Chefs Table - Allergy question...

BTwurddle

We are booked on an upcoming Rhapsody cruise and I would love to try the chefs table experience on RCCL, however my DH, (GOD bless him for indulging me) has a terrible allergy to saltwater shellfish. It's only a contact allergy but still severe. (it only affects him if he actually consumes shellfish or it comes it contact with his lips or mouth) Does anyone have experience with this or has anyone seen anyone else as a guest at the chefs table with an allergy? I dont expect them to alter the menu in any way but would they offer him an alternative course or plate for any course that otherwise contains shellfish? Naturally I will be letting our concierge know a week or two before we sail, I was just wondering if anyone had experience or could advise... Thanks and happy cruising everyone!

We are booked on an upcoming Rhapsody cruise and I would love to try the chefs table experience on RCCL, however my DH, (GOD bless him for indulging me) has a terrible allergy to saltwater shellfish. It's only a contact allergy but still severe. (it only affects him if he actually consumes shellfish or it comes it contact with his lips or mouth) Does anyone have experience with this or has anyone seen anyone else as a guest at the chefs table with an allergy? I dont expect them to alter the menu in any way but would they offer him an alternative course or plate for any course that otherwise contains shellfish? Naturally I will be letting our concierge know a week or two before we sail, I was just wondering if anyone had experience or could advise... Thanks and happy cruising everyone!

On our last Chef's table, one of the patrons did not eat seafood and was partially accommodated with some substitute dishes. Maybe someone can chime in as far as who to contact to arrange something like that.

I too am allergic to shrimp. On your reservation there is a place where it ask you about any allergies. I have filled this in and on the ship the staff is aware of it and confirm it with me. Although not at the Chefs table dinner, once in the main dining room I asked about shrimp being used as a filler in crab cakes. My server went to the kitchen, spoke to the chef about it and the chef personally made me fresh crab cakes to ensure there was no shrimp in them.

RCCL does not want anyone to have a allergy or medical problem if at all possible while on the ship and will do what ever they can to ensure you are accommodated.

I too have a shellfish allergy. I note it on my reservation but I also let the waiter know and ask to speak to the Head Waiter. I am given a menu at dinner for the next night and the Head Waiter goes over what I can eat! I have been to the Chef's Table a few times! I love the experience. If the dish contains shellfish, the chef prepares something different for me! RCI really cares and tries to accommodate but do not take it for granted! Ask, ask, ask, and ask before you eat something that might contain an allergen!

Diane

Edited by DianeMMHH