Picton Private shore trip HELP/advice please!

Hi everyone,

I have booked and paid for a kayak trip and x 3 cove trips thru Shore Trips and Tours.

I had advice from the operator that passengers are no longer allowed to walk from the pier, but must catch the shuttle to town.

I am really nervous about meeting at the required time (8.30am), because I believe the ship will give shuttle priority to those booked thru the Ships own Shore Tours.

The operator said just to line up and basically push to the front and ignore that priority thing.

I am not a pusher and wonder if we won't make it to the meeting point I in time we would loose our $350.

Can anyone assure me that I am worrying for nothing? Otherwise I might cancel and have to go with the Ships Tours (but this will cost about double!!), blackmail by the ship with priority??? Is that a reality?

The reason that you need to catch their shuttle is that the cruise ships (or at least the ones that I have been on) dock at the timber wharf not the pier which is where the ferry to the North Island docks so you are a 5-10 minute bus ride from downtown. Even if you are one of the first off the ship getting there in time will be a tight fit (although it is only about 200m from where the bus drops you off at the information centre).

The general advantage for ships' tours is not the getting off but the guaranteed getting back in time. Having said that they will give priority to people doing their tours but that generally doesn't mean much.

The trick to enjoying the Picton stop is to get up early enough to see the sounds as you come in. That makes the whole thing worthwhile as there is not much in Picton itself.

The reason that you need to catch their shuttle is that the cruise ships (or at least the ones that I have been on) dock at the timber wharf not the pier which is where the ferry to the North Island docks so you are a 5-10 minute bus ride from downtown. Even if you are one of the first off the ship getting there in time will be a tight fit (although it is only about 200m from where the bus drops you off at the information centre).

The general advantage for ships' tours is not the getting off but the guaranteed getting back in time. Having said that they will give priority to people doing their tours but that generally doesn't mean much.

The trick to enjoying the Picton stop is to get up early enough to see the sounds as you come in. That makes the whole thing worthwhile as there is not much in Picton itself.

Thanks, yes that is why we decided to book a tour for Picton.

We booked morning tours so we would be back in time.

Ship is suppose to dock at 8am, but the Shore Trips and Tours said they won't wait for us if we are late as it is a local supplier....I used them because they make a guarantee on their website that all will be good in that regard but now I guess I better cancel

Edited by Sallyandtex

With the ship due to dock at 8am at the wharf where they load the timber, you cannot guarantee you will be at the wharf in town by 8.30am. I think in the past we had to get (free) tickets for the shuttle bus. Although the tours are taken off in groups, it does not mean other passengers have to wait until they are all off. Buses for the ship's tours will probably come onto the wharf so that will not slow down other passengers' disembarkation. However, simply getting off the ship, boarding a shuttle bus, waiting until it is full, driving into town and walking to the other wharf will probably take half an hour. And that assumes disembarkation starts at 8am. There is usually a 30 minute delay after arrival to get clearance. If the arrival is 8am with clearance 30 minutes later you cannot make the deadline for your tour. But sometimes I have noticed that if the cruiseline quotes 8am arrival, the ship actually ties up at 7.30 and is cleared at 8am, but no-one be sure whether it will be 8am, 8.05 or 8.15. Local authorities can sometimes cause a delay.

If your kayak tour was 9am I think you would be safe, but 8.30 could be risky. If the tour operator will allow you some lee-way past 8.30, you could be alright.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Many thanks,

I have contacted Shore Trips and Tours to ask for lee-way, or I need to cancel.

Shame, as their website "guarantees" no stress with this issue and is more expensive than booking directly with the local company.

Booking through the ship will always be more expensive than booking directly with a tour company. The ship has Shore Tours staff who have to be paid and accommodated on the ship. If you book with Shore Trips and Tours, then there would be no stress. If the ship is late, the tour will either go late or if the ship is extremely late, the tour could be cancelled.

If you are booking with a local tour company, they are the people you need to ask about lee-way for departure time. If it is strictly 8.30 I think you will have difficulty getting there in time. If they way that 9am is OK, then it could be worth trying it.

The Shore Trips and Tours have advised that the supplier will wait for the Kayak trip (that;s good news!), but said that the cruise ships are making it harder for the independent companies by changing times and places they dock.

So we have asked to cancel the Ship Cove Tour ): (Refund to follow.)

In the hope we can get aboard one "on-the-fly" when we disembark.

