Is the service on Star getting any better?

Lostinrockford

Just got off the Star on Sunday. Was my first NCL cruise and like you, was a little anxious about all the issues surrounding the ship but decided to go in with an open mind. I must say, it was probably the best cruise I have taken yet (after a couple with RCI), so much so I purchased an FCC onboard.

The ship was spotless, crew very friendly and efficient, food excellent and lots of activities going on. I couldn't have been more pleased. The wait for bar service was really no worse than any other cruise I've taken and the staff was working very hard.

Norwegian Star turned someone who was previously loyal to Royal, so take that for what it's worth!

Just got off the Star on Sunday. Was my first NCL cruise and like you, was a little anxious about all the issues surrounding the ship but decided to go in with an open mind. I must say, it was probably the best cruise I have taken yet (after a couple with RCI), so much so I purchased an FCC onboard.

The ship was spotless, crew very friendly and efficient, food excellent and lots of activities going on. I couldn't have been more pleased. The wait for bar service was really no worse than any other cruise I've taken and the staff was working very hard.

Norwegian Star turned someone who was previously loyal to Royal, so take that for what it's worth!

Will be on the Star in 19 days. Glad you enjoyed your cruise and that you found NCL to be your kind of line. You'll be platinum in no time. If you try a suite, that will really do it.

This is our 1st NCL Cruise and reading through these forums, I see a lot of unhappy customers, especially concerning bar and restaurant service. Are things getting any better? We sail on January 17th.

Of all the ships I've ever sailed on the Star was the worst, I wouldn't sail on it again and i was in a suite. I am going on the Jewel next month so I'm giving NCL a second chance. The ship was dirty, the food was okay , nothing great and the concierge? What concierge? Wasn't told what the suite perks were and missed out on some of them because of it. Now I'm wiser and willing to try a different NCL ship.

Of all the ships I've ever sailed on the Star was the worst, I wouldn't sail on it again and i was in a suite. I am going on the Jewel next month so I'm giving NCL a second chance. The ship was dirty, the food was okay , nothing great and the concierge? What concierge? Wasn't told what the suite perks were and missed out on some of them because of it. Now I'm wiser and willing to try a different NCL ship.

When was your cruise on the Star?

Everyone has different tastes and different expectations. I wouldn't worry about what you read just experience it for yourself and you decide.

Getting caught up in the little things will make your cruise miserable.

Everyone has different tastes and different expectations. I wouldn't worry about what you read just experience it for yourself and you decide.

Getting caught up in the little things will make your cruise miserable.

Most of the ship was fine. I did notice that there was an area on deck 7 that wasn’t kept too clean plus for whatever reason the elevators never seemed clean. The rest of the ship was fine.

Concierge? Never had one of them btu if I was entitled to those perks I’d make sure I read up about them beforehand and use them as suited my purpose. Seems much easier than bitching about it afterwards.

I had a great time on my cruise in November.

Just got off the Star this past Sunday as well. We had a blast. The service was great! The ship was clean. It was well maintained. They were cleaning and painting the entire time we were there.

There were many activities to do on the ship. It's a older ship, so don't expect huge elaborate pools, rock climbing walls, many shops etc. It's similar to many ships built in the late nineties and early 2000's. There was always something going on.

As to bar service... if you sit and wait for the alcohol to come to you, then it probably will be slower. Hint... tip the staff a dollar or two; despite the daily service charge. There were never huge lines... and as a previous poster stated, they were similar to other cruise lines that we have sailed with. For the size of the ship, there is something like 12 bars... so if you have a hard time finding a drink... it's on you. Don't worry about it.

The food was good. Everything we ate tasted good. Of course that's a personal thing. I thought it was better than Royal and Celebrity, believe it or not.

We have sailed Disney, Royal, Celebrity and now NCL. We were very impressed with our experience with NCL, and will be back to sail with them in the future.

Edited by DreamingBig1

We also got off on Sunday and have to agree with the other posters that the service was great. We're big fans of the Celebrity service and I'd have to say that the service this cruise was pretty much on a par with Celebrity. The crew were all really friendly and smiley so no real complaints from us.

We only had a slightly slower service in Aqua on embarkation day but apart from that restaurant service (we mainly ate in Versailles was great.

