ultimate cruise packing list

Jeff&Mel

I have to agree with SadieN. I think we all develop what we need to have with us and what we can live without. My list probably wouldn't help you much because over time I have changed from needing everything I own on a cruise to just enough clothing. This is what I would take on a seven day cruise for myself:

1 pair flip flops

1 pair black slip on sandals

2 pairs of dressy slacks

1 pair of gauze material white pants

4 blouses to match

1 pair of black palazzos

2 formal blouses

1 pashmina to adorn with

3-4 pairs of shorts

4-6 blouses

bathing suit or two

scarf or two

light sweater

nightgown

coverup

underwear

few pieces of jewelry in a roll bag

makeup, toiletries, travel soap sheets-just in case

various chargers, i-Pad, Nook

Belkin travel surge protector

travel clothing pins

We pack in a carry on. We've had luggage lost three times....one time it was lost, found and then never returned. Easier to deal with it on our own. Some of what I bring that is more casual, I can wear the next day with my shorts. Totally depends on my mood. Getting ready to pack for our cruise on the 2nd of January....thinking I need to pare my list again. It's a killjoy to come home from a cruise and have mountains of clothes to wash in my opinion. Others may not share my opinion and I can respect that. I need ease.

I have a master packing list saved in my computer. I created it myself, and tweaked it over numerous trips. It includes everything I have every needed to take on a trip, be it a Caribbean cruise or a ski trip. It is very detailed as far as cosmetics/toiletries, electronics, general travel stuff etc. For clothes, it just lists categories. When I plan a new trip, I save a new version of list, name it according to the trip it's for, and then delete things I know I won't need or have decided I don't want to take for whatever reason. (ex. ski pants on a cruise, shampoo if I'm staying in a hotel that provides it, etc.), then I expand each clothing category with specifics for that trip, depending on the type of trip, time of year, climate etc. I usually work on the trip-specific list for a period of time prior to the trip, i.e. once I decide on a particular outfit I update the list. When I'm ready to actually begin packing, I print a copy and cross things off as I pack them.

I too use a master list that is tweaked before and after each cruise. (Even then, I overpack because I get stressed out making decisions -so it's an anxiety-buster to take a few extra things!) But something I have found helpful is to note, each day while on the cruise, what I actually wore that day for both daytime and evening - including shoes and hose (if any). I keep these notes in an ongoing Excel spreadsheet. As a cruise progresses, I note outfits that worked well, or need adjustment ("get new black sneakers - these ones don't have any tread left" / "find navy shorts with cargo pockets to hold cellphone and passport") etc. - then when I get home, I take care to change up the master list and/or go shopping (oh darn). When the next cruise to that same location and/or type of weather comes around, I can go to my Excel spreadsheet and look back at what I actually wore previously to that location/climate, with notes as to whether it was a good choice. This routine has served me well and helps limit stress!

Edited by QuilterGirl