Communication App

Playa Cofi

I called Celebrity and they do not have any type of "onboard messaging" package or App that allow you to communicate (text) other passengers without incurring a roaming/text fee.

Someone suggested "Whatsapp" which I downloaded yet later found this also would incur a fee if we used it onboard.

Does anyone know of another app we could use?

I do not know of any 'messaging' apps which do not require an OTA connection.

Walkie Talkies is currently the only option, as well it is possible that a Push n Talk phone, if there are many of those still around, would work.

The reason is, there is no way for your phone to know which phone it is to connect to besides a phone number. Not even Twitter can do it because the message has to go to their server in order to post, unless you take out an internet package, both parties, then Twitter can work.

Then again, besides just because, there should be no real need to IM while sailing... take a nice break and enjoy and explore and look for each other if doing different activities. Leave notes in the cabin or pre-plan meet-up times during the day... meals or cocktail times. This gives you an opportunity to really chat about the experience(s).

bon voyage...

Princess has an onboard intranet system that seems to work well. I am told it's for on ship contact and to check dailies, ship bd charges etc. Can't wait to try it on our first Princess cruise..

New CEO had mentioned new tech systems when she started....nothing new yet and the shoreside tech dept on X appears over their heads as it is!

Edited by hcat

Princess has an onboard intranet system that seems to work well. I am told it's for on ship contact and to check dailies, ship bd charges etc. Can't wait to try it on our first Princess cruise..

New CEO had mentioned new tech systems when she started....nothing new yet and the shoreside tech dept on X appears over their heads as it is!

Hi Hcat,

We were on Royal Princess last week. Good cruise, but not as good as the one last month. Some major MDR menu changes, and definitely not for the better. They removed the steak medallions and Salmon from their everyday menu, in favor of 3 Curtis Stone items. To put it nicely, the new chef offerings - which did not change during the cruise, were dreadful. Why Cruise lines, spend TONS of money aligning themselves with some "name" Chef, is totally beyond me. If it were my call ? I'd spend every penny of that $$$ on improving the menu, and not make some chef wealthy.

The Princess Intranet system was excellent - something Celebrity should definitely look into. Several great features, including messaging, an online daily Patter, and checking your onboard charges - with no fees.

As for the Internet itself ? It was terrible last cruise, and about the same this cruise. Amazing for such a relatively new ship. Way too expensive as well. For me, I must stay in touch with work, and that does not help me enjoy our cruise experience.

Overall, we had a very nice time, but Perry Grant makes the cruise for us. If he's not onboard ? I'm not so sure we will go back again. What can I say.... I'm very passionate about Celebrity. We saw EQ a few times during our cruise, and I always wished we were onboard her instead.

Edited by Host Andy

I called Celebrity and they do not have any type of "onboard messaging" package or App that allow you to communicate (text) other passengers without incurring a roaming/text fee.

Someone suggested "Whatsapp" which I downloaded yet later found this also would incur a fee if we used it onboard.

Does anyone know of another app we could use?

Vertizon has a great package: 100 minutes and 100 messages for $40. We used it last cruise and it covers all of our needs on the ship and land.