Leave ship in one port, rejoin in another port allowed?

pikala

No, you weren't.

OP asked about leaving the ship in China, and reboarding in China. Your experience did not address that at all.

I was clear that the OP needs to address the deviation with HAL who should know if this can be done and if so they will grant the deviation.

Give it a break already.

Edited by Jade13

What "we're sailing away" posted made sense in terms of what the OP was asking.

What "Jade13" posted didn't as she posted about her deviations from one country to another, none of which were the country the OP asked about.

Give it a break.

Hi Ruth,

I think that what both “we’re sailing away” and “Jade13” are saying is that HAL needs to know the cabotage laws of all the countries to which they sail. So if HAL is willing to grant an exception to the cruise itinerary, then they must believe that the requested trip is acceptable.

Scott & Karen

Exactly. Thank you.

Umm.... I'm the OP and I just want to thank everyone again for good advice. I learned that many people have done this before and we should get the deviation letter from HAL. We plan to leave the ship in Tianjin and rejoin in Shanghai. It was great to hear of everyone's adventures and I learned a few things along the way. Thank you.

Brazilian Customs can be very difficult :cool:

Don't I know that. I used to call there regularly, and at least in Santos, when the Customs boarding agents had cleared the ship, and sealed the bonded locker, we had to fly a flag that was blue with a white star, which apparently was the signal for additional customs agents to come onboard, request a bribe from the bonded locker (bottle of scotch), and would then instruct the boarding agents to return to re-seal the locker. I thought it should have been the pirate flag!

Don't I know that. I used to call there regularly, and at least in Santos, when the Customs boarding agents had cleared the ship, and sealed the bonded locker, we had to fly a flag that was blue with a white star, which apparently was the signal for additional customs agents to come onboard, request a bribe from the bonded locker (bottle of scotch), and would then instruct the boarding agents to return to re-seal the locker. I thought it should have been the pirate flag!

They are fond of changing their rules and subsequent MO's based on which way the wind is blowing that day

Says the American... :D

CBP are not that difficult........dude ;) Only ones more challenging than the Brazilians are the Chinese! Especially when you don't allow fifteen of them to come onboard w/o any prior notification to have a free dinner in the Lido. They just chain the doors to the terminal building on both sides with forty passengers inside :eek:

CBP are not that difficult........dude ;) Only ones more challenging than the Brazilians are the Chinese!

I was thinking more on the visa side :) Americans are quick to point out how much hassle and cost there is for visas when they don't know what people have to go through - and pay - to visit the USA.

I was thinking more on the visa side :) Americans are quick to point out how much hassle and cost there is for visas when they don't know what people have to go through - and pay - to visit the USA.

Ah, but visas are the State Department, not CBP. When you get to experience first hand the arbitrariness of individual customs agents around the world, and the open bribery that is expected in the most commonplace transactions, it really, almost, makes you long for US CBP. Almost, I said. :o