Palm Court Jazz Cafe

kruzseeka

We are visiting NO on our cruise and have an over night stay there. Our cruise line offers an evening trip to The Palm Court Jazz Cafe which includes an evening meal (possibly a set meal for a group booking?). I've read reviews and often the food is rated as 'average' but the ambience, venue and jazz seem to be rated well.

We are keen to experience some jazz - more concerned about that than the food really - as we can eat out and sample food specialitiies around the city at other times during our stay. The cost is £85 p.p. (approx $125) which we are happy to go along with if that seems like a good choice.

We want to take advantage of our time in NO so want to go off the ship during the evening but as we don't know the city wonder whether going on an organised excursion is the best idea for us - from a security and convenience point of view rather than DiY approach (we're happy to explore independently during the day). Incidentally, we're there during the Jazz Festival so guess there may be plenty going on in the city apart from the Festival Venue itself.

Any views/advice please?

The food at Palm Court is nothing to write home about, but it is one of the few places here that offers traditional New Orleans jazz,and is very comfortable.

$125 seems pretty pricey. The entrees at Palm Court are mostly in the mid-$20's, and it would be about a $10 cab ride from the cruise terminal, or you could ride the riverfront trolley for $1.25. There is a stop very close to the cruise terminal. Or you could walk, about 15 blocks. There is lots of traffic in the area, so safety is not a problem.

There are lots of people here for JazzFest so if you decide to go to Palm Court, make reservations.

Yikes, no, wouldn't be anything I would ever consider. :)

True jazz can't be beat at Preservation Hall. Yep, you may have to stand- but no purer music. IF you want a nicer setting, and no "drink" minimums, I like Snug Harbor and Mid City Rock and Bowl.

Check out schedules with Off Beat, should be some youtube music to see if the style fits you.

Alternatively- if you want some mix, just walk down Bourbon St. (I always enjoy a stop for a set of Big Al Carson) and see what is of interest. For a less perhaps rowdy pace, do the same on Frenchman- the Spotted Cat is a stop for me. :)