What were your haven requests?

bnorris10

• 2 months later...

general question: when do you tip. in this thread i've read that people asked for bbq from the deck of the ship, cocktail parties setup. and meals from X restaurant brought to their balcony for dinner. i admit the idea of one dinner on the balcony or in the room sounds nice

so do you tip as soon as they deliver it or wait until the end? my guess is tip then and there so you get continued good service. but then at the end, do you tip him also if you've done so every time you see him for special requests?

Just got back from the Breakaway last week (from the Bahamas to 28 degrees - thanks a bunch, Minnesota winters!). We didn't make any special requests but our butler was great at having a selection of both savory and sweet options for the afternoon snack, and a more substantial offering of sandwiches and chips on the days he knew we were off the ship. .

are you saying on days you went off to the beach they actually made you sandwiches to take off ship. i gotta admit i never thought of that!

which brings me to another weird question. do people take doggie bags back to their room if the meal is too large for them?

general question: when do you tip. in this thread i've read that people asked for bbq from the deck of the ship, cocktail parties setup. and meals from X restaurant brought to their balcony for dinner. i admit the idea of one dinner on the balcony or in the room sounds nice

so do you tip as soon as they deliver it or wait until the end? my guess is tip then and there so you get continued good service. but then at the end, do you tip him also if you've done so every time you see him for special requests?

are you saying on days you went off to the beach they actually made you sandwiches to take off ship. i gotta admit i never thought of that!

which brings me to another weird question. do people take doggie bags back to their room if the meal is too large for them?

You're not really permitted to take food off the ship. I'm sure what the 0P meant was that their Butler brought them sandwiches for their afternoon snack's however he delivered them to their cabin which was either waiting for them when they return to the ship or were delivered soon after their return

Harriet

The sense of entitlement by some is amazing. There are not "runners" in the Haven or any of the suite dining facilities waiting to make special trips around the ship just for you. There are a set number of servers to take care of the facility they are in, in this case, the Haven Restaurant. When you try to force special trips to get your "favorite" food from around the ship, you do take away from the other guests. Your butler is available to get food for your room. The servers in the Haven are there to take care of the Haven and diners there. It has nothing to do with how much you spend. If you believe it does, then the GV, DOS and OS should always trump the service to all other suite guests. There is nothing in any of the documentation regarding the Haven that says Haven servers are to run around the ship fetching food for you. If the food on the menu for the meal are not to your satisfaction, go to the restaurant that has the food you want. Can you imagine if everyone in the dining room at one point in time each ask for a plate of food from different venues at one time, who would ever get fed? Being spoiled in the Haven does not mean they are your personal servants. They are there to serve that meal to everyone in the Haven, not run around the ship catering to one persons personal needs.

Our butler made it clear from day one that he would accommodate any dining or related preferences and requests. All breakfasts, most lunches and dinners, including ordering direct from Cagneys, served in the suite or outside in the courtyard. And, unlimited M & M's throughout. Never once did he indicate it was too much for him or discouraged it in any way. That I should worry that service is suffering somewhere else? Uh, no.

I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can come back to read it when I DON'T get an upsell on our April 3 cruise. It will probably make me feel better about staying in our mini suite.

Seriously, I am not very good at having people "do" for me this way. Even on vacation. Now don't anyone get all silly and ask about things like a waiter in a restaurant, or a bartender making me a drink. I'm not crazy. Just feel a little odd about having someone really "wait" on me on a one to one basis this way. I know I would never ask a butler to do anything that even appeared to be in any way over the top - and to me getting food from another location/restaurant the way described here would be too much. Luckily I know that my husband feels the same way. (Full disclosure: neither one of us would hesitate to ask the OTHER to run up 5 flights of stairs and the full length of the ship to get a drink or a snack for each other!!!)

As always, just my personal feelings.

Sometimes even regular cabin people make requests. We asked for chocolate milk for our kiddos in La Cucina one night last year and only later found out that the server had to go to the MDR to get it. That seemed odd to me, but there it is. We had asked for it in the other restaurants as well, and nobody ever said anything until La Cucina. And if we were on a ship with a Haven restaurant, I would probably be asking for kid menu items, since they are supposed to be available in all restaurants on ship.

Edited by Starflyr3

I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can come back to read it when I DON'T get an upsell on our April 3 cruise. It will probably make me feel better about staying in our mini suite.

Seriously, I am not very good at having people "do" for me this way. Even on vacation. Now don't anyone get all silly and ask about things like a waiter in a restaurant, or a bartender making me a drink. I'm not crazy. Just feel a little odd about having someone really "wait" on me on a one to one basis this way. I know I would never ask a butler to do anything that even appeared to be in any way over the top - and to me getting food from another location/restaurant the way described here would be too much. Luckily I know that my husband feels the same way. (Full disclosure: neither one of us would hesitate to ask the OTHER to run up 5 flights of stairs and the full length of the ship to get a drink or a snack for each other!!!)

As always, just my personal feelings.

Could not agree more