Any suggestions on another company that would be waiting at the dock for customers, a similar trip as the Cove one?

The problem with the one we had booked was that we had to meet in town.

Edited by Sallyandtex

Firstly I have to apologise that I misunderstood the term 'Shore Trips and Tours'. I thought you were referring to the cruiseship's Tour Excursions office, rather than a local company.

In Picton, to my knowledge, cruiseships have always docked at the timber wharf OR anchored off-shore and taken passengers ashore by tender. That is even slower. The ships have no say in where they will dock or tender - that is up to the port authority.

Time is always difficult. The ships' Bridge team do their utmost to dock on time because there are a lot of tours to get away as well as people with independent plans. And there is only one day in most ports. With Picton you have to keep in mind that the ship will have been in the Cook Strait that is notoriously rough. If that happens the ship might have to sail a bit slower for safety reasons.

In Picton I do not believe any independent tour operators would be allowed onto the timber wharf. It is a working wharf and it would not be safe to have buses and people moving everywhere. A kayak tour may not use buses at all. People taking part might have to meet near where they get into the water with the kayaks.

You may be able to get a tour on the day. :)

It seems to me that the independent tour company is being a bit strange with expecting you to be in a place at a time that is not realistic, as any experienced operator should know. Operators that deal with the cruise ship passengers will know exactly how quickly most people can get to the meeting place. Sounds like they want to hurry you up and be pushy to their advantage.

It sounds good that you have asked plenty of questions. I hope it all works out well for you on the day.:)

It seems to me that the independent tour company is being a bit strange with expecting you to be in a place at a time that is not realistic, as any experienced operator should know. Operators that deal with the cruise ship passengers will know exactly how quickly most people can get to the meeting place. Sounds like they want to hurry you up and be pushy to their advantage.

It sounds good that you have asked plenty of questions. I hope it all works out well for you on the day.:)

Thanks, yes I think the problem lies that they are an agent and you used to be able to walk from the ship to the meeting point. Now that jostling for shuttles is in the mix the time factor is a problem.

I might try Beachcomber tours, a suggestion from another post.

The company has offered full refund for the Cove tour, so I can't ask for more than that.

Am going to keep the kayak tour as apparently they will wait.

Just back from Diamond Princess and we docked at the timber wharf in Picton. The best view I had when we docked was seeing a great lo-o-ong line of shuttle buses waiting for us. A group from CC had a private tour booked and while on board we got an email from them telling us that things had changed and they were no longer allowed to pick up at the wharf. We had to catch the shuttle into town. No worry, we walked off the ship and straight onto a shuttle bus and were in town and meeting out tour provider in no time. There was a little mix up for some of us as the drop off point was around the corner from the Visitor information centre and we walked around the corner when our tour operator was waiting for us at the drop off point - it was sorted quickly, the drop off point and the Visitor Centre are minutes apart, and we were soon off.

There were literally dozens of tours available from the Visitor Information Centre. The local providers are absolutely tuned to the last shuttle bus and they get all their tours back on time. Our provider even though a small operator, had a back up plan in case something went wrong. This is their living and it is seasonal so they won't mess it up by being late back to the ship.

Thanks, yes I think the problem lies that they are an agent and you used to be able to walk from the ship to the meeting point. Now that jostling for shuttles is in the mix the time factor is a problem.

I might try Beachcomber tours, a suggestion from another post.

The company has offered full refund for the Cove tour, so I can't ask for more than that.

Am going to keep the kayak tour as apparently they will wait.

I am surprised that it sounds like the agent is blaming the 'new' arrangement where the ships dock at the timber wharf and shuttle buses are used. This arrrangement is not new. We have been to Picton twice and both times we docked at the timber wharf. These cruises were one to two years ago.

All sorted.

Refund given by Shore Trips and Tours for Cove Tour.:D

Sticking with Kayak tour as assured they will wait.

Might book beachcomber for the Cove Tour, or take chances on arrival.

