Any Tlingit Hertitage (Native Alaskan) tours?

fishman620

We are on a cruise ship in July 2016 and will visit Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. I am very curious to learn more about the Tlingit tribe because my grandmother is Tlingit. I wondering if there are any tours that you know of that would include information about the Tlingit Native Alaskans' heritage.

Check out Saxman Village near Ketchikan. It is an actual Tlingit village. They start with a great movie, visit to a clan house where there is native dancing then a visit to a carving shed. When we were there, there was a master carver working on a new totem.

I think most cruise lines have tours, but if not, you can go on your own. We went on our own and it was a $6 taxi each way. Because we were on our own, we got there a little early and talked with several village people in the Community House.

We are on a cruise ship in July 2016 and will visit Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. I am very curious to learn more about the Tlingit tribe because my grandmother is Tlingit. I wondering if there are any tours that you know of that would include information about the Tlingit Native Alaskans' heritage.

I took a tour in Ketchikan this past August with Joe Williams, a member of the Tlingits. The tour was through Princess. He was a great guide, and I learned a lot about the Tlingit culture. He has a Facebook page called

wheretheeaglewalks

If you Google it, you will see photos of his tour groups. He doesn't talk about the Tlingit culture on his Facebook page but about Ketchikan. You could post on his page and ask if he's doing tours for any of the ships in 2016 or how you could be on one of his tours if not.

Do you know if your grandmother is from the Raven or Eagle clan? Joe is from the Eagle clan and married to a woman from the Raven clan. He said Eagles are not supposed to marry another Eagle but should marry a Raven, and vice versa.

A link to my trip review of Alaska is in my signature. The day I was on the tour with Joe starts at post #40.

fishman620: Is your grandmother enrolled in Sealaska? Are you familiar with the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANSCA)? In any event, the Sealaska Corporation headquarters may have some interesting displays regarding their heritage, and if you contact them they may have information on specific cultural events. Also the Sealaska Heritage Institute in Juneau may be of interest.

The Alaska State Museum, in our state capitol of Juneau, is in the process of moving into the new SLAM facility (the state library, archives and museum will be consolidated into one facility). While they are presently closed due to this difficult move they hope to open in the spring of 2016. Quite frankly, I haven't heard any progress reports recently so don't know what problems they have been confronting.

Mimmy, I wanted to let you know that I contacted Joe Williams and he is going to take my husband and I on a private tour the day we get in port. I am so excited about this and to learn more about my Tlingit heritage! Thanks again.

Does he charge by the hour or the tour? How long will your tour last? What are his rates? Can you please provide his contact info? Thanks.

Mimmy, I wanted to let you know that I contacted Joe Williams and he is going to take my husband and I on a private tour the day we get in port. I am so excited about this and to learn more about my Tlingit heritage! Thanks again.

So glad you let me know. You will have a memorable time with Joe.

Does he charge by the hour or the tour? How long will your tour last? What are his rates? Can you please provide his contact info? Thanks.

He does group tours through some cruise lines. I did one through Princess. I think I paid only $35 for his walking tour of Ketchikan that took about an hour or 1 1/2 hours. There were about nine in our group, but I know there can be as many as 15 (and maybe more).