Amtrak vs. flying

We were planning on leaving 2 days before because it's a 24 hour train. I wasn't sure if it was worth it or not or if we should spend the extra $ and fly

I would go for it. I love traveling by train. If you get a sleeping compartment your meals are included.

I've used the train a couple times for vacations, and it's a great choice.

The reports of lengthy delays are over-stated, as are any number of things on this site. We only once experienced a problem with the train: There'd been a wreck (car wreck) on the tracks, and we couldn't pass ... they brought in Greyhound buses to meet us, took us off the train, drove us around the problem, put us back on another train ... and we were 45 minutes late to our destination. Yes, it was inconvenient being herded on/off the bus, but I thought they handled a crisis pretty well.

When you're heading for a cruise, of course you should never cut your time too close, but two-day delays are not the norm.

Things you ought to know about the train:

- The earlier you book, the cheaper your ticket.

- AAA card will get you a discount.

- Kids tickets (is it 16 and under, or under 16?) are 50% off pretty much every time, so if you're traveling with kids, the train is really a budget choice.

- The food in the cafe car is expensive and bad. Think frozen chicken sandwich or individual frozen pizza for around $8. However, you can bring your own food and buy cold drinks as needed. They sell alcohol in the cafe car. Each car contains a water-bottle spigot.

- The food in the dining car is good; if you get a sleeper, this is where you'll eat.

- A train seat is larger and more comfortable than an airline seat, and you have two electrical outlets next to you (and a tray table).

- You'll have space above your seat for a small suitcase or backpack. Larger bags can be placed at the front of the car on racks; if I were using these, I'd bring a bicycle chain/lock type thing. If you are in a sleeper car, you can check your luggage and just bring in a tote bag or backpack.

- The bathrooms on trains are superlatively disgusting. Bring Clorox wipes, or watch for them to "open" a new car as you approach a new stop -- those new, unused bathrooms will still be pristine.

- Going North is easier than going South. What I mean by this: If you're going North, you're probably going to board in the morning and reach your destination later that day -- it feels normal. If you're going from somewhere on the Eastern seaboard to Florida, you'll probably have to board at night and will arrive early in the morning. You'll miss the scenery, and if you're in regular seats you'll arrive on less than a good night's sleep. Of course, this may vary depending upon your specific itinerary.

- Once you reach your destination, ground transportation to/from the port isn't so readily available as it is at an airport. You should arrange ahead of time, or at least have a taxi's phone number at the ready.

If you're considering the train for a cruise, you could do a "trial run". Book a ride from your city to the next city and back; it'll be cheap, and you'll get a feel for what it's like before you commit to a "real trip" for your vacation. In our area, we have the Santa train at this time of year. You can take your kids on a little ride with Santa; they get cookies and hot chocolate, and they're back at home 1-2 hours later.

Edited by MrsPete

We've taken Amtrak to Florida a number of times. While it's nice to have own enclosed toilet, the upper bunk is miserably small, the price is higher than flying and delays have to be contemplated. The scenery on the east coast line is nothing spectacular like in the west. If we were to do it again, we would go coach: the fare is reasonable, the seats are far better than anything on a bus - with leg rests and serious reclining which makes sleeping easier than in a compartment's upper berth.

Or, drive from Philly to Lorton, VA and put car on auto train. That train has no stops between Lorton and Sanford, FL. You would still have 2-3 hour drive to Fort Lauderdale after train, but would be nice trip.

But you would have paid to transport your car on the train as well as yourself - primarily so you could then pay to park it while cruising.