What an Adventure!! 7th Nov

Just returned from our 3rd Royal Cruise on Adventure of The Seas. Not a day by day guide of everything and anything but a quick snapshot of what we did and how it was....,

We flew in to SJU via JFK with American.

Flights were busy but good and comfortable and both on time. We didn't land til 1am but preferred this option over landing later on the Saturday morning 'just in case'.

We jumped in a cab $20 to our hotel Hyatt House. Was a quick drive and we got checked in straight away.

By this time it was 2am so we literally went to bed.

We were up early Saturday morning and went out front at the hotel. Right across the street there she was the Adventure at the dock waiting for us!

The hotel had breakfast included in our rate which was good, some fruits cereals a toaster with bagels muffins and a cooked to order omelette bar.

Although we weren't at the hotel long it was nice, rooms were good and the location was great for cruising is definitely stay there again.

We checked out of the hotel at 10.30 they called us a cab and we were on our way.

Cab in to the port was $10, even though it's real close you can't walk as there is no footpath and the traffic is busy!

Check in

We checked our bags at the bag drop and then joined the line. It was 11am and they had just opened the doors to the check in terminal so the line was quite long but moving.

We then noticed the separate line for Suite and Pinnacle, since we were booked in a suite we switched across to there and walked straight in.

Inside the terminal the suite queue for check in had only 1 other party waiting ahead of us the lines for all other levels of member or not were already long.

Once checked in we waited in the seating area for boarding to start.

Just before 12 we were walking on board.

Before they opened the shutter a lady came across to explain how each section would be called to board...Suites and pinnacle then assistance then etc etc this was pointless as soon as the shutter started going up it was literally a free for all with people coming from every direction.

We have sailed Oasis and Anthem before so was unsure what to expect for an older less feature packed ship. We booked last minute based on price, price of air fare and dates.

I needn't have worried Adventure is really beautiful!

1st Day Onboard

We didn't set sail til 8pm so we spent the day docked. It was overcast and rainy on and off but there was lots going on around the ship.

Muster was at 5.15.

We were booked in a Grand Suite Deck 10.

Rooms were ready at 2pm. We went to check it out. What a great space and bathroom is all I can say. Wow.

Dinner times and show times were adjusted slightly later the first night to allow for the late muster and sail away for this itinerary.

St Croix USVI

We took the cycling tour. It was a 3 hour tour, not really very strenuous lots of stops. Lovely to see all around the island and the guys leading the tour gave us some history. It was just a short walk from the pier to the bike shop to collect helmets bikes waters and we did a loop so the same walk back at the end.

St Kitts

We took the scenic railway. An open top railway car ride all around the island for about and hour and a half followed by around half hour at the other end in a minivan on the way back.

Drive to the railway from the pier in a minivan was around 20 mins. Minivans had air con and train ride included all the drinks you wanted.

St Martin

We walked off the ship and jumped in a can to Sunset Bar Maho Beach. $8 per person 1 way. We got dropped off right outside the bar.

I had been reading reports about the beach at Maho and no sand. Well there is definitely sand there now.. The beach isn't massive but plenty big enough to lay out your towel or enjoy the water. We got drinks at Sunset and watched the planes for a good few hours. The jumbo KLM was great fun watching the landing, the jet blast from the take off was even more crazy!

Dominica

We were booked on the River Tubing Tour. We jumped in a minivan and headed off. The drive was an hour through winding roads to get there. Once there we got fitted up with a helmet and a ring and then got in the river and off we went. It was so much fun. A few bumps on the way down but laughed a lot!

The float down took around an hour then back in the minivan for the drive back. The drive is a pain as its long and bumpy on parts but was definitely worth it for the fun we had on the river.

There is storm damage around the island which you can see especially higher up in to the rainforest where some roads have slipped but everything is already under repair and there was nothing visible to suggest they weren't fully ready to accommodate tourists.

Barbados

We walked through the pier and out towards Bridgetown, keep going following the sea line and eventually you come to the beach. We headed to the Boatyard. About a 20 min walk. $15 pp for lounger with umbrella, a welcome drink, wifi, and use of the sea trampoline, iceberg, rope swing and dive platform, then a shuttle back to the port. These run from 11am every 10 mins or so.

Was a really fun day.

Last day was a sea day. Soooo much going on - all the usuals around the pool plus loads inside too.

Food

We ate in my time dining. Deck 5. Our wait staff were great and food was good every night.

