Venice

lojay

Need all the help i can get..

We are taking a side trip after our cruise that ends in Rome, we are taking the train to Venice and eventually flying back home from there.

Here are my questions

1. What hotel is close to the train station 4 or 5 star or should we plan on trying for one in the main part of the canal area

2. Two or three hotel suggestions (no smoking, nice, clean, 4 to 5 star

3. Should we stay out of the main area and commute in everyday (3 nights)

4. How long do you need at the airport for customs, etc

We are going in late June but I would like to book hotels now if at all possible.

Thank you for your suggestions:confused:

Just look down the page you'll find several posts about Venice hotels; lots of helpful info and links in those posts.

The star system in Europe isn't the same as the US, and hotels in Venice are different from what you'll find in the US. ie elevators and A/C are not the norm. Venice hotels are quite expensive.

Where to stay will depend on your budget, requirements, and ability to manage your luggage. If you've overpacked, you will find it difficult to get beyond the Venice train station. OTOH, pay for luggage storage at the station, take overnight bags with you, and you will have access to any and all areas of Venice. Venice is quite small .... you can easily walk or take a water bus from the train station to St Marks in under an hour. And different areas provide different experiences.

Many people choose to stay in Mestre, which is on the mainland before crossing the causeway into Venice. You get more for your money in Mestre, as in modernized hotels with all the conveniences. It's a 10-15 minute commute by bus or train, and under 3E. Since you're travelling by train you would disembark in Mestre instead of Venice.

My go-to site is http://www.veniceforvisitors.com

I've stayed at the Hotel Arlecchino which is near Piazzle Roma (not far from the train station). However it isn't a 4 star hotel. We stayed for 2 nights, had a canal view room, and did lots of walking. I would stay there again.

Transportation in general, is convenient to that location. Personally, I would stay in Venice to avoid spending extra time on transportation. As far as I know, the nicer hotels are near St Marks and not near the train station.

If you want to stay near the Santa Lucia train station AND in a 4-5 star hotel:

Start looking at venere dot com - a good site for European hotel searching.

Looking at Venice, drill down into your search by clicking on 4 and 5 star hotels, and the "Venice Santa Lucia Station" landmark and, if you want "Piazzelle Roma" landmark. Right now, you'll see 4 hotels with that criteria, but be aware that "near" can be up to .5 miles away. Then, ask people here on CC or over on that other Trip Advising site what they think of those hotels.

Usually, the tourist class hotels (the 2-3 stars) are found nearest the transportation hubs. If you want something truly upscale 4-5 stars, you have to further into the Venetian islands.

We have stayed twice in Venice, both times at a Marriott property using points.

First time was at the Courtyard near the airport, where we took the local bus in to catch the water buses.

The second time, we stayed at the Autograph hotel and took the water bus from the train station. This hotel was deep in a neighborhood so we got to explore more than when we stayed further out.

The points saved us big, especially when the Euro was a lot higher. And as others have noted, pack light! You will be hauling your luggage no matter where you stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I have stayed in Venice in early June at the Liassidi Palace Hotel around 5 minutes walk East from St Mark's Square. It is not near the train station but may meet your requirement of 4 star hotel. It was very nice and has a little courtyard outside area where drinks are served at a very reasonable price and is in a quiet area near local shops eg convenience store, pharmacy etc.

I would suggest staying in Venice to make the most of it and not in Mestre. If you are already in the centre then you can make the most of quiet mornings and evenings when Venice is particularly beautiful. Some of the nicest time was spent early or late in the day. You could of course do this even if you stay further away and I am sure you do get more for your money hotel wise if you stay slightly outside Venice as others have suggested.

If you have lots of luggage I would suggest a hotel near a water bus stop or with a private jetty for a water taxi, as we saw many people hauling heavy bags up and down numerous steps over many bridges.

As others have suggested look at suggested websites for more info.

Have a lovely time, Venice is beautiful.

Hi

I just saw this on the posts. We have been to Venice 4 times and actually have just returned. We always stay at very good B&B near San Marco Square. Actually, Eleonora ( B&B Al Teatro ) has 2 family homes that are now B&B's in the same area. Each with very good reviews. We have also stayed in Santa Margherita Guesthouse. This B&B is on the other side of the Grand Canal from San Marco Sq. It is also very highly rated. Both give you an excellent breakfast. Both are about 130.00 USD If you check on the later ask for the lower room - thus U will have no stairs. Any questions email us pcavera@mishoreline.com

Bev