NCL Star forward facing balconies

pixiestyx

Has anybody sailed in one of these before? Can you actually use your balcony while the ship is moving?

I've seen some pictures online and the door looks pretty scary!

Sadly, all the suites (unless you move up into a 2-bedroom which is silly for two people) are at the front or the back of the ship.

The aft rooms are quite small for a suite at only 280sq. ft or we'd move to the back.

I'm totally new to NCL and this layout baffles me.

Has anybody sailed in one of these before? Can you actually use your balcony while the ship is moving?

Sadly, all the suites (unless you move up into a 2-bedroom which is silly for two people) are at the front or the back of the ship.

The aft rooms are quite small for a suite at only 280sq. ft or we'd move to the back.

Not sure what cabins you are referring to here. We did two cruises on the Star and did a cabin crawl where we got to see many different cabins. One cabin was at the front of the ship. It was a suite and one side of the suite was in effect the windshield of the ship (no balcony). The rooms were nice, but frankly, I didn't care for a cabin like that.

I can't help you with the forward suites but nothing is wrong with the 2 bedroom suites for two. You can put 2 of the chairs in there, you have a place to take a nap in total darkness and a spare bathroom. Most of all you have plenty of room to spread out in and LOOK at the master bathroom. These are some of the nicest suites in the fleet.

We have used the forward facing cabins/suites for years. It can get windy when underway, but the wind barrier makes it just fine while sitting down. The doors are very easy to manage. It's a great view, same as the Captain has!! We certainly prefer them to the aft facing cabins.

To answer your question, yes you can use your balcony on deck 9 & 10 forward suites. The watertight door is not nearly as daunting as it appears.

The wind could be the issue. If you are lounging/sunning the wind is block out. If you are standing up it could be a bit windy depending on wind direction and ship speed.

Our favorite of those suites are #10000 and #10500.

To answer your question, yes you can use your balcony on deck 9 & 10 forward suites. The watertight door is not nearly as daunting as it appears.

The wind could be the issue. If you are lounging/sunning the wind is block out. If you are standing up it could be a bit windy depending on wind direction and ship speed.

Our favorite of those suites are #10000 and #10500.

Thanks for the info! We would just be sitting on our balcony so it sounds like that shouldn't be a problem.

We're in 9500.

The aft suites are not a lot smaller than the forward suites. Quiet area of the ship, and the view from those cabins is amazing. If you can secure the outside cabins, the deck wraps around to the side of the ship as well. Been in Owner's suites, Family suites, and forward suites, and if it is just the two of us, we like the aft penthouse suites the best.

AFT suites on Deck 10 are our preferred location - you have the lovely view of the wake and are shielded from the elements! A nice mix of sun/shade and we have even been sitting on the balcony when it was raining.......how cool is that~

The aft suites are not a lot smaller than the forward suites. Quiet area of the ship, and the view from those cabins is amazing. If you can secure the outside cabins, the deck wraps around to the side of the ship as well. Been in Owner's suites, Family suites, and forward suites, and if it is just the two of us, we like the aft penthouse suites the best.

The two reps on the phone said that the aft suites were 288sq. Ft of indoor space and the forward are 318 sq. ft. That seems like it would be a notice me difference in space.

Maybe they were mistaken? I wish it was easier to find the inside and balcony size separately.

The aft suites are not a lot smaller than the forward suites.

I have to disagree - I feel that the difference is significant, especially in the fwd center suites.

EDIT: If it wasn't clear, I always choose fwd suites before aft suites because of the huge balcony and the size.

Edited by Demonyte

The two reps on the phone said that the aft suites were 288sq. Ft of indoor space and the forward are 318 sq. ft. That seems like it would be a notice me difference in space.

Maybe they were mistaken? I wish it was easier to find the inside and balcony size separately.

That's about a foot longer and two feet wider per cabin. Hardly noticeable. The forward decks however are MUCH larger. But it's the view off that wrap around deck that's a clincher for us.

That's about a foot longer and two feet wider per cabin. Hardly noticeable. The forward decks however are MUCH larger. But it's the view off that wrap around deck that's a clincher for us.

Unless my math is off a difference of 30sq. ft. is closer to a difference of 6ft longer and 5ft wider, which I think would be noticeable.

The view from the back looks amazing, but we are the type that do spend time in our cabin (and balcony) so we are hesitant to give up that much room space.

If it really is only a difference of 1ftx2ft or so then that would be a non-issue.

