Hilo lunch suggestions

Rosefloater

Give us an idea what "too fancy" means and we can possibly help. I can't think of any restaurants that are closed on Monday in Hilo. I can give you ideas if you give me an idea of what kind of lunch you are looking for. And, really nothing is too fancy in Hilo...lol. It is a very laid back town. But, everything in Hawaii costs a bit more if you are thinking about price.

If the local farmer's market is open - there are food booths with tasty local food. You might also consider lunch from a food truck. Food trucks have been a local tradition for years. Plate lunches are a specialty. I'd buy a nice plate lunch and carry it to a scenic place, sit on a bench, and enjoy the view.

Last year we ate at the Moon and Turtle (51 Kalakaua St, Hilo, HI 96720), back then it was called Full Moon Cafe. Nice, quiet little place with great food. Here is a link to the posting I made during the cruise. I am looking forward to eating there again in April.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44096785&postcount=371

• 2 weeks later...

Kuhio Grille in Prince Kuhio Plaza... You'll be saying "it broke da mouf" (was unbelievably delicious). Their laulau is very good... Staff are very friendly. If you've never had Hawaiian food (beyond a tourist luau) go here and tell them you've never had Hawaiian food and let them bring several things for your table to share.