Ama Tulip Time 2017

Deval

2017 cruises just opened up and today we booked Amaprima for 4/6, our first river cruise. I've been reading a lot here on the boards so I've captured many good suggestions. If anything immediately comes to mind from anyone, don't hold back throw it out here - I'm a sponge and am keen to learn all I can to ensure we have a fantastic time!

2017 cruises just opened up and today we booked Amaprima for 4/6, our first river cruise. I've been reading a lot here on the boards so I've captured many good suggestions. If anything immediately comes to mind from anyone, don't hold back throw it out here - I'm a sponge and am keen to learn all I can to ensure we have a fantastic time!

Good morning:).....I am going on my first River Cruise on this same

itinerary but I am going in APRIL 2016:D.....I will be on AMA's STELLA

(she is brand new):D......I will be happy to post about my experience

when I return home.

I can't believe we are almost into the New Year! Then I will be really

looking at the countdown;):D:)

when I return home.

You've picked a good time to go....no guarantee, but the odds are in your favor. If you have an opportunity to visit Aalsmeer and the flower auction, I would suggest doing it. When I went with Vantage it was an optional and it was worth every cent. Also, if you're flying in or out of Amsterdam try to get a window seat. The tulips fields are visible from the air and will take your breath away.

I wanted to mention that I took an early April river cruise and visited the tulip gardens. It can be quite chilly in April and not many tulips were in bloom. They planted many in pots and the gardens are beautiful even without the tulips. Timing is important and we were disappointed due to their apparent late arrival that year. It is a bit of a gamble similar to New England Fall foliage timing.

Took tulips in April with Uniworld...weather was definitely on the cool side...chilly at times but when we got to the Keuchenhof Gardens early May, the colors just exploded! Nothing like it. However, you cannot predict when the colors will be at their peak. Just know..about the end of April, beginning of May. The temps stay cool but just layer up and you will be fine. Nothing like it!

Check out my website to see for yourself. A great trip!

Rick

when I return home.

We're on AmaSerena, probably a few days before you cruise. We took our first river cruise in August and enjoyed it very much.

I couldn't go any later than April 7th, but chose the 3rd, I don't even remember why. Serena is only about a year old, and I guess I decided to save a few $$$. I knew neither date would guarantee the tulips would be in total profusion, but I'm certainly hoping!

Anyway, I found it interesting to see that you're doing something so similar to what I'm doing. I expect we will both have a wonderful time.

Are you flying out of Orlando?

And to Hydrokitty, thx for mentioning the flower auction. I don't know if it'll be available for us, but if so, we definitely will do it.

We're on AmaSerena, probably a few days before you cruise. We took our first river cruise in August and enjoyed it very much.

I couldn't go any later than April 7th, but chose the 3rd, I don't even remember why. Serena is only about a year old, and I guess I decided to save a few $$$. I knew neither date would guarantee the tulips would be in total profusion, but I'm certainly hoping!

Anyway, I found it interesting to see that you're doing something so similar to what I'm doing. I expect we will both have a wonderful time.

Are you flying out of Orlando?

And to Hydrokitty, thx for mentioning the flower auction. I don't know if it'll be available for us, but if so, we definitely will do it.

Hi May:)....too funny how things work out....the 7th worked out much

better for me;)...

Orlando? Nope...I live in Jacksonville and was able to get good flights

directly from here with good prices (in my opinion). Jax/Newark/AMS

going over and AMS/Dulles/Jax coming back home.

What hotel are you staying at? I booked the Banks Mansion......it looks

really lovely:) and one of the gals on the Europe forum who lives in

Amsterdam gave it high marks:D

Edited by Lois R

Serena is only a few months old. We are just back from a Rhine cruise aboard her and it was hands down the best of all of our 11 river cruises.

It is a crapshoot as to what early April will bring as no one can predict the winter weather, which is what affects the spring bloom. We went the first week in April and had crisp weather and a gorgeous, sunny day in the gardens.

Serena is only a few months old. We are just back from a Rhine cruise aboard her and it was hands down the best of all of our 11 river cruises.

