Anthem survey comments

This is pretty much verbatim of my final comments in the after-cruise survey. We did have a really good time, and except for the issues mentioned below, it was almost perfect.

My comments come from over 30 years of cruising on 31 cruises, including 12 on Royal Caribbean, and 5 on Celebrity.

We had a great time, but.... The dining experience was a huge let-down after years of improvements. The first 3 nights had long waits and rushed service. The food in the 4 main dining rooms was not nearly as interesting, varied or flavorful as in recent past cruises, including Liberty and Grandeur earlier this year. Some items were just really bad.

And what happened to the great bread (pumpkin seed, cheesy and poppy seed) from the past? We had to go to Windjammer to get it, although no little poppy seed rolls ever.

A drastic re-think is required regarding the restaurant and food situation. Great waiters saved a number of bad meals, but overall a real disappointment.

In Windjammer, although there is lots of choice, there is almost no variation from day to day. Dinner in WJ was nothing special, with no items from the main dining rooms to make it more interesting, as we have seen on recent cruises. "Italian night" meant 1 pasta station. "Mexican night" meant 1 fajita station.

Most desserts were uninteresting and rarely changed, but thank you for incredible bread pudding every day, and the amazing Napoleons in Cafe Promenade every day.

The main restaurants do not have enough sound-blocking near the galley and clean up areas at the back. Any tables near those areas experience terrible noise due to only partial walls. Needs to be fixed desperately.

The Schooner bar right above the Music Hall? The sound bleeds through the floor, ruining the entertainment there. Also, the piano should be in the room, not at the edge by the elevators. Bad design.

Remove those big colored lamps in 270 which block the views from anyone sitting in the back section. Bad design.

Northstar never went over the side of the ship - otherwise, it's great.

There was just 1 (great) comedian in 12 nights. No other non-music entertainment at all in 12 nights.

Sometimes Royal IQ worked, and sometimes it didn't. Also, why no version for Android tablets?

Still no chair-hog assistance by pool attendants.

Rock the Boat - by far the best band ever at sea.

Arvin in Silk, and Liliana in American Icon - great waiters who saved mediocre meals.

We sailed the Explorer 5 times while it was home-ported in NJ. We would like to do the same with Anthem, but we would not go on it again until we hear from others that the restaurant situation has improved.

The Anthem is an incredible and beautiful ship, with so much going for it. Without the restaurant issues, it would easily be a 9 1/2. We had an amazing time. But to have to worry that every night will be a hassle and/or disappointment can ruin it.

Please, please fix the restaurants so we can go back.

Additional items not mentioned in my survey comments:

Diamond Club was really nice each night, and the 3 free drinks were great too. Just make sure the bartenders know you're ordering a Diamond drink so they don't screw it up.

Although there were plenty of chair hogs, there were also plenty of lounges available, except for the area immediately around the outside pool. It was fine, but it could be a problem during very busy weeks.

I don't understand people who don't understand The Gift. They not only explain the plot in the first minute, but they further explain it a number of times during the production. Beautiful show.

We Will Rock You - anyone who says it's incredible without any caveats is crazy. The singing, dancing, acting and production values are probably the best we've ever seen at sea. But let's face it, even though those things are incredible, the story itself is something out of high school. But fortunately the plot can be forgotten amidst the incredible singing, dancing, acting and production values.

We found that after the first day, they cleared tables very quickly in WJ, and we only had trouble finding seats at the very busiest of times. Secret spot is at the very back, outside.

Internet worked great on the entire ship.

Bumper cars were a blast.

They kept the pool area with the retractable roof at a very comfortable temperature while the roof was closed. This was whether we were in cooler weather or hot weather.

Embarkation was 20 minutes from car to ship.

Disembarkation was under 30 minutes to the car.

As I said before, we had a really great time other than the restaurants, and we hope they'll fix that so we can go on the Anthem again real soon.

---------------------

OP: your food experience was similar to mine on the Anthem TA (I have a detailed thread in this forum with my thoughts, and I gave them on the survey as well). We abolutely loved the ship and otherwise had a great time, but the food and the service in many of the "complimentary" venues were really subpar. RCI needs more and better trained servers, and needs to improve the food. We are totally NOT picky eaters, but we found much of the food very disappointing. Add harried and confused servers to that, and it's not a good mix.

Northstar never went over the side of the ship - otherwise, it's great.

Interesting that you said this. We were lucky enough to go up in North Star on the first day of our crossing. North Star went up and then out to both sides of the ship. The next few days, high winds and rough seas meant all the outdoor stuff was cancelled. Once North Star resumed operating, I never saw it go out to the sides again, and wondered whether this was a time-saver to accommodate more people, since there were so many days when it was not operating.

It will be interesting to see what others report about this from future cruises. North Star was absolutely amazing.

running%20trrack%202%201024x511_zpsmhejdnv8.jpg

From%20North%20Star%20portside%201024x683_zpsvfexnp1c.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

We were told yesterday that having Northstar extend to the sides like that doubles the duration of the trip (20-25 minutes) and they won't do it anymore so that the trip can be around 10 minutes and double the # of people getting a chance

Edited by conandrob240

We were told yesterday that having Northstar extend to the sides like that doubles the duration of the trip (20-25 minutes) and they won't do it anymore so that the trip can be around 10 minutes and double the # of people getting a chance

They told us the same thing on the previous sailing. Such a shame... and really kind of silly given that the image of the North Star over the side of the ship is not only featured on the SEA PASS CARDS but also the top of every day's cruise compass!

