Everything.. Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve!

FreestyleNovice

msc-cruises-ocean-cay-marine-reserve.jpg

Pic credit Dutch cruise blog: http://www.cruisereiziger.nl

"MSC Cruises to open marine reserve on idyllic cay in the Bahamas.

MSC has unveiled ambitious plans to create an exclusive marine reserve experience for its passengers in the Bahamas!

The cay was previously used for sand extraction but the ambitious plans will see it transformed into a marine reserve that coexists with the local ecosystem.

It will transform the local economy from exploiting the natural resources to conserving them.

MSC Cruises’ Executive Chairman Pierfrancesco Vago, who signed a 100-year lease for the island with Bahamian Prime Minister Perry Christie, said: “This is a natural progression for our company, which is growing very rapidly, and we are thrilled about providing this totally new experience for our guests in the Caribbean.

“Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve and its exclusive offerings will be a magnificent extension of our shipboard experiences.

“We are scrupulous about ensuring every decision we take keeps each of our ships true to the promise of our brand, offering the authenticity and quality our guests expect.”

He said the exclusive marine reserve will be the cornerstone of MSC Cruises’ Caribbean programme, offering some of the finest beaches and Caribbean-inspired experiences.

The 95-acre island has just over two miles of pristine shore along six distinct beaches, and will be the biggest island development by any cruise company in the Caribbean, according to MSC Cruises, which plans to invest more than £134million to create a natural haven.

A purpose-built berth and pier will give passengers direct access to the island from their ship, which will be especially useful to enjoy the island’s night life.

A Bahamian village will include a 2,000-seat amphitheatre for live music and entertainment plus restaurants, bars and shops.

Cay MSC Marine Reserve is 20 miles (32 km) south of Bimini Island in the Bahamas and 65 miles (104.5 km) east of Miami, in Florida.

Landscaping will include more than 80 indigenous Caribbean trees, plus grasses, flowers and shrubs such as Jamaica Dogwood, Red, Black and White Mangroves and Beach Morning Glory.

The northwest corner of the island has been set aside for MSC Yacht Club guests as an exclusive spa and wellness sanctuary, with private bungalows and massage huts.

A network of paths for running and walking will cross the island, with bicycles available to rent, water sports and beach games.

Highlights will include a family beach with kids’ restaurant, play areas, an inland lagoon and zip wire crossing the island.

And there will also be a pavilion for weddings and other celebrations.

Work will begin in March 2016, and the island will open to guests in December 2017, when the next generation ship MSC Seaside launches.

MSC Divina, which will also sail from Miami, plus Cuba-based MSC Opera and MSC Armonia, will also use the island.

The inaugural December 2017 cruise on MSC Seaside is now on sale, and the maiden voyage from Miami will be the first to visit the island."

Edited by FreestyleNovice

WOW, I am impressed. That is a LOT of work to do in 1.5 years. I hope they meet their goal on this one.

Only other island I know that offers a dock is Disney's Castaway Cay. This one looks like it will blow that one right off the map if they get all they want on the island.

I hope all goes according to plan and they are up and running for the inaugural Seaside sailing. While I don't plan to be on the first few sailings, I am looking to book for February 2018 and this private island looks really appealing!

Edited by cot427

Thanks freestyle for all info. Was on your everything Escape posts. Planning to try MSC Seaside and would love to have this private island as a port/beach day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pleasure! Here's a Google Map link to the island;

https://goo.gl/maps/79AHdxjRfxG2

Very impressive indeed.

The following comment "A Bahamian village will include a 2,000-seat amphitheatre for live music and entertainment plus restaurants, bars and shops" makes me think that it is going to be used for more than just cruises. Possible overnight stop? or maybe they are planning on building a hotel.

Given that it is so close to Miami, they can even have a show on the island, leave at 2:00 am and make to Miami by 6:00 am.

On the detail maps you can the zipline and it's 3 towers;

It goes from the lagoon island to the center, to the round square at the entrance of the pier (or vice versa, or two ways down from the center tower?what do you think?).

28kq2s0.png

http://www.portsofcall.co.uk/msc-cruises-private-ocean-cay-facts/ wrote about it in #6 and speculated it could be from the southern lighthouse but it doesn't seems to be.

I tried to make a comparison, not exactly 1:1 scale but almost. ;)

jh8nqe.png

The already excavated/dredged channel, the turning basin for the ship to turn around, it's all already there. Simply amazing MSC got their hands on this so close to Miami.

On a sidenote, not sure how other private islands are run but NCL uses a fairly large road and area for island maintenance (the tenders and small small yard with slipway/facilities taken in consideration). I am not sure I see any maintenance/service roads on MSC's OC. Albeit for (re)stocking the various bars?