It is a crapshoot as to what early April will bring as no one can predict the winter weather, which is what affects the spring bloom. We went the first week in April and had crisp weather and a gorgeous, sunny day in the gardens.

Gorgeous, sunny weather sounds wonderful; crisp is good for us from Florida. We have crisp today. It was 56 when I went out at 11:30 am, then about 65 when I returned at 5 pm. Gorgeous blue sky, as I hope I see with the tulips, lol.

We've only done one river cruise, on AmaSonata, and we were quite happy. Very glad to hear your experience was so positive.

We are all so blessed to get to travel like this. Keep enjoying.

Hi May:)....too funny how things work out....the 7th worked out much

better for me;)...

Orlando? Nope...I live in Jacksonville and was able to get good flights

directly from here with good prices (in my opinion). Jax/Newark/AMS

going over and AMS/Dulles/Jax coming back home.

What hotel are you staying at? I booked the Banks Mansion......it looks

really lovely:) and one of the gals on the Europe forum who lives in

Amsterdam gave it high marks:D

I would've loved to have met you in person, Lois. Perhaps another time!

We are taking advantage of the free airfare, but Tampa wasn't included so we decided we'll drive to Orlando and take the free air (which is from there). That way, we don't need a hotel in Amsterdam. Ama will be responsible if we are delayed.

We did love the city when we were there a few years ago, before embarking on the Connie for a cruise to Istanbul. So very much to see! There's something called an iAmsterdam card that can be useful, although it didn't include the Ann Frank House.

We're also looking forward to Antwerp and Arnhem -- and those gardens! I'm guessing your itinerary is the same as ours.

I hope you will find river cruising as delightful as we do -- I definitely expect you will. Shall look forward to visiting with you all about it, here.

I would've loved to have met you in person, Lois. Perhaps another time!

We are taking advantage of the free airfare, but Tampa wasn't included so we decided we'll drive to Orlando and take the free air (which is from there). That way, we don't need a hotel in Amsterdam. Ama will be responsible if we are delayed.

We did love the city when we were there a few years ago, before embarking on the Connie for a cruise to Istanbul. So very much to see! There's something called an iAmsterdam card that can be useful, although it didn't include the Ann Frank House.

We're also looking forward to Antwerp and Arnhem -- and those gardens! I'm guessing your itinerary is the same as ours.

I hope you will find river cruising as delightful as we do -- I definitely expect you will. Shall look forward to visiting with you all about it, here.

1) For free airfare I definitely would have driven to Orlando;)

2) Free or not, I would never fly overseas without arriving a day

early.

And 3) lots of our stops are the same and I am planning to have

a wonderful time too:D

1) For free airfare I definitely would have driven to Orlando;)

2) Free or not, I would never fly overseas without arriving a day

early.

And 3) lots of our stops are the same and I am planning to have

a wonderful time too:D

We could've taken some other discount rather than the free air, but we decided to be brave/stupid and arrive on embarkation day and be thrifty. We've only arrived day of departure one other time, with the cruise line doing the air, then, too.

:D back atcha!

We almost always spend time in Europe pre and/or post a river cruise but when we did Tulip Time it was not an option for us due to timing. We flew in and out just for cruise and it was fine. Amsterdam is easier to get to than many other cities for us. We fly non stop to London and then take Easy Jet to our next destination. In the case of Amsterdam we could have jumped on a train if needed to get there from London.

Not our preference but it worked out for us.

I was looking at the detailed itinerary today and saw that on some days the port time is only 2-3 hours. Is that because you get off on a tour and get back on in the next port a short distance away??

I was looking at the detailed itinerary today and saw that on some days the port time is only 2-3 hours. Is that because you get off on a tour and get back on in the next port a short distance away??

In the detailed itinerary, does it describe the shore excursions? That would help you confirm your guess.

On my planned trip in April of '06, I think there are two days where we're cruising between stops, over the lunch hour. Those mornings will be short tours. Perhaps that's what yours has?