Funchal At New Year.

Merry Maid

I understand that there will be at least 4 boats in Funchal for the New Year fireworks. It is some years since I was at Funchal and I can't remember how big the berth is there. Does anyone know if there is enough room for 4 vessels to get alongside?

MM

I understand that there will be at least 4 boats in Funchal for the New Year fireworks. It is some years since I was at Funchal and I can't remember how big the berth is there. Does anyone know if there is enough room for 4 vessels to get alongside?

MM

the Funchal breakwater can accommodate at least 3 ships depending on size while there are other berths on opposite side of harbour. QE is only ship in according to Madeira Ports on 30th December while there are several on 31st. In 2012 we berthed alongside and then mid pm swapped with a P & O ship and went to anchor in the bay which is the best place to see the fireworks.

hi there

looking at my pre-voyage documentation - it states that QE will be an Anchor Port in Madeira - so looks like we are tendering in :-)

jane x

the Madeira ports website has QE alongside while the Cunard website has her at anchor only on Jan 1st, I suspect we will repeat what has happened previously, that is go to anchor Pm on the 31st which is the best place to see the fireworks

hi there

looking at my pre-voyage documentation - it states that QE will be an Anchor Port in Madeira - so looks like we are tendering in :-)

jane x

Ours have us "possible anchor" on the 1st but no mention of anchoring for 30/31st which we have taken to mean we may get pushed off the berth for the fireworks and overnight before we sail.

Last there some years ago on P&O so the fireworks may be even better than then!

Edited by jo-b

Hi Ray,

I've got QE, Oceana, MSC Opera and Marco Polo. What were the other three?

J

AIDAblu, Black Watch, Magellan, Marco Polo, Mein Schiff 4, Oceana, and Thomson Majesty. As per the website mentioned by Fifer which incidentally doesn't mention the QE on that day but I think it is a two-nighter from 30th December? So that would make eight ships.

Edited by Ray66

AIDAblu, Black Watch, Magellan, Marco Polo, Mein Schiff 4, Oceana, and Thomson Majesty. As per the website mentioned by Fifer which incidentally doesn't mention the QE on that day but I think it is a two-nighter from 30th December? So that would make eight ships.

Stone me - my camera's going to be busy!

Yes, we have a two nighter in Funchal 30/31st and 31st/1st.

J

Jimmy,

MSC Opera? There is a list here - http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingfunchalmadeira-31dec2015.html

G

Yup - I've got Opera arriving on 29 Dec 15 at 0900hrs and sailing on 30 Dec 15 at 1400hrs. So she misses the date range on the Funchal site.

Info is from Cruise TT

http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/MSC_Cruises/MSC_Opera/December_2015/

J

Ours have us "possible anchor" on the 1st but no mention of anchoring for 30/31st which we have taken to mean we may get pushed off the berth for the fireworks and overnight before we sail.

Last there some years ago on P&O so the fireworks may be even better than then!

I'm sooo looking forward to NYE and all the fireworks!! :D All the youtube vidoes just look amazing!

xxx

• 2 weeks later...
Funchal webcam showing some of the eight ships. The QE has been moved from dockside yesterday to anchor today

http://www.madeira-web.com/camera/cam-03.html

http://www.madeira-web.com/camera/cam-01.html

Marine traffic website is showing Saga Pearl ll also.

We now have:

On the berths - Oceana, Thomson Majesty, Black Watch, and AIDABlu

Anchored - Magellan, Saga Pearl II, QE, Mein Schiff 4, and Marco Polo

Joining the fleet later - AIDAsol, and Balmoral

Quite a turnout. The weather earlier was absolutely dire with heavy rain and minimum visibility but it's cleared now and there's a lot of sun around. Hopefully it will stay that way for the fireworks.

J

Hello, Saddo here has been watching the Funchal web cams. It is alas raining and really quite windy. I still wish though that I could be there though. If my maths are correct, I estimate about 18,770 passengers will enjoy the fireworks. Maybe I can persuade my wife next year on Queen Victoria.

Rodger.

OK folks, here are New Year photographs of the entire line-up all photographed in Funchal today. This is part one - part two will be a further three images.

AIDAsol and Balmoral aren't here yet and, as it is now dark, they will just have to be party poopers as far as photography goes.

J

Oceana

M01A2735_oceana_zpsp1in8srw.jpg

Thomson Majesty

M01A2712_thomson_majesty_zps8tvbxkmq.jpg

Black Watch

M01A2734_black_watch_zpsa2wkhros.jpg

AIDAblu

M01A2701_aidablu_zpsl3wmyv1h.jpg

Magellan

IMG_0997_magellan_zpsgojzjhcc.jpg

Saga Pearl II

M01A2769_saga_pearl_ii_zpsvhhovzpa.jpg

Hello Cruachan. These are absolutely brilliant photographs thank you very much. At the risk of repeating myself I wish we were there with you.I am so sorry the weather is not being kind to you. I look forward to tomorrow when hopefully you will have sobered up enough to post more. Enjoy the night.

Rodger.