Thanks everyone for your input. Love the wealth of knowledge you all contribute

on golden they would dock we have to wait till clearance is given and then we can go if we are on a tender then ship booked tours go to where they meet and then go on to tenders there are some tickets given to those not on a tour but i am guessing they are limited if no tender you just get off and go but time wise?? you maybe pushing it

on golden they would dock we have to wait till clearance is given and then we can go if we are on a tender then ship booked tours go to where they meet and then go on to tenders there are some tickets given to those not on a tour but i am guessing they are limited if no tender you just get off and go but time wise?? you maybe pushing it

On every cruiseship, no-one can go ashore onto a dock or onto a tender until the ship has official clearance. At Picton, cruiseships dock at the timber wharf and all passengers must go from the wharf by shuttle bus. From memory, we had to get tickets for the shuttle bus in the same way you do for a tender. The tickets are not limited, but you have to wait until your number is called. All of this makes for delay.:)

On every cruiseship, no-one can go ashore onto a dock or onto a tender until the ship has official clearance. At Picton, cruiseships dock at the timber wharf and all passengers must go from the wharf by shuttle bus. From memory, we had to get tickets for the shuttle bus in the same way you do for a tender. The tickets are not limited, but you have to wait until your number is called. All of this makes for delay.:)

yes i said that :-) though the shuttle buses at the ports i stopped at there were no free ones wellington $10 return 7.50 one way Dunedin $15 return @$10 one way , they would not be limited as such but only fit so many on one tender after a certain time no need for a tender ticket as all or most shore excursions would be off by 11am so our director said

Edited by Hawka

yes i said that :-) though the shuttle buses at the ports i stopped at there were no free ones wellington $10 return 7.50 one way Dunedin $15 return @$10 one way , they would not be limited as such but only fit so many on one tender after a certain time no need for a tender ticket as all or most shore excursions would be off by 11am so our director said

A major point with Picton is that, although it is not a tender port, everyone must go on a shuttle bus. From my recollection, we had to get bus tickets, we could not get off and go.

You will have to pay for a shuttle bus if it is taking you into town. The free shuttle buses are at ports where you are not allowed to walk on the wharf because it is a working wharf with trucks and front end loaders running around.

I made the comment about 'clearance' because that is every ship at every port, not just on the Golden. :) In a previous post I estimated how much time clearance, wait for shuttle bus, drive to town will take, but the unknown factor is how long clearance will take. It is usually 30 minutes, but on a recent cruise I think it took closer to 90 minutes. (It wasn't NZ) The poor Shore Excursions staff were just about tearing their hair out with the delay.

Edited by Aus Traveller

wellington you could walk into town as well as Tauranga they had an area where you could i am not 100% sure on Dunedin though to the little town near them

Wellington is a working one as is Dunedin . cool on clearances :) true all ships need to go through that and it cant be rushed no matter that we want it rushed

:) ouch on 90 minutes

Edited by Hawka

wellington you could walk into town as well as Tauranga they had an area where you could i am not 100% sure on Dunedin though to the little town near them

Wellington is a working one as is Dunedin . cool on clearances :) true all ships need to go through that and it cant be rushed no matter that we want it rushed

:) ouch on 90 minutes

As you say, you can walk at Wellington (the area where ships dock is not a commercial wharf). Mt Manganui (Tauranga) the same. At Port Chalmers (Dunedin) passengers can walk off the wharf but must keep to a specified area.

As you say, you can walk at Wellington (the area where ships dock is not a commercial wharf). Mt Manganui (Tauranga) the same. At Port Chalmers (Dunedin) passengers can walk off the wharf but must keep to a specified area.

oh i thought it was ?? had all those containers etc on it i don't know the diff sorry Dunedin had lots of logs on it too , thought was same too but guessing now it must depend on more if you can walk out of that area or not etc [sorry that part i got no idea ] is picton different again ??

oh i thought it was ?? had all those containers etc on it i don't know the diff sorry Dunedin had lots of logs on it too , thought was same too but guessing now it must depend on more if you can walk out of that area or not etc [sorry that part i got no idea ] is picton different again ??

Yes, Picton is different, and Picton is what the OP was asking about. :) All passengers must use the shuttle bus from the ship to get off the wharf.

On some wharves like Port Chalmers and Wellington, passengers are kept away from the active 'industrial port'. Another port where passengers have to use a shuttle bus to get off the wharf is Napier. Because the cruiseline does not want people queueing in the sun waiting to get on a bus, they operate a ticket system like tender tickets.:)

Edited by Aus Traveller

Yes, Picton is different, and Picton is what the OP was asking about. :) All passengers must use the shuttle bus from the ship to get off the wharf.

On some wharves like Port Chalmers and Wellington, passengers are kept away from the active 'industrial port'. Another port where passengers have to use a shuttle bus to get off the wharf is Napier. Because the cruiseline does not want people queueing in the sun waiting to get on a bus, they operate a ticket system like tender tickets.:)

cool thanks :)