WOW, I am impressed. That is a LOT of work to do in 1.5 years. I hope they meet their goal on this one.

Only other island I know that offers a dock is Disney's Castaway Cay. This one looks like it will blow that one right off the map if they get all they want on the island.

Castaway Cay was acquired in 1997, and was put into service in 1998 (18 months), after spending $25,000,000. Numerous upgrades have been made to the island since its inception. The island is estimated to be 1,000 acres in size.

Castaway Cay is a phenomenal facility ... and I am hoping Ocean Cay will compare (one way or another). Currently, Castaway does not offer an amphitheater or any such large group entertainment, and I believe that would spoil the idyllic atmosphere. On the other hand, the fact that Ocean Cay will enable ships to stay until midnight is fabulous ... potentially lending itself to rival Mardi-Gras or Key West.

Very impressive indeed.

The following comment "A Bahamian village will include a 2,000-seat amphitheatre for live music and entertainment plus restaurants, bars and shops" makes me think that it is going to be used for more than just cruises. Possible overnight stop? or maybe they are planning on building a hotel.

Given that it is so close to Miami, they can even have a show on the island, leave at 2:00 am and make to Miami by 6:00 am.

At only 95 acres, there's not much room for expansion ... unless they are thinking about a facility similar to Costa Maya.

My understanding of the Disney Castaway Cay lease is that no overnight stays are permitted, and no hotel facilities for guests could be built or utilized. I am not sure if that is a Bahamian government mandate for all island leases.

Edited by SDLong329

With the zipline there the lagoon island can't be exclusively Yacht Club only. Something I thought when I read about a YC area in "the north west" part. Probably too big to exclude it anyways. :)

The island as shown in post #17 is a proper orientation, with North being at the top of the photo, as some of you likely already know. So the promotional drawings are not oriented north-top; they show the east coast on top. The ship pier will be on the south side of the island.

The northwest part of the island doesn't have the zipline, so I have hope that there indeed will be a portion exclusive to the Yacht Club.

L

The island as shown in post #17 is a proper orientation, with North being at the top of the photo, as some of you likely already know. So the promotional drawings are not oriented north-top; they show the east coast on top. The ship pier will be on the south side of the island.

The northwest part of the island doesn't have the zipline, so I have hope that there indeed will be a portion exclusive to the Yacht Club.

L

Sharp observation, nice, one to keep in mind! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

"MSC to start work on Ocean Cay Marine Reserve this October

Author: Rebecca Gibson/Thursday, September 15, 2016/Categories: News, Cruise news

Rate this article: No rating

MSC Cruises is officially break ground for its new Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve in the Bahamas on 6 October 2016.

MSC signed a 100-year lease agreement to occupy and develop the island with Perry Christie, Prime Minister of the Bahamas in December 2015 and has been working with the Bahamian Government and ecologists to develop the US$200 million cay, a onetime sand extraction station.

Initially, MSC planned to break ground on the development in March 2016 and open it to guests in December 2017, however work will now start on 6 October in the presence of Prime Minister Christie. The island will then open in October 2018.

MSC Seaside and MSC Divina, which were scheduled to call at Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve between December 2017 and October 2018, will call at Nassau, Bahamas instead.

“As we set out to finalise construction plans for this one-of-a-kind destination, we realised that to ensure the level of quality and attention to details in both infrastructure and services that our guests have rightfully come to expect from MSC Cruises, it was only appropriate to allot a longer timeframe,” said Pierfrancesco Vago, executive chairman of MSC Cruises. “In fact, while working on the final project, it was hard not want to further enrich this unique beach destination with new and additional unique services for our guests. This naturally called for more time than originally planned. At the same time, today I am also pleased to announce that works on the island have already started in earnest, as originally planned.”

Billed as the biggest island development by any cruise company in the Caribbean, the 95-acre island will be located 32km south of Bimini and 104.5km east of Miami in Florida. It will reflect the culture and natural landscape of the Bahamas by offering indigenous Caribbean plants and trees; a traditional Bahamian village; restaurants and bars offering local specialities; shops; and an arrival centre with island-themed music gazebo.

Other highlights will include a 2,000-seat amphitheatre; watersports facilities; bicycle rentals and beach games; a family beach with a children’s restaurant and play areas; a lagoon; a zip wire crossing the island; walking and running paths; and a pavilion for hosting weddings and other celebrations. MSC Yacht Club guests will also have exclusive access to a spa and wellness sanctuary with private bungalows and massage huts on the north-west corner of the island."

http://www.cruiseandferry.net/articles/msc-to-start-work-on-ocean-cay-marine-reserve-this-october-1

Edited by FreestyleNovice