I'm disappointed by this change.

Then my speculation above during the TA was correct that this change was made to save time; I hate to have been right here, ugh! (And it means that first sea day on the TA, we were the last to go out to the side. With our free WOW bands on. :rolleyes: )

Here's what I don't understand about this change. RCI knew going into this that a maximum of 14 guests (and the operator) can go up in North Star. They knew going in how long the full flight (up and to the sides) would take, and thus how many flights per hour they could do. They knew going in how many people can sail on Anthem. Do the math, for heaven's sake. Didn't anyone think this through?

Also, why not add more hours to the time when North Star operates? On the TA, the announced starting time was 9AM, even though it was light for a couple of hours before that. Even then, they didn't start on time. At 9AM, they were doing the morning test flight.

Then my speculation above during the TA was correct that this change was made to save time; I hate to have been right here, ugh! (And it means that first sea day on the TA, we were the last to go out to the side. With our free WOW bands on. :rolleyes: )

Here's what I don't understand about this change. RCI knew going into this that a maximum of 14 guests (and the operator) can go up in North Star. They knew going in how long the full flight (up and to the sides) would take, and thus how many flights per hour they could do. They knew going in how many people can sail on Anthem. Do the math, for heaven's sake. Didn't anyone think this through?

Also, why not add more hours to the time when North Star operates? On the TA, the announced starting time was 9AM, even though it was light for a couple of hours before that. Even then, they didn't start on time. At 9AM, they were doing the morning test flight.

How about just one side instead of both the group going up can vote on which side that with a hour or two more time would more then address the issue.

How about just one side instead of both the group going up can vote on which side that with a hour or two more time would more then address the issue.

Her are some numbers. If the operate from 9 to 9 every day of cruise plus half a day on day one. Then you get about 6500 passenger capacity for entire cruise. This is based on new ten minute trips. If you do both sides it goes down to 3250 capacity. That assumes no bad weather or down time.

If it operated 15 hours a day 7 to 10. The capacity goes to 8190 for 10 min trips and 4095 for 20 min trips or 5460 for single side 15 min trips. It is clear they are limited on number they can handle in 7 day cruise. 12 day cruises should pose no problem to do both sides. And still let everyone get a ride.

Hind sight is 20/20 so I bet the wish the Northstar was rated for a 20 that changes 12 hour day 7 day cruise and 10 min runs to about 9200 so just adding 6 people per trip is huge

• 1 year later...

Main dining room service way too slow especially with kids and no kids menu. Jamie's Italian had great lamb chops and truffle pasta very good. Wonderland was interesting different style food was good nothing outstanding. Izumi was good for sushi. Chops nothing to write home about. Windjammer hard to find tables and sat down at dirty tables that were never cleaned off. Ate at main dining room chic one night..service was too slow didn't get what we ordered kids couldn't tolerate the long wait so we ended up eating at buffet last two nights in and out 30 min. Specialty coffee was great and included in drink package. Irish coffee cappachino iced coffee etc. never got to bumper cars roller skating or trapeze. Shows were ok loved the vantriliquist and spectra caberat. We will rock u very annoying story line although the singing and dancing was great. Kids club ok except after 10pm you have to pay which if u eat at 830 you won't be back till 1030. No real party atmosphere poolside band occasionally. The Norwegian breakaway made anthem look bad in Bahamas I wanted to get on their ship they were dancing and had great music while guests getting back on ship. Would have liked more poolside activities and music. Something carnival does well. All in all won't be cruising again anytime soon too many people for me.. beautiful boat no major complaints. Ifly was awesome and northstar was great. Embarkation very fast 20 min from security to check in. Disembark fast as well off ship 9 am -car 915

Main dining room service way too slow especially with kids and no kids menu. Jamie's Italian had great lamb chops and truffle pasta very good. Wonderland was interesting different style food was good nothing outstanding. Izumi was good for sushi. Chops nothing to write home about. Windjammer hard to find tables and sat down at dirty tables that were never cleaned off. Ate at main dining room chic one night..service was too slow didn't get what we ordered kids couldn't tolerate the long wait so we ended up eating at buffet last two nights in and out 30 min. Specialty coffee was great and included in drink package. Irish coffee cappachino iced coffee etc. never got to bumper cars roller skating or trapeze. Shows were ok loved the vantriliquist and spectra caberat. We will rock u very annoying story line although the singing and dancing was great. Kids club ok except after 10pm you have to pay which if u eat at 830 you won't be back till 1030. No real party atmosphere poolside band occasionally. The Norwegian breakaway made anthem look bad in Bahamas I wanted to get on their ship they were dancing and had great music while guests getting back on ship. Would have liked more poolside activities and music. Something carnival does well. All in all won't be cruising again anytime soon too many people for me.. beautiful boat no major complaints. Ifly was awesome and northstar was great. Embarkation very fast 20 min from security to check in. Disembark fast as well off ship 9 am -car 915

I was next to you on the breakaway- it was fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums