How many nights in Dubai pre-cruise?

whystayhome

We are planning 20 days on the Sojourn, starting in Dubai in May. If we arrive in the evening two days before, giving us the whole next day to tour around before embarking the following afternoon, will that be enough time to get a reasonable overview of the city? Or will we be wringing our hands over all the things we missed seeing before boarding the ship? Thanks for your advice. Linda

Having been to Dubai many times (not for a couple of years) for a week or more at a time, there are certainly many things to do to fill up a few days, for example to do on overnight desert safari requires 2 days. Then there is Burj Kalifa light and fountain show at dusk, Atlantis Palms, the Souks, malls and Dubai museum. We stayed Radisson Blue Diera for a week once and found it very interesting. Taxis are cheap but the traffic is horrendous so nothing is fast to do.

Dubai is one of those places you may like and be able to enjoy for a few days or be happy to treat as a short stay destination. We travel to Europe, usually via Dubai because of the flight availability, at least once a year. We stayed 2 days on one trip and are now happy to just transit there i.e. Get the next connecting flight. I'm sure we haven't seen all there is to offer, but even after talking to friends who enjoy it more than we did, don't see the point of staying longer.

I'd add another day on top of what you are considering.

Keith

A new development: United just announced the cancellation of its nonstop from Dulles to Dubai because of a loss of government subsidies It will now take us 20+ hours to get there, with no reasonable way to use FF miles that I can find to loll around in business. (I do not have JetBlue or Emirates miles, the only remaining option). My husband is not happy about this and we have put the trip on hold for now. Really disappointed, but I can't see spending more for a one-way business ticket to Dubai than it is costing us to enjoy 20 days on Seabourn!

You might want to inquire about Seabourn business class air. Frequently, we have found them to be less expensive than airfare we can book on our own and it includes private car service to the hotel. However, the Seabourn hotel in Dubai, the Intercontinental, was not the best location.

By the way, we are on the same cruise that you are planning, and we are in J on the AC flight. We will be in Dubai for four nights, three full days before the cruise departure date. We wanted more time on the ground for two reasons:

1. Get over jet lag

2. Not only see Dubai, but also the surrounding countryside.

Edited by notjaded

A new development: United just announced the cancellation of its nonstop from Dulles to Dubai ...Really disappointed, but I can't see spending more for a one-way business ticket to Dubai than it is costing us to enjoy 20 days on Seabourn!

I'm curious: Did you have confirmed/booked Award seats on UA? If so, did UA just cancel your flight or did they give you rebooking options on another airline? I see Award inventory through both Cairo and Addis Ababa.

Edited by notjaded

If you need help using your miles, please let me know. I have someone I can refer you to.

Thank you all for your help. I figured it out. We are using American miles and flying through London. I didn't see the Cairo flight. I was considering the flight on Ethiopian Airlines, but it was 20+ hours with the layover, 4 additional hours of flying, more miles than American wanted, and from what I understand, they don't have lie-flat seats in business. In the grand scheme of things, of course, this was a trivial problem, but...Linda

I'm curious: Did you have confirmed/booked Award seats on UA? If so, did UA just cancel your flight or did they give you rebooking options on another airline? I see Award inventory through both Cairo and Addis Ababa.

The flights were there at night and gone the next morning. I called United and the agent told me they were simply sold out of award tickets and I had missed my chance. That evening, one of the frequent flyer blogs I follow reported that United had lost its US government subsidy for nonstop flights to Dubai to Jet Blue [fronting for Emirates] and had therefore cancelled the daily nonstop flight just that day. I guess the telephone agents were left out of the loop! Linda

That evening, one of the frequent flyer blogs I follow reported that United had lost its US government subsidy for nonstop flights to Dubai to Jet Blue [fronting for Emirates] and had therefore cancelled the daily nonstop flight just that day. I guess the telephone agents were left out of the loop! Linda

It wasn't a subsidy they lost. They lost the annual competition for the GSA contract for US government funded air travel to Dubai. Service ends 1/23/2016.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2015/12/09/united-will-drop-washington-dubai-service-as-agency-puts-federal-workers-on-emirates-flights/

Those contracts are awarded purely on price, meaning that shifting to a Jet Blue codeshare operated by Emirates results in a savings to the US taxpayer. UA's (and DL's, who had already cancelled DXB service) gripe is they can't compete with the gulf carriers.

Edited by scm

It wasn't a subsidy they lost. They lost the annual competition for the GSA contract for US government funded air travel to Dubai. Service ends 1/23/2016.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2015/12/09/united-will-drop-washington-dubai-service-as-agency-puts-federal-workers-on-emirates-flights/

Those contracts are awarded purely on price, meaning that shifting to a Jet Blue codeshare operated by Emirates results in a savings to the US taxpayer. UA's (and DL's, who had already cancelled DXB service) gripe is they can't compete with the gulf carriers.

True. Not quite a subsidy, but a definite advantage to the airline to have the guaranteed government business. I believe the American lines argue that the Gulf carriers are subsidized by their governments so they need a similar advantage/subsidy. Then there is the argument: why is the U.S. Government paying for federal workers to fly on Emirates planes, even if Jet Blue is the putative airline being booked? And, of course, why haven't I been collecting Jet Blue miles?

Then there is the argument: why is the U.S. Government paying for federal workers to fly on Emirates planes, even if Jet Blue is the putative airline being booked?

The law says that the only portion that has to be on US ticket stock is the over water portion - not all the way to the destination. Plus, codeshares have been on non-US carriers for decades. AA had several city pair contracts to Seoul when they have never flown there -- all were on Asiana metal, but AA flight numbers.

Frankly, as a taxpayer, I want the fares to be the lowest possible and could care less who operates the a/c as long as it is done safely. After KAL's string of accidents in the 80s, the USG stopped letting any US gov't business be flown on KAL, no matter whose flight number was on it. Don't see that being a problem -- heck, bet the service on Emirates is better than on UA at lower fares. Win - win.

The law says that the only portion that has to be on US ticket stock is the over water portion - not all the way to the destination. Plus, codeshares have been on non-US carriers for decades. AA had several city pair contracts to Seoul when they have never flown there -- all were on Asiana metal, but AA flight numbers.

Frankly, as a taxpayer, I want the fares to be the lowest possible and could care less who operates the a/c as long as it is done safely. After KAL's string of accidents in the 80s, the USG stopped letting any US gov't business be flown on KAL, no matter whose flight number was on it. Don't see that being a problem -- heck, bet the service on Emirates is better than on UA at lower fares. Win - win.

No argument. It was just disappointing that the day I went to book my tickets, they cancelled the nonstop flight and I couldn't use my United miles [plus $5.60] to get there. Instead, I used American miles which I really need to save for the Antarctica cruise transportation.

I generally restrict my browsing to One Mile At A Time, Million Mile Secrets, and View From the Wing. Don't know if I want to expand...

Within the Boarding Area family (which - full disclosure - I'm also a part of as are One Mile at a Time and View From the Wing), my friend Andy - at Andy's Travel Blog has a lot of Middle East carrier content this week with fabulous photos. http://www.andystravelblog.com