Medical Issues - Jade

Bluefox

My husband and I went on a snorkel trip in Jamaica last December while on RCCL. The water was way too choppy for snorkeling but everyone jumped in. It was awful and my husband swears he almost drowned. He made it back to the catamaran but had such an awful experience that I don't think I will ever ask him to do such an excursion again. As a matter of fact, we reported the whole experience to the excursion desk and were refunded the amount we paid for the tour. Reading this thread just reminds of that day and it was really scary.

My husband and I went on a snorkel trip in Jamaica last December while on RCCL. The water was way too choppy for snorkeling but everyone jumped in. It was awful and my husband swears he almost drowned. He made it back to the catamaran but had such an awful experience that I don't think I will ever ask him to do such an excursion again. As a matter of fact, we reported the whole experience to the excursion desk and were refunded the amount we paid for the tour. Reading this thread just reminds of that day and it was really scary.

You actually knew the water was to rough to snorkel and jumped in anyway?? I don't understand? Why would you not stay aboard?

You actually knew the water was to rough to snorkel and jumped in anyway?? I don't understand? Why would you not stay aboard?

I took her explanation to mean that her husband jumped in with the rest. She may or may not have jumped in herself.

Even if she had jumped in you take an excursion with professional guides who are supposed to know the local conditions. They know they may be dealing with people who cannot look at the surface of the ocean and know anything about the conditions. They give first time snorkelers instructions on how to put on the mask, and what that funny tube shaped thing with a mouthpiece is.

The knowledge that it was too choppy may have come from their shared experiences when the tour guide, the supposed expert, pointed and said "jump in." In these cases, we don't blame the victims for the tour guide's ignorance and carelessness, we blame the tour guide.

Yes, the whole tour group was divided into two groups, those who had and those who had not. I booked this tour from RCCL and trusted their judgement on hiring a tour company. I truly believe the tour company should have not let us out into the water. After reporting this to the excursion desk, we were told that they would investigate. Well sure enough, they investigated and we got our money back. I don't know if any other guests of that tour reported their experience. I also think that if the tour company stopped the snorkel part of the trip everyone on that catamaran would of wanted their money back and we paid a hundred bucks each. My only point of posting was that this thread reminded me of my experience and that things do happen and things can go wrong. I didn't post to let everyone know my lack of smarts when it comes to snorkeling.

I was also on this cruise, some good lots Bad, more ugly then I have ever seen, this was my first and last NCL cruise.

hey tugboat,

i absolutely agree. i tried very hard to cut the crew slack as i have also heard that repositioning cruises are difficult. by the time we docked, most of the passengers self-disembarked just to get OFF! but you are right, some good, lots bad and a whole lot of ugly. at times, some of the passengers were ready to mutiny out of pure aggravation. we just ignored most of it and tried to enjoy the fact that we was on a cruise. we met a lot of very nice people including tugboat and his wife and that made the cruise a lot more enjoyable.

I took her explanation to mean that her husband jumped in with the rest. She may or may not have jumped in herself.

Even if she had jumped in you take an excursion with professional guides who are supposed to know the local conditions. They know they may be dealing with people who cannot look at the surface of the ocean and know anything about the conditions. They give first time snorkelers instructions on how to put on the mask, and what that funny tube shaped thing with a mouthpiece is.

The knowledge that it was too choppy may have come from their shared experiences when the tour guide, the supposed expert, pointed and said "jump in." In these cases, we don't blame the victims for the tour guide's ignorance and carelessness, we blame the tour guide.

Too choppy is a relative term. An experience swimmer, diver or snorkeler might not notice a chop that to an inexperience person might seem like the ocean is being beaten by a tropical storm. I know that we often snorkel when most people think it is too choppy or rough and have a great time, but if you are not used to it, or don't swim well it can be a real problem, especially if you don't like occasional mouths full of salt water.

I too just returned from the Jade....the cruise from hell!

I watched them remove the medical emergency patient from the ship from my balcony...after hearing the report of the previous death, it was a bit unnerving.

Unfortunately I spent a good bit of the cruise in the cabin with a sick kid.... We couldn't get any relief for her from medical because they were closed to any non-life threatening emergencies while they dealt with the obviously serious events on board.

I won't even go into the staffing issues...our 1st AND last NCL... Possibly turned off from cruising for good! So disappointed!

Wow, after reading this thread My feeling of excitement for our December cruise on the Jade is quickly fading! We have booked the shark alley shore excursion and I am now considering canceling it. We have kids that will be on this excursion and now I'm not feeling real sure about this adventure! :(

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on the Jan. 9th cruise & I was about to book the shark/Ray snorkel. I had read a review somewhere that said it was kind of choppy, they wanted you in water shoes but it was too deep to stand on the bottom so was kind of difficult to tread water in water shoes. We loved stingray city in Cayman, maybe we should stop while we have a good ray experience and do something else in Belieze

Edited by EP-cruiser

We are currently on the Jade. This particular cruise has had more passengers with medical issues than I have ever been on before. I have heard of 2+ heart attacks, at least 2 with major falls, one emergency medical evacuation near Cancun and one unfortunate passenger apparently went swimming with the sharks in Belize; and I heard they died while doing so. This is so insane. My thoughts and prayers to all of the passengers. Let's hope the last day of this trip home is less eventful.

This sounds like a cruise our daughter took a few years ago (well probably more like 8 or so years ago) they had 2 different emergency evacuations, someone overboard, at least one heart attack and the to top it off the ship experienced an outbreak of NORO toward the end of the cruise.