Traffic from New Jersey airport hotel to port?

NancyC

I am reading about a lot of congestion at the port in Bayonne and it sounds like long waits to get to the port because of the congestion. Are cabs metered here and if so has anyone had a large cab fare to get to your ship? Is a cab not the best way to get to the port?

The easiest way to get to the port from a hotel is to book a hotel that offers FREE shuttle to the port and free pickup to where you left your car at the hotel. The second easiest way to to arrive at the port early; that is around 10:00am to 10:30am or so. That way you will have to wait around at the port to board, but you will beat the traffic jam on the port access road.

[quote name='NancyC']I am reading about a lot of congestion at the port in Bayonne and it sounds like long waits to get to the port because of the congestion. Are cabs metered here and if so has anyone had a large cab fare to get to your ship? Is a cab not the best way to get to the port?[/quote]

After we had heard about some congestion issues - we found a solution to get around that. We are booked at Embassy Suites, doing the park and cruise deal, leaving the car there at the hotel for nine days, and will take the hotel shuttle. On the day of debarkation/return, we'll just call the hotel for the shuttle ride back then just drive back to VA from there. Carefree, (cab-free), and, worry-free (although there still might be some delays) but we're not going to worry about it as we'll request a ride first thing in the morning.

Try to arrive early. Avoid noon time as traffic is congested and can take 30 min to get in. The drive from the embassy suites is 10 min to the port. If you ask the front desk for a cab to the ship they will call a limo service that charges 65 dollars . The total travel time from hotel to pier including port traffic is about 40 min.

Be careful of booking a hotel and expecting a timely pick up for your return to your vehicle on your day of departure. We went with Ramada Plaza which had been highly recommended. Let's just say we called in advance like they asked. Even requested a pick up at 9:30 am when we made the reservation. We waited 1 and a half hours from the time we called Ramada until the time their car arrived. Simply put... never again! If I ever sail from there again, I'm just parking at the port.

[quote name='sergeant655']Try to arrive early. Avoid noon time as traffic is congested and can take 30 min to get in. The drive from the embassy suites is 10 min to the port. If you ask the front desk for a cab to the ship they will call a limo service that charges 65 dollars . The total travel time from hotel to pier including port traffic is about 40 min.[/QUOTE]

The Embassy Suites in Elizabeth has a free shuttle, they will pick you up from the cruise terminal and bring you back if you call them. It may not be timely though, like the last time we did this.

[quote name='Glitter nails']Be careful of booking a hotel and expecting a timely pick up for your return to your vehicle on your day of departure. We went with Ramada Plaza which had been highly recommended. Let's just say we called in advance like they asked. Even requested a pick up at 9:30 am when we made the reservation. We waited 1 and a half hours from the time we called Ramada until the time their car arrived. Simply put... never again! If I ever sail from there again, I'm just parking at the port.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we had a long wait when we stayed the park and cruise at Embassy Suites...it was worth it though (free)...I'm expecting that again this time, but I've read some people were actually paying $65 for a limo ride from the ship to the hotel! That is insane!

[quote name='johnjen']Yeah, we had a long wait when we stayed the park and cruise at Embassy Suites...it was worth it though (free)...I'm expecting that again this time, but I've read some people were actually paying $65 for a limo ride from the ship to the hotel! That is insane![/QUOTE]

I don't think the shuttle is free. I just checked the Embassy Suites website and a regular room without the park and cruise package is $189 per night and with the park and cruise package it's $249. The difference is $60 per night. (Note: this is before taxes). I've sent an email to the hotel to find out how much they charge to purchase the port shuttle (I don't need parking) as I am planning on spending two nights pre cruise and don't want to spend an extra $120 (plus tax) as I'm sure a cab would be cheaper to take to the port. If anyone knows how much Embassy Suites charges for just the port transfer, I would appreciate it.

[quote name='brfan']I don't think the shuttle is free. I just checked the Embassy Suites website and a regular room without the park and cruise package is $189 per night and with the park and cruise package it's $249. The difference is $60 per night. (Note: this is before taxes). I've sent an email to the hotel to find out how much they charge to purchase the port shuttle (I don't need parking) as I am planning on spending two nights pre cruise and don't want to spend an extra $120 (plus tax) as I'm sure a cab would be cheaper to take to the port. If anyone knows how much Embassy Suites charges for just the port transfer, I would appreciate it.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads-up on this, apparently things (fees) have changed. Might make me re-think the entire reservation because it was explained to us differently when we booked and it wasn't quite that expensive, but all the same best for me to double-check. There's nothing worse than getting told by the hotel one thing and then they change their minds.

[quote name='brfan']I don't think the shuttle is free. I just checked the Embassy Suites website and a regular room without the park and cruise package is $189 per night and with the park and cruise package it's $249. The difference is $60 per night. (Note: this is before taxes). I've sent an email to the hotel to find out how much they charge to purchase the port shuttle (I don't need parking) as I am planning on spending two nights pre cruise and don't want to spend an extra $120 (plus tax) as I'm sure a cab would be cheaper to take to the port. If anyone knows how much Embassy Suites charges for just the port transfer, I would appreciate it.[/quote]

Oh, forgot to add ~ typically, you'd think the return shuttle is free since we're paying for the park and cruise - but I'm still gonna double check with them to make sure. On my to-do list for later on - when I get word from Embassy I will post a reply here.

[quote name='Glitter nails']We waited 1 and a half hours from the time we called Ramada until the time their car arrived. Simply put... never again! If I ever sail from there again, I'm just parking at the port.[/QUOTE]

I would have been home by then. That's why we always partk our car at the pier. Besides we only live 58 miles away so no need to go the day before. Just takes up an extra day of getting ready. it's not like Newark is a vacation spot.