Dubai

cwisleman

Two to three days should be plenty. The Four Seasons is terrific.

If you want to give yourself a special treat take and extra couple of days and go one hour outside of Dubai and stay at Al Masa. It's spectacular and will give you a desert experience unlike any other.

i took a ship twice in Dubai and had one arrival cruise terminal is not very special

i took the Address Downtown - was was superb but caused by the fact the currency is linked to the US dollar i could not consider it anymore ( + 30 % for Europeans ) - mind the extra service taxes and tourist tax

the service is outstanding - most by people from asian countries

Neos bar was special but try to go for happy hour otherwise the prices are terrible ( champagne was 39 € a glass )

so i booked the Shangri La and the day after the cruise the Meridien

if you want to take alcohol on board you must buy it in duty free on the airport

in Muscat port in Oman there is a very good duty free store

be also careful with medication - especially if a limited quantity of codeïne is involved (strictly forbidden )

careful with medication - especially if a limited quantity of codeïne is involved (strictly forbidden )

Yes, need to be careful with medication, but so long as you have prescription medication, a copy of your prescription, and a letter from you physician, no need to worry.

careful with medication - especially if a limited quantity of codeïne is involved (strictly forbidden )

Re meds, see thread entitled "Bringing Medications into Dubai" in the "Ports of Call/Africa-Middle East forum. So long as you have prescription meds, a prescription, and a letter from your doctor, you are good...

Edited by notjaded
Added info

cwisleman, I think the answer depends upon what you enjoy when you travel. We stayed at the The Palace Downtown Dubai, and, for us, it was the right decision. This is a hotel where you will see many people who are dressed in traditional clothing, and following local customs. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Dubai mall, Souk Al Bahar and Burj Khalifa.

Dubai has many different hotels, malls, souks, and there is the opportunity to experience Dubai of the past, as well as Dubai of the present. We wished we had stayed longer. We never made it to the beaches during the day. Our dhow cruise was simply a means of making it across Dubai Creek, and we only caught a glimpse of things we would have loved to have time to see. We never took a desert safari. We enjoyed every meal we ate, but would have loved to spend more time dining in the different restaurants.

I bought a couple of travel guides before our trip, and I'm glad I did as Dubai was not a place that I had really wanted to visit. By watching different youTube videos, reading the books I bought as well as checking out sites like the travel sites on the internet, and meeting some people who had been there, I changed my opinion. After cramming all that we could into three days, I'm very glad that I had the opportunity to experience different facets of Dubai. I'd also choose to stay in a variety of hotels so that it would be easier to experience each area.

Taxis are very reasonable. Alcohol is unbelievably expensive. When we were there, the Sheraton had a "happy hour" where some drinks were more reasonably priced. We ate lunch in the malls, and the food was excellent. Perfume shops in the malls have security guards, and look like they would be luxury jewellery shops.

If you prefer not to experience different cultures, then I would suggest limiting your time in Dubai. It is a country where you must follow their rules.

Mariners, thank you so much for the detailed information. I am planning to schedule Dubai with the Europa 2 for 2017, and will want to start my research soon. I find planning is half the fun!

did you notice there is no single port on that particular cruise ?

i am going to book it as well - did it twice with ports in Oman Jordan and Egypt...

in the malls you cannot walk hand in hand ( special announcements !!! ) or kiss your partner ...

did you notice there is no single port on that particular cruise ?

i am going to book it as well - did it twice with ports in Oman Jordan and Egypt...

in the malls you cannot walk hand in hand ( special announcements !!! ) or kiss your partner ...

No, I thought the ports would be the same as the 2016 voyage... Thanks for the info on public displays of affection. Looking forward to meeting you!