Internet Tip For Those Sailing To Mexico

debt

T-Mobile has a similar plan that includes free calls, texting and data within Canada and Mexico, plus they have free texting and data in tons of other countries.

Last year on the Dawn, we had free coverage in Mexico & Honduras. Belize doesn't let you roam.. you have to buy a local SIM card.

My daughter spent 10 days in Europe this past July, and she had free texting and data in France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and the UK.

It's definately worth having at least a GSM burner if you travel alot!

Verizon was telling me something similar for Mexico and one of the other islands - I think they said $8 but then she said oh no, your plan isn't one of those eligible. Go figure as we don't have a bare bones plan.

Verizon was telling me something similar for Mexico and one of the other islands - I think they said $8 but then she said oh no, your plan isn't one of those eligible. Go figure as we don't have a bare bones plan.

My wife needs to stay in contact with her ailing Dad, and usually does so by text. We are heading to Mexico in January on NCL Jewel. Will it cost her a fortune? We too are on Verizon. Any help on this topic would be great! Thanks!

One of my friends who has verizon just did a carnival cruise in October. He got a plan addon which allowed communication while on the ship.

This is what he sent me: $40 plan addon that gives you 100 minutes, 100 outbound texts and 100meg of data.

Edited by tombec1

One of my friends who has verizon just did a carnival cruise in October. He got a plan addon which allowed communication while on the ship.

This is what he sent me: $40 plan addon that gives you 100 minutes, 100 outbound texts and 100meg of data.

I appreciate the advice. We will look into it. :D

I checked my Verizon account since I'll be in Cozumel in a few weeks, and it offers me a Canada/Mexico plan for an additional $25/mo than includes something like 1GB data, 500 min voice, 500 sent texts and unlimited received texts. The thing I can't figure out is if I can add this plan, but then remove it later. Don't suppose anyone knows for sure?

(I know I should contact Verizon directly, and I likely will, just putting it out there.)

The thing I can't figure out is if I can add this plan, but then remove it later. Don't suppose anyone knows for sure?

(I know I should contact Verizon directly, and I likely will, just putting it out there.)

My friend added it about a week before his cruise left and took it off when he got back.

Metro PCS has a service that provides unlimited talk text and data in Mexico for a additional $5 per month. The catch is you have to have a plan with them for at least $40. :)

Rogers in Canada has a similar plan, called Roam Like Home. If you have a Share Everything plan (where your ipad, mifi device, home internet and cell phone all use the same pool of data allowance), you can for a daily fee of $5 per device per day in the US, or $10 per device per day in Latin America (ex. Falkland Islands), or Europe get unrestricted access to the same same allowance.

Max 10 days / month charged, so if you're using it for 30 days, 20 of them are free.

I appreciate the advice. We will look into it. :D

That would be the Cellular at Sea program and it also allows unlimited incoming texts. There is an $85 plan with 250 voice minutes, 250 outgoing/unlimited incoming texts, 250 gb (obviously only good on the ship).

Just to add...

Sprint includes free calling and text in Mexico as well as 1gb of data at no charge.

You have to log into your account and select Sprint Open World and turn on International Calling services. Both are a 0$ charge.

-Sean