Chikungunya

Deedee85

What on earth? A friend just sent me this travel advisory for the Caribbean. We are on the Gem 11/23. Should we be concerned? http://Http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-caribbean

Use mosquito bite prevention techniques. Typically, avoid naural site at dusk and dawn and use a good bug spray if outdoors in prone areas (like the beach). I don't use Deet on my kids at home, but I do in Chikungunya locals. In the worst case, if you get it, it will be like a bad flu. It will suck, but is very unlikely to kill you. You have better odds of contracting influenza from another guest than you do of getting the chicken gun (what my kids call it).

Don't hang out in mosquito infested areas, and use bug spray for sure. If your excursion involves hiking, wear pants and long sleeves.

Cozumel (for one) occasionally has bouts of dengue fever from the mosquitos too. Doesn't seem to stop the hordes of cruisers.

Thanks. Mosquitoes love me so I will bring something strong. My immune system is a little weak at the moment due to a ruptured appendix followed by 9 months of surgery complications. I just got out of bed in early October, there is no way I'm getting back in!

What on earth? A friend just sent me this travel advisory for the Caribbean. We are on the Gem 11/23. Should we be concerned? http://Http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-caribbean

That advisory has been out for a while. take precautions if you are going to be in an area with a lot of mosquitoes. We were in the Bahamas last week, and there was no discussion or warning about it on the ship.