Otway Sound

WesternTrader

I wonder if a recent visitor to Otway Sound could confirm (or otherwise) whether the penguins have left. I have read somewhere that they had gone due to mining activity, but my internet searches have proved fruitless. We are travelling in January so they should still be there, but I'd be grateful for any further insight anyone can offer before booking tours.

Thank you

WT

I wonder if a recent visitor to Otway Sound could confirm (or otherwise) whether the penguins have left. I have read somewhere that they had gone due to mining activity, but my internet searches have proved fruitless. We are travelling in January so they should still be there, but I'd be grateful for any further insight anyone can offer before booking tours.

Thank you

WT

WT, we have a large group from our roll call that had booked an Otway Sound tour Christmas week. Our provider contacted us last week to tell us the facility is closed, most likely for the season. Pollutants from a mining operation have chased the penguins to a cleaner area, regretfully not a place tourists can reach.

Hopefully your cruise goes to other places to see penguins. There is also an island penguin tour, but it sometimes is canceled due to sea conditions.

WT, we have a large group from our roll call that had booked an Otway Sound tour Christmas week. Our provider contacted us last week to tell us the facility is closed, most likely for the season. Pollutants from a mining operation have chased the penguins to a cleaner area, regretfully not a place tourists can reach.

Hopefully your cruise goes to other places to see penguins. There is also an island penguin tour, but it sometimes is canceled due to sea conditions.

Thank you Startrain

I thought I had heard this and it’s very kind of you to confirm my suspicions…

Hopefully we’ll still get a chance to see them – I’m going to take a chance on the Magdalena Island trip with Solo Expediciones, but it’s interesting to note that Celebrity are still offering the “Penguins of Otway Sound” tour on the website…

Thanks again and enjoy your trip!

WT

Hello WT. We are scheduled to go to Otway Reserve in late January so after reading your post, I contacted NCL to ask if they were aware of this situation and they were not and unfortunately the other penguin excursions offered for this port are booked up. We booked this excursion as a backup in case we weren't able to make our stop at the Falklands Islands. Guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed for good weather.

Hello WT. We are scheduled to go to Otway Reserve in late January so after reading your post, I contacted NCL to ask if they were aware of this situation and they were not and unfortunately the other penguin excursions offered for this port are booked up. We booked this excursion as a backup in case we weren't able to make our stop at the Falklands Islands. Guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed for good weather.

Hello Ruth

By coincidence, I think we're in Punta Arenas on the same day (22nd)!

From my previous comment you will see that Celebrity also appear unaware that the penguins are no longer there - either that or they (or their tour operators) still want to sell the tours and have decided not to break cover until it's too late for passengers to make alternative arrangements...

Mindful that the weather sometimes prevents ships docking or tendering (and similarly to your plans), this excursion was our back up to Peurto Madryn where we hope to catch sight of a colony.

I am unable to recommend Solo Expediciones (as my previous note), but they (Sally) responded very quickly to my enquiry and at less than $90 were considerably cheaper than the same Magdalena Island trip offered by the cruise ship. Time will tell if this was a wise decision.

Enjoy your cruise

WT

Hello WT.

Yes, we are in Punta Arenas on the 22nd. After months of waiting and planning, I know we will certainly enjoy our cruise. Seeing the penguins in their natural environment would be a bonus.

Travel safe and have a wonderful trip.

Check with Solo Expediciones; I just booked a tour of Magdalena and Marta Islands with them out of Punta Arenas.

Penguins in Otway are gone. The people who went to Magdalena Island from our ship enjoyed it on the beautiful day we had, although it is a long ride out there. Solo Expediciones was completely booked ahead of time and had a long wait list.

Check with Solo Expediciones; I just booked a tour of Magdalena and Marta Islands with them out of Punta Arenas.

Phylliseis, is this something open or a private tour? We are on your same sailing (NCL Sun Jan 2 out of BA). If available for others, what is the cost per person? Thanks. (I do not have a facebook acct where I fear you have posted all of the info.) This is the closest to social media that I get!:o

We were just notified by the tour operator that the park was open again as of a couple of days ago and the penguins were back there.

Hopefully this is accurate although I have 2 backup plans just in case, both of which are better ports than Otway for penguins.

Has anyone been there in the past week to know what the up to date situation is?