Is it OK to use walkie talkies?

CruiseMAMA2

Becky,

What you fail to see is that both of your posts engage in name-calling and rudeness, even as you criticise others for the same. It may be that your own behavior has fanned this persecution that you're feeling, either for yourself or on other's behafs.

By the way, these days I think American Indian is the preferred term. We tend to presume that "indians" are from India. Sorry, I know you don't respond well to criticism, but I have native American and First Nation (which is what they are called in Canada) friends who would object strenuously to be called Indians.

You've proved my point about the speed at which people judge. I've never felt looked down on but am so disappointed with the self-righteous, superior attitudes of many on these boards and witnessed aboard towards others, not me. I am taking up for the often misunderstood "underdog". Remember the Indian proverb about not judging someone until you've walked a day in their shoes. I will agree there are clods, but there are much more normal people who are unfairly judged and abused by too many who perhaps should remove the plank from their eye before they worry about someone else's splinter. Isn't tolerance the P.C. way to be?

I am the sweetest, kindest person you will ever meet. I am constantly giving others the benefit of the doubt and choosing my words carefully. I have been told numerous times that I'm too nice and I should get angry once in a while, but I don't. I'm extremely trusting and have been burned over and over because of it.

All that said, Becky, you need to get down off your damn high horse.

I am the sweetest, kindest person you will ever meet. I am constantly giving others the benefit of the doubt and choosing my words carefully. I have been told numerous times that I'm too nice and I should get angry once in a while, but I don't. I'm extremely trusting and have been burned over and over because of it.

All that said, Becky, you need to get down off your damn high horse.

ROTFLMAO.gif

etoile, thanks, I nearly spat my Corn Flakes reading that classic this morning. On the money and very funny!

Phil

The radios are licensed by the FCC for use in the US on US spectrum. That means they are not legal in the territorial limits of any foreign government unless that government has approved them. The only other governments that allows them are Canada, and Mexico allows use of some channels.

Righteo...

Have you seen any prosecutions of their use in foreign countries?

I didn't think so.:D

jc

Righteo...

Have you seen any prosecutions of their use in foreign countries?

I didn't think so.:D

jc

So you think it is okay to both break another countries law as long as you think the odds of getting proscecuted are small?

You don't care if your radio transmission might interfere with a public safety service?

And do you really want to risk being put in jail in a foreign territory?

So you think it is okay to both break another countries law as long as you think the odds of getting proscecuted are small?

You don't care if your radio transmission might interfere with a public safety service?

And do you really want to risk being put in jail in a foreign territory?

What does this have to do with using them on the ship? What if my use is in Key West? :p Lord help you if you use your cell phone (you do know it is a radio too?). :D

In debate it is called a straw man arguement and still you haven't scored any points.:D

For Flagger, I found a fun statistic that is about 18 months old.

"With more than 12.2 million FRS/GMRS units being sold annually, only about 39,000 buyers have ponied up (the $75 license fee)."

jc

What does this have to do with using them on the ship? What if my use is in Key West? :p Lord help you if you use your cell phone (you do know it is a radio too?). :D

In debate it is called a straw man arguement and still you haven't scored any points.:D

For Flagger, I found a fun statistic that is about 18 months old.

"With more than 12.2 million FRS/GMRS units being sold annually, only about 39,000 buyers have ponied up (the $75 license fee)."

jc

If you operate a radio that has been approved exclusively under the rules that apply to FRS, you are not required to have a license. FRS radios have a maximum power of ½ watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and integral (non-detachable) antennas. If you operate a radio under the rules that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have detachable antennas. The current fee for a new GMRS license is $80.

jc

You posted about using them in ports. I posted for information about their non legality in foreign ports. You replied asking if anyone has been prosecuted. Now you talk about cell phones. Talk about straw men... Thanks for playing but you lost.

I'm sure your motorola's will be right at home on Carnival! Bon Voyage.:rolleyes:

But before then, I am taking two cruises:

One on the Summit to Hawaii in March, and EVEN CLOSER, IN About a week I will be going from Rome to Galveston on the Galaxy!!

I'm so excited. The walkie taklies will be coming.

You could also work up a system where you simply phone back to your room and leave messages if your plans change or if you're no meeting up at your pre-determined spot.

This suggestion would work a lot better for us if the voicemail on the ships was blind-accessible. We've found the phones to be worse than useless when cruising as a couple; we usually toss it in the closet for the duration.

As for inane, obnoxious conversations, we've found that we can hear those just by listening to the folks around us. They don't even need to be on cell phones or radios. So should we make everyone spend their cruises in silence to avoid offending someone who happens to be sitting nearby? It's not existence of the technology that's the problem; it's the people using it--on both sides.

Archived