Which island would you skip if you wanted a day at the pool?

tstank

We are cruising on the Serenade of the Seas in Febraury 2006. The cruise stops in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados and one day at sea. If you were looking to stay one additional day on the ship to relax which island would you not miss as much as the others. We have not been to any of these islands. Any suggestions would be great.

We have been to all of those except Barbados... I wouldn't have missed any one of them. If you plan on cruising often... St Thomas is a common port... so you would have a chance of going there again if you skipped it. But, with that said... there is so much to see there... and so many options for muiltiple visits. you have a great itinerary. I wouldn't skip any ports... but that is just me.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skip st. thomas

Reasons:

Nice view of things to watch while in Port

Least exotic or different

Right alongshide shopping village -easy to walk off for 1/2 hr

As suggested - included as a stop on a great may other itineries.

P.S. It's nice to have an uncrowded pool deck to relax while others are ashore..:rolleyes:

I would skip St. Thomas, too. I love it, but I've been there on all four cruises we've gone on.

In St. Lucia and Antigua, definitely go to the beaches or sight-see. The shopping near the port in Antigua leaves a lot to be desired. We went to the beach at Choc Bay in St. Lucia, where one of the Sandals resorts is located. Worst beach I've ever been to in the Caribbean - smelly, green water with lots of trash on the beach. Others said they went to great beaches and it was their favorite island, so do your homework!

I love to visit the ports. I would not skip any of them especially if I had been to that islands. Besides, you can always visit the ports for a couple of hours and still have enough time to lay out by the pool. Sunning by a pool you can do anywhere!

I love to visit the ports. I would not skip any of them especially if I had been to that islands. Besides, you can always visit the ports for a couple of hours and still have enough time to lay out by the pool. Sunning by a pool you can do anywhere!

I totally agree....pools are everywhere, but beautiful beaches aren't. As for me, I'd rather be at a tropical beach drinking a foo-foo drink than at the ship's pool doing the same thing. :)

I would say St. Thomas.

We usually get off for an hour or so and shop, then head back to the ship to climb the rockwall if it's open. We usually use the gym that day too and then relax by the pool until dinner. It ends up being a very relaxing day for us.

Bobbie

I would say St. Maarten. You can do a quick shopping tour of the village if you want, won't take too long. I'm not a shopper, so I'd probably just stay pool side.

In St. Thomas, I'd go to St. John. Takes some time, but it is absolutely worth the trip.

Alternatively, my wife thought Magen's Bay was beautiful, although the facilities weren't quite as nice.

Don't skip St Thomas IF (and only if) you are going to take the ferry to St John. Cinnamon Bay was beautiful!!! St Martin has been my least favorite. We have been there twice and will be there again in December...we are taking the ferry to St Barts instead of staying there. We will be on the same ship and itinerary as you, for the second time in December, and are still getting off at every port. (oooops, no St Thomas as that will be Christmas day and we are staying at sea.)

That's pretty much how I feel.:D

I would probably skip St. Maarten - but I just personally didn't like the spot. It is a port that you could get off the boat early and take a tour of the island, do some shopping, and still be able to go back and have the pool to yourself for a while.

I have to say, I have never skipped a port on any cruise. Though I am not a lay by the pool (or beach for that matter) person, like others said, pools are a dime a dozen. And I can nap at home. :-) But if pressed, I too would skip St. Thomas unless there was enough time to go to either St. John or best of all, a trip to the Baths at Virgin Gorda. When I went to St. Thomas for a week, one day trip we did took us by boat to the Baths and the caves at Norman Island, where you can snorkel into the caves. Very cool. That took a whole day however and it's a trip I'd not want to do unless it was a ship excursion as there is too much margin for error (ie missing the ship!)

In Barbados I went on the Tiami catamaran trip and it was absolutely the best excursion of it's kind I have ever been on. You snorkel over a wrecked ship, which is awesone and later snorkel with giant sea turtles. That is indescribable......when they swim up to you and look you in the eye you'll never forget it.

And the crew was very impressive in their attention to detail and joy in their work. I went on a "luxury catamaran" cruise (Capt. Yanni's) out of Union Island to the Tobago Keys a few days earlier.....talk about night and day! A dumpy, ill-cared for ship, grumpy disinterested crew, scant food and a noisy stinky diesel made for a pretty poor experience. Fortunately the absolutely stunning scenery and passengers still made it a memorable trip.

Hope this info helps.

Gail

Archived