How Has Tendering Been Lately?

HollandAvery

I'm just curious how many recent cruisers have been able to stop in Grand Cayman and actually tender? Have the winds been too rough lately?

Have any excursions been cancelled due to the weather?

We're really looking forward to Stingray City and are hoping it isn't missed due to winds/etc. and were wondering what the experience has been like for most cruisers lately.

I know even though it's sometimes a bit windy a ship will still allow tendering but Port Authority will close down Stingray City and other popular excursion spots.

A few comments

IME the 'bad season' if you want to call it that, for tendering is Jan thru Mar ... there won't be problems every day but IME more common at this time of the year. (first visit around 1984 . . . I go for a week at a time for diving in addition to cruise visits)

I could be wrong but I believe the port authority has no 'control' over Stingray city operations ... this is not at the port.

IME when port authority HAS closed the port or suspended tender operations, my diving operators have shifted to locations NEAR stingray city. The port sits on the west bank, and winds out of the west are typically what messes up port operations. When this happens, stingray city being on the NORTH side and inside the barrier reef is typically CALM! Note the port authority does not 'suspend' dive boats from going out, but the conditions on the west side are bad in this situation as well. So, if possible the larger dive operations move to the north wall ... this requires more logistics but is a great thing about Cayman for a dive trip .... short of a hurricane there is always decent diving SOMEPLACE!

My first trip to Cayman in November, the beaches and all excusing were cancelled. Only 2 ships tendered, those with their own tender boats. HOLLAND A. And Princrss.

did they use Spotts vs the regular Georgetown landing?

Cuz that would be the norm ......

on certain days where the weather prevents operations off Georgetown ....

a LIMITED operation can MAY BE supported off the south side at SPOTTS BAY depending on the weather specifics . . .

Typically only 2 ships, who use their own tenders . . .

I would mention that if this IS the case, the weather on 7 mile, and the diving on the most well known sites is KAPUT. ... the ships run busses to town cuz at SPOTTS is NOTHING.

Advantage is you DID get ashore . . . .

A few comments

I could be wrong but I believe the port authority has no 'control' over Stingray city operations ... this is not at the port.

The Port Authority can close the sandbar and/or original Stingray City site upon advice from the police Marine Unit or Department of Environment Enforcement officers.

IME when port authority HAS closed the port or suspended tender operations, my diving operators have shifted to locations NEAR stingray city. The port sits on the west bank, and winds out of the west are typically what messes up port operations. When this happens, stingray city being on the NORTH side and inside the barrier reef is typically CALM! Note the port authority does not 'suspend' dive boats from going out, but the conditions on the west side are bad in this situation as well. So, if possible the larger dive operations move to the north wall ... this requires more logistics but is a great thing about Cayman for a dive trip .... short of a hurricane there is always decent diving SOMEPLACE!

YMMV. Northwest winds are the most common reason the normal port operations are suspended. Those winds also typically blow out the Stingray sites as well as North Wall scuba diving.