard to rent a vehicle for a group of 7, though.

Well, the not-so-good news is that from what I can tell, the "Plaza Suites" is actually an apartment building called "Maple Leaf Plaza" and calling the neighborhood "Maple Leaf" is really stretching the point. It's on Lake City Way, a very busy arterial and really not walkable from much of anything, especially grocery stores and restaurants. It's fine, however, if you want to buy a used car or some new tires, or visit the strip club across the street. The No. 72 bus line stops close by, but will involve one or more transfers to get downtown.

My two recommendations would be (a) find another place to stay, and (b) if you're locked into it, rent a couple of cars. You'll need them to get pretty much anywhere, and you'll feel safer in the process.

the location can work especially if you can get to the Northgate Transit center as the express bus #41 leaves there every 10-15 minutes. That route goes right on the freeway and makes no stop until in the downtown Bus Tunnel. There are some express buses that run on Lk City Way. Its not the most convenient location for sightseeing but it is doable.

the location can work especially if you can get to the Northgate Transit center as the express bus #41 leaves there every 10-15 minutes. That route goes right on the freeway and makes no stop until in the downtown Bus Tunnel. There are some express buses that run on Lk City Way. Its not the most convenient location for sightseeing but it is doable.

So you're suggesting a steep uphill walk on streets without sidewalks then another mile+ hike to Northgate? Sorry, I have to disagree.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites Downtown in May and it was in walking distance to the needle where we could get transportation to all areas of Seattle. We had a 2 bed 2 bath suite plus sofa bed in living room. Ideal for a large group. There is large grocery store within a block. Would definitely recommend.

what makes you think I'm suggesting they walk? Following the link provided I'd assume there are either a direct route into downtown or perhaps a route which allows them to transfer at the transit center. Its not the best but its not an impossible area to get to downtown from.

I've lived in the Seattle area for 30yrs, and never heard of Maple Leaf area. Learn something new every day.

Glad I'm not the only person who had never heard of Seattle having a "Maple Leaf" area. We've never lived in Seattle, but Alaskans consider Seattle to be "ours."

It's been there all along, right there between Northgate and Ravenna. There are probably lots of Seattle neighborhoods people who don't live close by haven't heard of. Hillman City? Pinehurst?

Edited by Gardyloo

The No. 72 bus line stops close by, but will involve one or more transfers to get downtown.

Actually, route 72 does go all the way to downtown. However, the 72 is scheduled to be deleted in as part of a major restructure when the UW Link light rail station opens in March. (I assume that the OP will traveling some time after that.)

Once the restructure happens, the way to get downtown would be to take the 372 (which will then have increased frequency) to UW Station and then transfer to Link to get downtown.

Actually, route 72 does go all the way to downtown. However, the 72 is scheduled to be deleted in as part of a major restructure when the UW Link light rail station opens in March. (I assume that the OP will traveling some time after that.)

Once the restructure happens, the way to get downtown would be to take the 372 (which will then have increased frequency) to UW Station and then transfer to Link to get downtown.

You're right, the 72 does go downtown for the time being. However the OP is staying at 90th and LCW, and I think the 72 doesn't join LCW until the Ravenna Avenue merge, and IIRC the nearest stop is closer to 95th, quite a distance north and downhill from the OP's apartment. The only places to cross LCW without being massacred are at 95th or up at 20th Ave. NE, and no sidewalks on the west side of LCW for much/part of the way in each direction. Altogether I think it's a pretty inconvenient place to stay if one is trying to visit the city. I go past the apartments all the time as I live not too far away.

I just realized that the "Maple Leaf Plaza" is where our god-daughter stayed for a year while she was in medical school at the UW some years ago. She moved out as soon as she could.

You're right, the 72 does go downtown for the time being. However the OP is staying at 90th and LCW, and I think the 72 doesn't join LCW until the Ravenna Avenue merge, and IIRC the nearest stop is closer to 95th, quite a distance north and downhill from the OP's apartment. The only places to cross LCW without being massacred are at 95th or up at 20th Ave. NE, and no sidewalks on the west side of LCW for much/part of the way in each direction.

There is a 72/372 stop at Ravenna & NE 92nd, but you are right about crossing Lake City Way. To get to the bus stop from the apartment, one would need to use one of the "unmarked" crosswalks at 90th or 91st to cross LCW. Could be a bit dicey depending on traffic at the time.