Day 5 we went to the Mystery Dinner Theatre in Giovannis. It was $65pp set menu wine included.

Really good fun, I got it right!!!

Drinks

We had the premium package. Nothing ever ran out there were drinks waiters every where at the pools all day and at all bars and shows, couldn't have asked for better service.

Stateroom

Grand suite deck 10.

Sure not super modern but Very clean and tidy lovely balcony and a great bathroom! Lots and lots of storage.

Disembark

We left in the second suites group at 9am. The concierge walked us off our bags were there and we jumped straight in to the customs priority line within 10 mins we were in a cab on the way to the airport.

Point to note only US citizens are able to use self disembark in San Juan.

Overall we had an amazing time I wouldn't hesitate to sail this ship and this itinerary again

Any questions just ask!!

It was listed in our cruise planner but we only booked 4 weeks out so it always showed as not available to book online. I ended up asking the concierge to reserve for us when she emailed the week of the cruise. But actually they looked like they were taking reservations outside windjammer on boarding day.

You sit in big long tables it was full when we went they only run it once in the week. I'd recommend it for sure!

It was listed in our cruise planner but we only booked 4 weeks out so it always showed as not available to book online. I ended up asking the concierge to reserve for us when she emailed the week of the cruise. But actually they looked like they were taking reservations outside windjammer on boarding day.

You sit in big long tables it was full when we went they only run it once in the week. I'd recommend it for sure!

How was long was the show? What did the menu consist of?

Thanks

For Dominica st Kitts and st Croix they were RCL excursions booked through the cruise planner before we left

thank you -- and in Dominica - i know you booked thru the cruiseline -- but do you happen to know what local company provided the river tubing? was it either Wacky Rollers or AnTours?

thank you

We are sailing in January with this itinerary. Can you tell me the daily dress code and theme nights?

Getting excited to sail!

Thanks for all the info on your shore excursions. We are waffling on what we want to do.

Dress info:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

thank you -- and in Dominica - i know you booked thru the cruiseline -- but do you happen to know what local company provided the river tubing? was it either Wacky Rollers or AnTours?

thank you

I'm sorry I don't recall. There was no branding that I saw our drop off point had a small washroom and equipment shack. Our end point had a couple of vendors with drinks and sandwiches but again no company branding which I can remember

Were the tours thru the cruise planner very crowded?

Not really. Our cycling tour in st Croix was apparently full. I think there were 36 of us but since we walked to the bike shop straight from the pier it was very relaxed. We had 1 guide at the front and 1 at the back so everyone could go at their own pace and no one got left behind.

The st Kitts rail tour was not overly busy we were comfortable in both the mini van and on the train.

The river tubing again similar plenty of space on the minivan and since you float down the river at your own pace with helpers/guides positioned all the way down I don't think it would matter whether your group was big or small

We are sailing in January with this itinerary. Can you tell me the daily dress code and theme nights?

Getting excited to sail!

Thanks for all the info on your shore excursions. We are waffling on what we want to do.

There was no smart casual nights. The compass each day told you the dress code for that night which was either casual or formal.

There was a 70s themed night and also a glow party night which marked the dress code as casual/wear something white.

Have a great time!! The ports are beautiful

Thanks for mentioning the Mystery Dinner. This is one of the extra I plan on doing my next cruise

It was great. Only thing I'd say is we arrived a little late as we went to trivia first, we were second to last in the queue. You are assigned a table number, around 20 per long table. We ended up right at the end of our table closest to the door. All of the action mainly goes on in the centre of the room so it was a little difficult to hear everything. My advice get there on time to get the best spot!

I'm sorry I don't recall. There was no branding that I saw our drop off point had a small washroom and equipment shack. Our end point had a couple of vendors with drinks and sandwiches but again no company branding which I can remember

no problem and thank you for taking the time to respond. Glad to hear the tubing was fun, we are thinking about doing that

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry I didn't keep them. If you want to know about any specific things or timings ask away and I'll try to help

We're doing a b2b. The sea day is the same day both weeks, just different ports. I was able to find compasses for one week, but not the Grenada itinerary you did. I was just wondering how similar the show schedules were from week to week and if I missed something one week could count on it being the same day and time the next week.

We're doing a b2b. The sea day is the same day both weeks, just different ports. I was able to find compasses for one week, but not the Grenada itinerary you did. I was just wondering how similar the show schedules were from week to week and if I missed something one week could count on it being the same day and time the next week.

Ah ok I'm no help then I'm afraid. Very jealous have a great time!