corkage fees

blueshine

Do not take your wine bottle in MDR. They will charge corking fee, however you can buy bottles of wine and they do not charge you the fee

We've always taken our bottles to the dining room and never been charged. We pull the cork in room and put in bottle to go to DR. One thing though, I always buy wines for trip that you could order through Bon voyage, normally the ones that would be very expensive if bought on the ship. Last year Meomi Pinot was over $80 on ship (I think it's down now) and in the dr I noticed our head waiter mention to the waiter about the brand.

Well we tried that on our cruise we just got back from and they charged us the 15 dollars... After that we just poured it in the glasses in our rooms

Also were you assigned dining with same waitstaff or your time? I can see where a regular waiter might hesitate because might affect extra tip.

I'm curious. Was the wine a brand you could have gotten from Bon voyage? And did you uncork 1st?

Edited by wantocruisemore

Is the MDR corking fee waived when you purchase the wine package? I've either received complimentary wine bottles or purchased per glass so I'm wondering if they charge for wine you buy on board and bring to MDR.

They do not charge corkage fee if you buy wine package. They're also not supposed to charge corkage if buy through Bon voyage.

Maybe the "trick" to not getting charged is only bring wine onboard that you could buy once on board.

Edited by wantocruisemore

Uncorking it first has nothing to do with it.

Google "corkage fee" folks. It isn't for the physical act of opening the bottle. It's for the privilege of bringing your own wine to the table.

So, yes, bottles that can be purchased (or actually are) are typically not subject to the corkage fee.

I just buy the wine package (and carry on my one bottle for the cabin). So simple and it's nice to have both a bottle of red and white ready and waiting, depending on what I want to drink. Works when you have YTD, too.