Unless my math is off a difference of 30sq. ft. is closer to a difference of 6ft longer and 5ft wider, which I think would be noticeable.

The view from the back looks amazing, but we are the type that do spend time in our cabin (and balcony) so we are hesitant to give up that much room space.

If it really is only a difference of 1ftx2ft or so then that would be a non-issue.

I meant about 2 feet wider on each side. All of the suites are a little different in size, depending on deck and location.

I meant about 2 feet wider on each side. All of the suites are a little different in size, depending on deck and location.

I understand all the suites are a little different but according to NCL the general difference between forward and aft cabin space is approx. 30 sq ft.

That is more than about 2 ft on each side. That's closer to 5-6ft on each side, which I think would be noticeable.

But I'm starting to feel like I'm missing something here..

I understand all the suites are a little different but according to NCL the general difference between forward and aft cabin space is approx. 30 sq ft.

That is more than about 2 ft on each side. That's closer to 5-6ft on each side, which I think would be noticeable.

But I'm starting to feel like I'm missing something here..

I'll be honest, I never really noticed that much of a difference in the size, except for the balcony. That was on the Gem though. I still would rather have the aft view, even with a smaller cabin.

We have a forward penthouse on deck 10 on our upcoming cruise in Jan. It looks great. I have been in the owners suites before and the front balcony is fine if you are sitting or lounging. I was on an aft wrap a round on a different line and it was great also. Good luck and have a great cruise!

And here are a few of the Jewel Suite 8630, stern:

2069624100057127324GxAxJg_fs-S.jpg

2364179170057127324YkHawl_fs-S.jpg

2792848340057127324TRmrNn_fs-S.jpg

2810030280057127324bRDIHG_fs-S.jpg

A couple of things we liked and disliked about each:

Star: The balcony on the forward suite is huge, but not much of it is covered, so you can be exposed to the cabins and the bridge above, if that's important. It is definitely windy out on the deck, but as someone already said, when you are seated, you won't notice it that much. The view is fantastic! There is not as much light in the cabin because of that heavy door.

Jewel: The balcony, although not as deep, is wide, and there is a complete overhang so it's very private. The balcony is sheltered from the wind. Windows span almost the width of the cabin, letting in a lot of light. I can't think of one negative thing about the stern cabins. We always choose them if we can afford them (we have booked the same cabin for a 2017 cruise :D).

NCL measures their cabins including the deck/balcony. The interior of the cabins are the same fore and aft for the penthouses. The difference in sq. ft. is the size of the deck/balcony. The aft penthouses have a balcony the size of a balcony cabin or mini-suite. The forward penthouses have a large deck the width of the cabin, but about 10 ft. deep.

We have been in the Owner's Suite on the Star, Jewel and Pearl. We like the forward cabins on decks 9 and 10 that have the forward decks. We don't spend a lot of time on the deck while the ship is moving, though when we have it does depend entirely on the direction of the wind whether it is windy or not. The balcony railing does provide some protection from the wind when you are sitting down. Be advised that if you are on deck 10 you are entirely visible to the officers on the bridge when you are out on the deck; deck 9 has some visibility to the bridge if you are out toward the railing.

NCL measures their cabins including the deck/balcony. The interior of the cabins are the same fore and aft for the penthouses. The difference in sq. ft. is the size of the deck/balcony. The aft penthouses have a balcony the size of a balcony cabin or mini-suite. The forward penthouses have a large deck the width of the cabin, but about 10 ft. deep.

We have been in the Owner's Suite on the Star, Jewel and Pearl. We like the forward cabins on decks 9 and 10 that have the forward decks. We don't spend a lot of time on the deck while the ship is moving, though when we have it does depend entirely on the direction of the wind whether it is windy or not. The balcony railing does provide some protection from the wind when you are sitting down. Be advised that if you are on deck 10 you are entirely visible to the officers on the bridge when you are out on the deck; deck 9 has some visibility to the bridge if you are out toward the railing.

The aft suite decks are not as large as the forward suites but they are a lot bigger than the decks for the balcony and mini suite cabins.

Thanks for the info!

We're in 9500.

Please let us know what you think of the forward cabins. We are in 9500 and 9000 in mid-January. Also new to NCL and a little concerned about the cabin size, use of the balcony, and whether front of the ship is a rough ride.

Would also love current information about daily schedule—specifically what time the main daily entertainment is in the Stardust Theater. Posted pics of the Freestyle Daily would be awesome!