UDP on 14 day cruise....is there a limit?

Theodorable

We have the UDP on a 14 day cruise next year as part of NCL's promotion. Is there a limit to the number of times we can visit each restaurant with no charge? I haven't looked closely as to how many restaurants are on the Jade but hope that we can just pick a restaurant each night if we want (subject to availability of course).

Many thanks

We have the UDP on a 14 day cruise next year as part of NCL's promotion. Is there a limit to the number of times we can visit each restaurant with no charge? I haven't looked closely as to how many restaurants are on the Jade but hope that we can just pick a restaurant each night if we want (subject to availability of course).

Many thanks

Do you have UDP or SDP?:)

that's what is says in the info on my TA's site as a perk. I had to pay the 18% gratuity on it for both of us.

Thanks

We had the UDP on our 14 day med cruise in october, and my understanding of it is you can eat in any restaurant as many times as you want or more than one each night, but doesn't include a la carte. We ate in the speciality restaurants 11 nights out of the 14 and le bistro was our favourite.:)

that's what is says in the info on my TA's site as a perk. I had to pay the 18% gratuity on it for both of us.
Sounds like you maybe booked in June or July 2015, is that right?

There is no limit to the number of times you can visit each restaurant with the UDP. You could go to Cagney's every night if you wanted.

It used to be possible to go to more than restaurant in the same evening but they may have stopped allowing this (that's what I was told last week on the Epic). You should ask on board if you are interested in that.

You should definitely try all of the specialty restaurants on the Jade, but if you do all 14 nights, you are going to end up going to some of them 3 or 4 times, and that might be a bit much… And you could be interested in trying the two MDRs anyway. So keep an eye on the menus every day and if anything catches your eye, you might consider taking a break from specialty dining every few evenings.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

This is great news. We will most definitely be using the dining rooms...I think food on Norwegian is pretty good. We will also love the other restaurants....hope Tepanyaki (spelling!) is one of the ones we can visit because my husband loves this.

We are on the trans Atlantic from Barcelona in October 2016

Thanks again

Many thanks

If it's the new promotion that's running now, it does not include every day. Mine is a seven night cruise and includes only 4 nights of specialty dining.

even if it just includes 8 nights out of the 14 that will be great.

One further thing? I presume we will have to wait till we are onboard to book the restaurants ....otherwise they would charge us in advance!

Looking forward to our cruise

Edited by Theodorable

even if it just includes 8 nights out of the 14 that will be great.
Well, it would be nice to know beforehand what you are getting… When did you book this cruise? You said you had to pay the 18% gratuity: How much was that exactly? If you paid $40.32 per person, you have the full UDP for 14 days. If you paid $18.72 per person, you are getting a 6-meal specialty dining package.

I presume we will have to wait till we are onboard to book the restaurants ....otherwise they would charge us in advance!

You don't have to wait until you are on board. A bit closer to your saildate (90 days before) you should be able to make all your dining reservations on-line or by phone, and they will not charge you in advance. This is especially important for Teppanyaki, because the Jade has very few seats available.

My understanding is that:

UDP = No limits and no gratuities

SDP = set number of meals or visits

I just checked more closely and it's the SDP that we have. I upgraded our cabin today for a cruise that we have had booked for ages. The prices were down so this was an easy move. The SDP is secondary to the UBP which we already had. I haven't seen our new invoice yet but do remember our TA saying $18 or so each in gratuities.

I presume with this that we will be restricted in the number of meals....someone earlier mentioned 4 on a 7 night cruise....which would equate to 8 on a 14 night cruise.

Hopefully this is the case. In any case, we will have fun and if I can book the restaurants in advance the that would be great.

If we hadn't had this package included then we would have mostly eaten in the dining room so it isn't a big deal.

Thanks everyone for their input....much appreciated.

