Traveling with my daughters Friend.

@homeinok

I have 2 questions the girls are 14. I know i need a consent of some kind for her at check in and medical but not sure of what please help. Second how do her parents put money on her sail and sign that just she can use? Thanks and yes I know we are crazy!!

I took our daughters friend with us when she was about that age. We had the signed and notarized parental consent form from Carnival and there was no problem at all. Check in was no more complicated than normal.

I cannot speak to adding funds to the account. She brought her own money.

Her parents can give her cash to put onto her sail and sign card OR they can give you a credit card to use for her.

It is up to them what they wish to do. Have they pre paid her tips already?? If not that will also be something she'd be charged for. You'll have to discuss with them how they'd like to handle the situation.

The sail in sign is something I really need to know! We have the cash part covered but know she needs to have some freedom with on boat purchases and excursions.

I think you are going to need to open her sail and sign and put her cash or your credit card against it. I don't believe Carnival will hold a minor responsible.

The sail in sign is something I really need to know! We have the cash part covered but know she needs to have some freedom with on boat purchases and excursions.

Just have her bring cash to put on the card. The cash can be her hard earned money or from her parents.

When you do the online check-in, you can chose who goes on your credit card and what the others will be using. You should be able to give her parents the booking number and they can create an account just for her. They can do her online check-in and set up her onboard spending account. I believe she will also need that card with her when she checks in. She can give it back to you for safekeeping. If they trust you to take their child on a cruise, they should trust you with their card for a week!

Edited by WendyVF

You could always give him a preloaded Carnival Gift Card to put on his Sail and Sign Card.

This is a good idea, otherwise have them bring cash. We took friends kids and just put a limit on their cards. It was still tied to our credit card so they just gave us the cash.

I have 2 questions the girls are 14. I know i need a consent of some kind for her at check in and medical but not sure of what please help. Second how do her parents put money on her sail and sign that just she can use? Thanks and yes I know we are crazy!!

Just type a letter with the child's name, travel dates, ship and ports visited and have it signed by the parents. Chances are no one will ask to see it but I would hate to not have it. You can have it notarized if you want but again, you probably will not need it. We have done this a few times and never had to show it, however, we will continue to have it. As far as the medical consent, that is something you should get no matter where you travel with other people's children. The cruise line does not need it.

We sailed with our nephew several years ago, had the letter signed by his parents and notarized, and we were asked for it when we checked in. The agent told us she would not have allowed us to board without it. I've heard a number of people say that they were not asked for the letter, but it's so easy to do that I wouldn't take the chance. If you go over to the "Family Cruses" board you can search posts for form letters you can use. We used a form that doubled as a medical consent form.

Edited by nybumpkin

We sailed with our nephew several years ago, had the letter signed by his parents and notarized, and we were asked for it when we checked in. The agent told us she would not have allowed us to board without it. I've heard a number of people say that they were not asked for the letter, but it's so easy to do that I wouldn't take the chance. If you go over to the "Family Cruses" board you can search posts for form letters you can use. We used a form that doubled as a medical consent form.

It is not easy for everyone to get.

I am not saying you were n not asked for it but if you were and did not have it for a Carnival cruise, NOTHING would have happened. It is not required by carnival or before anyone jumps is by border control for s closed loop cruise, unless you are Debarking as in ending your cruise in Mexico it is simply not needed.

There is something about it being suggested in carnival faqs, but States it is required if debarking in Mexico.

If it was required, you would not get on the ship without it.

The mere fact most are n never even asked for it says it is not required.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It is not easy for everyone to get.

I am not saying you were n not asked for it but if you were and did not have it for a Carnival cruise, NOTHING would have happened. It is not required by carnival or before anyone jumps is by border control for s closed loop cruise, unless you are Debarking as in ending your cruise in Mexico it is simply not needed.

There is something about it being suggested in carnival faqs, but States it is required if debarking in Mexico.

If it was required, you would not get on the ship without it.

The mere fact most are n never even asked for it says it is not required.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I do understand that it's not easy if you're dealing with situations such as divorced parents who don't cooperate - there's a lot of discussion about that on the Family Cruisers board. Some years ago, when DH was traveling out of the country with our oldest son and I was home with our two younger sons, he was asked for the letter - and didn't know about the requirement and didn't have the letter. It took all sorts of work to get them on their way, and I would prefer not to repeat that experience.

BTW - When we returned after the cruise with our nephew, the customs agent also asked us for the letter. Not Carnival but customs.

Edited by nybumpkin

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I do understand that it's not easy if you're dealing with situations such as divorced parents who don't cooperate - there's a lot of discussion about that on the Family Cruisers board. Some years ago, when DH was traveling out of the country with our oldest son and I was home with our two younger sons, he was asked for the letter - and didn't know about the requirement and didn't have the letter. It took all sorts of work to get them on their way, and I would prefer not to repeat that experience.

BTW - When we returned after the cruise with our nephew, the customs agent also asked us for the letter. Not Carnival but customs.

The border control was in the wrong. It is not the first time. There was one in Galveston a few years ago handing out warning for people that did not have birth certificates. It is on the board if you care to search for it.

The U.S. has no requirement in any way for such a letter.

As for your husband and son, you do not give much detail, but I can guarantee they were not taking a Carnival closed loop cruise. AND I will point out even when it is required, it apparently is not required as I assume after your husband and son did not have the required note, after some questioning, they were still allowed to go even though they did n not have the REQUIRED paper.

Take it if you want to. Take it if you think it is required. But do not tell others it is needed when it is clearly n not.

Take it if you want to. Take it if you think it is required. But do not tell others it is needed when it is clearly n not.

Not going to argue with you any more. IMHO, better safe than sorry. I'm just glad we had the letter when we sailed with our nephew. Edited by nybumpkin

The bottom line is Carnival is in the business of selling cruises, not checking custody issues, friendships, etc. They only make sure the person named on the cruise documents is that person. Border Patrol may ask the child upon reentry into the US a few questions to make sure everything is on the up and up. It is only recommended to have notarized letters for children with only one parent traveling or even bringing along an unrelated friend. That being said it would be good to have a letter for medical reasons but no one will be denied medical care either without a letter.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

Edited by n6uqqq

Not going to argue with you any more. IMHO, better safe than sorry. I'm just glad we had the letter when we sailed with our nephew.

What do you think they were going to do?

Absolutely nothing. Well maybe ask the n nephew a few questions.

Do you honestly think they would stop you from entering the country?

I am glad you are n not going to argue anymore and you can haul anything you want for your cruise, but people need to stop scaring people about a letter that is not needed on carnival.