Got off the Star on Sunday as well and had no issues. Everything was fine, bars were busy the fist 2 days and then it was like a normal wait at your local bar. Walked up many times and was able to order and have a drink in a minute. Staff was friendly and helpful, all seemed happy. Cabin Stewart was great and had thing neatly cleaned and made up in minutes. Over all we enjoyed the cruise, friends we made at the meet and greet were great.

Did you book the cruise yourself on NCL? And even if you did..you should have found the suite perks listed. We are going on our first NCL cruise on th Star Jan 3 and trust me, I know everything there is to know about the suite perks etc... I booked directly with NCL so I would have no one to blame but myself if I wasn't aware of the perks. They are posted all over the NCL website. That's all I got to say about that.

Glad to hear things seemed to have improved on the Star. We are taking our first NRL cruise on the Star on 1/10/16 and I must say I was getting worried. Thanks to those that took time to post up their views.

Join our meet and greet and slot pull for the Star sailing Jan 10th.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169450

We have taken many NCL cruises, but never on the Star, or been to the ports we are sailing to.

We were getting Concerned about the problems with the ship too, but are happy to see a

Change for the positive. The last few reviews were more like we expect from NCL.

Can't wait for our time on the Star- thanks for the updates

Safe sailing

Join our meet and greet and slot pull for the Star sailing Jan 10th.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169450

We have taken many NCL cruises, but never on the Star, or been to the ports we are sailing to.

We were getting Concerned about the problems with the ship too, but are happy to see a

Change for the positive. The last few reviews were more like we expect from NCL.

Can't wait for our time on the Star- thanks for the updates

Safe sailing

Thanks for the invite but we'll pass.

Opinions about ships, food and service will always have a wide spectrum. I don't think it has improved because I don't think it was ever "bad." We sailed a TA over a year ago and it was great then. There is a tendency to complain more than praise and reading these posts can at times give a negative impression about many ships. A good cruise starts with a positive attitude.

Opinions about ships, food and service will always have a wide spectrum. I don't think it has improved because I don't think it was ever "bad." We sailed a TA over a year ago and it was great then. There is a tendency to complain more than praise and reading these posts can at times give a negative impression about many ships. A good cruise starts with a positive attitude.

Just got off the Star yesterday and couldn't agree more with the post above. Had wonderful food and service and an very enjoyable cruise experience.

Okay, i'm scared now...I have been following these boards for over 350 days for the NCL Star..I want to have you confirm that you had no idea going in that you had the concierge/butler services available? Was this your first NCL Cruise in a suite? My family is going on our first NCL cruise as well as our first suite experience. I have been on the websites/NCL boards ever since I booked this $8000 trip. You bet I have tried to see what is available. Food is subjective so I don't put a lot of thought in that. If your whole complaint is because you didn't know the concierge or the suite perks...those things are avaiable all the time on the NCL website if you want to look for it. Normally I don't like the negative statements on this board, but I really don't see where any of your complaints are due to NCL.....

Interesting that the negative 12/15 message from cruzsnooze and the negative 12/22 message from piscesforlife are identical. Makes one wonder...

I don't understand how someone can sail in a suite and not know the perks available to them.

My family did the New Years cruise. It was awesome. Interesting ports, tons of activities and all the food and drink you can consume. I am picky and can honestly say kudos to NCL. The family suite rocks. It was spacious and tastefully decorated. Bathroom was like home with all the bells and whistles. Great perks like nightly appetizers. Now for the constructive criticism. The dining service was lackluster if not mechanical. We ate in the specialty restaurants. They didn't have enough staff--maybe it was the busy holiday cruise? No busboys usually--waiters had to bus their own tables without help. If they would take the service up a notch, I would give the Star an "A." Also, the policy on bottled waters and coffee/juices is annoying. Why charge for those beverages when you are on the unlimited beverage program? Shouldn't they be providing bottled water in the suites free of charge? I would also recommend that they serve coffee/juice on the pool deck to the diners--wouldn't be hard. Aside from those service issues, I was impressed by the quality of the boat and overall professionalism. PS Margery and Jennifer, our cabin staff on Floor 12, were excellent----as was Rose in the spa. Get a massage from Rose.

Edited by Mountinfun
spelling