Edited by Theodorable

I am very confused and I know someone out there can give me the answer. We have the UDP (Not SDP) for our Escape cruise next December, but if I understand correctly you can't use it at any restaurant that had a la carte pricing. So that means the only two places I can use it is Moderno Churasscaria & Teppanyaki, is that correct? On a 7-day cruise eating at each place three times in a week would be a bit much. I don't think I will get much value from that promo.

Our last cruise was in May of this year. We had the UDP. There were some items on the menu that were an upcharge, but it was all included in the UDP. I don't know if this has changed, but that's how it worked in May. No matter what you ordered, there were no additional charges.

We had breakfast delivered to our room each morning, lunch at Cagney's each day, and then we had dinner around the ship in different places. Don't limit yourself to only specialty dining. After a few specialty dinners....you'd be surprised how wonderful a simple burger tastes. So, have a night in the MDR too. That is why I told Theodorable it would be fun to mix it up a bit.

I am very confused and I know someone out there can give me the answer. We have the UDP (Not SDP) for our Escape cruise next December, but if I understand correctly you can't use it at any restaurant that had a la carte pricing. So that means the only two places I can use it is Moderno Churasscaria & Teppanyaki, is that correct? On a 7-day cruise eating at each place three times in a week would be a bit much. I don't think I will get much value from that promo.

You can also use it in Le Bistro, La Cucina and Cagneys, despite them now being a la carte on the Escape.

I just checked more closely and it's the SDP that we have. I upgraded our cabin today for a cruise that we have had booked for ages. The prices were down so this was an easy move. The SDP is secondary to the UBP which we already had. I haven't seen our new invoice yet but do remember our TA saying $18 or so each in gratuities.

I presume with this that we will be restricted in the number of meals....someone earlier mentioned 4 on a 7 night cruise....which would equate to 8 on a 14 night cruise.

Hopefully this is the case. In any case, we will have fun and if I can book the restaurants in advance the that would be great.

If we hadn't had this package included then we would have mostly eaten in the dining room so it isn't a big deal.

Thanks everyone for their input....much appreciated.

SDP for 14 night cruise gives 6 meals:

Dining packages:

Sail Length Dining Package Nights

5-6 Nights 3

7-9 Nights 4

10-12 Nights 5

13-16 Nights 6

We have the UDP (Not SDP) for our Escape cruise next December, but if I understand correctly you can't use it at any restaurant that had a la carte pricing. So that means the only two places I can use it is Moderno Churasscaria & Teppanyaki, is that correct?

As KeithJenner said, Le Bistro, Cagney's, and La Cucina are still fully included in the UDP, even though they have switched to à la carte pricing on Escape (and soon fleetwide, reportedly). You can order one main dish per person and as much of everything else on the menu (appetizers, salads, desserts, etc.) as you like for no extra charge.

The other à la carte venues (sushi, Bayamo, tapas, Food Republic, etc.) are not included in the UDP but you are supposed to get a 25% discount off your total bill. Same for entertainment dining (Supper Club). But it seems that sometimes they give you the SDP price instead for these venues, which can often work out in your favor.

Supposedly, I think the SDP includes a la carte restaurants with an upcharge. I know from researching Breakaway that the sushi is $7 and ocean blue is $15. What that actually includes has been slightly more elusive.
It includes all you can eat, according to current reports.

As KeithJenner said, Le Bistro, Cagney's, and La Cucina are still fully included in the UDP, even though they have switched to à la carte pricing on Escape (and soon fleetwide, reportedly). You can order one main dish per person and as much of everything else on the menu (appetizers, salads, desserts, etc.) as you like for no extra charge.

The other à la carte venues (sushi, Bayamo, tapas, Food Republic, etc.) are not included in the UDP but you are supposed to get a 25% discount off your total bill. Same for entertainment dining (Supper Club). But it seems that sometimes they give you the SDP price instead for these venues, which can often work out in your favor.

Thank you for clearing it up for me. Of course with more than a year to go, and with the speed things seem to change, what's true today, may be quite different by next December.