Early May '16 Foot wear question/hiking

jonikal

We're booked on the inaugural Fjords explorer route in early May 2016 and we're aware of the average temperatures at that time of year. For walking/hiking purposes, are hiking sticks recommended and if so, does the ship have any to lend out? Is there still ice on the ground and if so, are ice cleats spikes advisable? Thanks for any input.

We were on the Finnmarken two years ago in mid May. There were icy patches on some hiking trails, but none to the extent that I felt I needed ice cleats. (We live in Minnesota, so we are used to hiking on icy patches). I would bring waterproof hiking shoes, since at times we were walking in rain, mist and sleet (all within a 15 minute time span on our excursion to the North Cape). While I saw people using walking sticks I do not remember if any were available on our ship. Since your trip is more of a cruise, it may be worthwhile to contact Hurtigruten directly.

We were on the Finnmarken two years ago in mid May. There were icy patches on some hiking trails, but none to the extent that I felt I needed ice cleats. (We live in Minnesota, so we are used to hiking on icy patches). I would bring waterproof hiking shoes, since at times we were walking in rain, mist and sleet (all within a 15 minute time span on our excursion to the North Cape). While I saw people using walking sticks I do not remember if any were available on our ship. Since your trip is more of a cruise, it may be worthwhile to contact Hurtigruten directly.

Thanks for the good info - especially the importance of waterproof hiking shoes.

Since we are on the inaugural sailing on the Spitsbergen, there's not much tribal knowledge to be had on the website. We're compiling a list of questions for Hurtigruten and will ask about the availability of walking sticks onboard.

I don't have answers for you, but I would be very interested to have a report on your trip when you come back, as I'm rather interested in this new ship (maybe more for Arctic trips in 2017). As you say, there is little info on the ship so far (for good reasons) so any kind of review would be very helpful!

I don't have answers for you, but I would be very interested to have a report on your trip when you come back, as I'm rather interested in this new ship (maybe more for Arctic trips in 2017). As you say, there is little info on the ship so far (for good reasons) so any kind of review would be very helpful!

As I plan to keep a log, I will be more than happy to share a trip report upon our return. It will be interesting and being an inaugural for this ship, we don't expect perfection :). Hopefully as the time draws nearer, the Hurtigruten staff will be more able to answer some questions that are not addressed in any of their brochures or web site.

My trip was mid-May to late May. I took cleats for my shoes, but never used them. We had lots of rain, but no snow, never any ice on deck or in town, and I did not take any long hiking trips...the short hikes I took were ice free. I had a collapsible hiking stick with me, but never took it out of the case. There were no hiking sticks on board the ship (MS Trollfjord), so if you think you need one, take one with you.

• 2 weeks later...
My trip was mid-May to late May. I took cleats for my shoes, but never used them. We had lots of rain, but no snow, never any ice on deck or in town, and I did not take any long hiking trips...the short hikes I took were ice free. I had a collapsible hiking stick with me, but never took it out of the case. There were no hiking sticks on board the ship (MS Trollfjord), so if you think you need one, take one with you.

Apparently the Spitsbergen will have hiking sticks onboard - for rent - which avoids us having to pack collapsible ones, which, as you note, you didn't need.

Thanks.